+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR card travel

Jun 20, 2023
Hello everyone, my pr card has expired and l am in india right now and planning to return in the upcoming days. I have a permanent resident travel document. My question is are the transit visa requirements same as a permanent resident ( since I am traveling with a expired pr card and indian passport) while transferring through multiple airports in different countries. My route of travel is New Delhi to Dubai , Dubai to Frankfurt, then Frankfurt to Toronto.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hello everyone, my pr card has expired and l am in india right now and planning to return in the upcoming days. I have a permanent resident travel document. My question is are the transit visa requirements same as a permanent resident ( since I am traveling with a expired pr card and indian passport) while transferring through multiple airports in different countries. My route of travel is New Delhi to Dubai , Dubai to Frankfurt, then Frankfurt to Toronto.
Your PRTD documents is same as PR card . You need to check as a Indian passport holder if you need to visa to enter that country. Guess for Dubai you get visa on arrival, you need to see for Frankfurt if you need visa or you are exempt.

Reactions: Registereduser

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
while transferring through multiple airports in different countries. My route of travel is New Delhi to Dubai , Dubai to Frankfurt, then Frankfurt to Toronto.
You should check with your airline(s). If you are travelling with tickets booked through a single airline* with only in-airport transfers (i.e. not entering the country by leaving the international zone), generally your document giving admission to Canada will be sufficient for that transit.

*When I say booked via a single airline, meaning eg booked through Emirates or Lufthansa (for example) and any flights not operated by that airline or code-shared are through their partners (esp for things like Star Alliance or the like).

So ask the airline.

Reactions: Registereduser
Jun 20, 2023
You should check with your airline(s). If you are travelling with tickets booked through a single airline* with only in-airport transfers (i.e. not entering the country by leaving the international zone), generally your document giving admission to Canada will be sufficient for that transit.

*When I say booked via a single airline, meaning eg booked through Emirates or Lufthansa (for example) and any flights not operated by that airline or code-shared are through their partners (esp for things like Star Alliance or the like).

So ask the airline.

Jun 20, 2023
It's by Qatar Airways till Dubai and then Air Canada from Frankfurt. It says baggage recheck required. And transition through same terminal at Frankfurt. So is it that if the the connecting airlines are different then PNR numbers are also different ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It's by Qatar Airways till Dubai and then Air Canada from Frankfurt. It says baggage recheck required. And transition through same terminal at Frankfurt. So is it that if the the connecting airlines are different then PNR numbers are also different ?
Sorry, don't know. (I also don't understand your above - Qatar airways to Dubai _and then how do you get to Frankfurt_?)

It will depend in part on what arrangements made in the airport/between airlines where you have to re-check your luggage. In some places, this means going through passport control first, in some places there are arrangements for such cases.

You say 'it says' baggage recheck required - what is it?