+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR Card Renewal - 2 years now in Canada

kusrbo

Feb 2, 2017
Hi,

Hope you can provide right guidance.

PR card was expired 3 months ago and currently its been just few days over 2 years in Canada. To meet RO, got to stay in Canada for 2 years in last 5 years, its 2 years and assuming RO obligation is satisfied now, hope submitting a renewal application will be straight forward? considering to submit renewal application myself but if its not a straight forward case and there can be possible questions, would like to take help of a immigration consultant.

Anyone in similar situation or had gone through a similar situation, could you please advise?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

PR card was expired 3 months ago and currently its been just few days over 2 years in Canada. To meet RO, got to stay in Canada for 2 years in last 5 years, its 2 years and assuming RO obligation is satisfied now, hope submitting a renewal application will be straight forward? considering to submit renewal application myself but if its not a straight forward case and there can be possible questions, would like to take help of a immigration consultant.

Anyone in similar situation or had gone through a similar situation, could you please advise?
The renewal form is pretty straight forward. Shouldn't need the help of an immigration consultant.

Reactions: scylla

kusrbo

Feb 2, 2017
The renewal form is pretty straight forward. Shouldn't need the help of an immigration consultant.
Thanks for the prompt response.

My concern is about submitting the application now when PR card was expired 3 months ago. I waited till now to finish 2 years which I completed couple of weeks ago.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the prompt response.

My concern is about submitting the application now when PR card was expired 3 months ago. I waited till now to finish 2 years which I completed couple of weeks ago.
It's not an issue. You can submit a renewal even if PR card is invalid.

Reactions: scylla and kusrbo

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Would suggest leaving a buffer of 2-3 months to reduce the chances of longer processing.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My guess would be that 2-3 months buffer might be excessive, esp if your two years (730 days) is a straight two years. Perhaps 30 days enough if no complicated travel and straight as they say. Some might say 15 days enough. YOu are probably the best judge of whether there is anything that might lead them to check your file in more detail/delay the processing.

BUT: there's no harm in waiting, say, 60 days. You have to decide based on whether you have any specific issues for which you need a PR card more quickly, etc. If all your other cards are up to date and you've no travel planned (except say ground trips to USA), then basically you're not in a hurry.

[The downside being that inevitably if you are in a hurry, that's when Murphy's Law kicks in and applying early won't help much.]

Reactions: kusrbo

kusrbo

Feb 2, 2017
My guess would be that 2-3 months buffer might be excessive, esp if your two years (730 days) is a straight two years. Perhaps 30 days enough if no complicated travel and straight as they say. Some might say 15 days enough. YOu are probably the best judge of whether there is anything that might lead them to check your file in more detail/delay the processing.

BUT: there's no harm in waiting, say, 60 days. You have to decide based on whether you have any specific issues for which you need a PR card more quickly, etc. If all your other cards are up to date and you've no travel planned (except say ground trips to USA), then basically you're not in a hurry.

[The downside being that inevitably if you are in a hurry, that's when Murphy's Law kicks in and applying early won't help much.]
I have straight two years in Canada (landed on Oct 27 2021) except for 3 weeks vacation in the month of Feb 2023. All my other cards are up to date and would like to get PR sooner I can, that way I will be in comfort to plan any further vacations :)

Just curious - "(except say ground trips to USA)" - doesn't these ground trips require PR card to enter into the country?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have straight two years in Canada (landed on Oct 27 2021) except for 3 weeks vacation in the month of Feb 2023. All my other cards are up to date and would like to get PR sooner I can, that way I will be in comfort to plan any further vacations :)

Just curious - "(except say ground trips to USA)" - doesn't these ground trips require PR card to enter into the country?
It is up to you. I don't think anyone can tell you what the chances are of any delays. Again, my impression is that 30 days is a decent buffer for a simple travel background. But I cannot say for sure.

No, you don't need a PR card to enter at a land border; unless you have a US passport, you mostly NEED a PR card to board a flight to Canada. If you cross at a land border (private vehicle or taxi or on foot, i.e. not a 'commercial carrier'), your expired card or really anything that lets them determine that you are a PR is enough. If you're itching to travel, you'd at least have the backup of returning via nearest US airport - or going by car or whatever - if your new pr card doesn't come as quickly as you hope.