+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR Card (give-up PR status) is mandatory for FRESH PR Application

tric

Jan 24, 2016
Hi,

I have a PR card (which expired in Nov, 2014) and I am not meeting RO of 730 days.

At this point, best option is to re-apply from scratch under Express entry.

If, I want to reapply for Canada Federal skilled worker under express entry, I had following questions.

1) As my PR card is expired (Nov 2014), still i am a PR of Canada (as per the rules).

To reapply for fresh PR application under Express entry, is it required /mandatory to voluntarily give-up my current PR status ?

On CIC website, reasons why to voluntarily give-up PR status are given as:

Why would I renounce my permanent resident status?:
"•You want to obtain citizenship or permanent resident status in another country and that country requires you to renounce permanent resident status in Canada;
•You only want to visit Canada and you know you have not met the residency obligations because you have been outside of Canada for a long period of time and ◦you don’t want to wait for a visa officer to assess whether or not you are still a permanent resident of Canada; or
◦You would like to avoid delays at the Port of Entry.
•You no longer want to live in Canada permanently.
"
OR

2) I DO NOT Need to voluntarily give-up and just start the normal fresh application process ?

If i remember, in previous PR application form, there was an option, where we need to mention if we are a permanent resident of Canada or not.
Does the same old form hold good for new EE scheme as well ? where I can just mention previous PR holder details as Yes?

Above reasons, mention if you want to apply for other country PR visa and for Canada visitor visa, BUT do not mention about expired PR card .
Also, i see the last point mentions "You no longer want to live in Canada permanently".

3) Also, last but not the least, if i give-up my current PR status, will it cause any issue or problem when i am applying for a fresh PR application for Express entry ?
The last point above does it take into account future PR applications also ?

Your insight will be really helpful, whether or not i need to voluntarily give-up my current PR status (which has an expired PR card).

Thanks,
tric

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
tric said:
Hi,

I have a PR card (which expired in Nov, 2014) and I am not meeting RO of 730 days.

At this point, best option is to re-apply from scratch under Express entry.

If, I want to reapply for Canada Federal skilled worker under express entry, I had following questions.

1) As my PR card is expired (Nov 2014), still i am a PR of Canada (as per the rules).

To reapply for fresh PR application under Express entry, is it required /mandatory to voluntarily give-up my current PR status ?

On CIC website, reasons why to voluntarily give-up PR status are given as:

Why would I renounce my permanent resident status?:
"•You want to obtain citizenship or permanent resident status in another country and that country requires you to renounce permanent resident status in Canada;
•You only want to visit Canada and you know you have not met the residency obligations because you have been outside of Canada for a long period of time and ◦you don’t want to wait for a visa officer to assess whether or not you are still a permanent resident of Canada; or
◦You would like to avoid delays at the Port of Entry.
•You no longer want to live in Canada permanently.
"
OR

2) I DO NOT Need to voluntarily give-up and just start the normal fresh application process ?

If i remember, in previous PR application form, there was an option, where we need to mention if we are a permanent resident of Canada or not.
Does the same old form hold good for new EE scheme as well ? where I can just mention previous PR holder details as Yes?

Above reasons, mention if you want to apply for other country PR visa and for Canada visitor visa, BUT do not mention about expired PR card .
Also, i see the last point mentions "You no longer want to live in Canada permanently".

3) Also, last but not the least, if i give-up my current PR status, will it cause any issue or problem when i am applying for a fresh PR application for Express entry ?
The last point above does it take into account future PR applications also ?

Your insight will be really helpful, whether or not i need to voluntarily give-up my current PR status (which has an expired PR card).

Thanks,
tric
1) Regardless of whether or not you meet the residency obligation requirements or have an expired PR card, you remain a Permanent Resident until that status is formally lost, through due process.

2) You can NOT apply for any new immigration status, including a new PR application again, unless you have lost your existing status. One way of doing this is by renouncing it.

3) No, it won't affect it.

agentsophy

Apr 26, 2017
Hi,

I have the same question...I have an expired PR card but my husband is now applying for EE, what did you end up doing?