+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR card and UK passport

rahul00

Star Member
Jul 26, 2009
hi all
I arrived in Toronto June 2005 then had to go to my home country (UK) after 45 days. All this time I was in UK.
My PR expired in 2010 and i have check on this forum i cant enter with expired pr card Or enter Canada with UK passport without stating them that I have expired PR card

documents with me are :
1.SIN card
2.health card expired
3.Pr card expired
4. landed documents

can anyone please advice

1 if its possible to enter Canada this way or will i be deported to UK and will NT be granted an entry to Canada.
2 or just enter Canada as visitor and start staying there and complete my 2years and then apply for renew.

If some one has similar problem and tried their luck with Canada land border crossing experience please share your experience.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you read through this section of the forum you will notice there is nothing unusual about your situation. Lots of PRs leave Canada and are out for such lengthy periods they breach the RO. Some return to Canada typically within the validity period of their PR Card (in theory it reduces scrutiny by reducing the chance of being sent to Secondary Inspection) and are lucky not to be reported which is the start of legal proceedings to revoke your PR status. They then get their RO back on track by staying in Canada for 730 days straight effectively under the radar and with no contact/interaction with CBSA/CIC. Your UK passport makes it easy for you to get to the Canadian border without needing a PR Card as its visitor visa exempt. Once at the POE then all depends on who you find and whether they report you.

Under the Constitution all PRs even those under report have the right of entry into Canada. If reported you have 30 days to appeal and are issued a conditional removal order. Between 12-18 months later you get to go to court to explain why you breached the RO. Acceptable reasons are severe medical situations, bereavement etc. If its because you just had a better life/ job/ other lifestyle related reason then you lose the appeal and have to leave Canada. If you ignore this and hang out in Canada then the removal order becomes a deportation order.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Note you may want to return to Canada prior to March 15, 2016 when the Electronic Travel Authorization scheme becomes mandatory for air travel to Canada for visitor visa exempt nationals. All indications point to this making 'sneaking' back into Canada as a visitor visa exempt PR with an expired PR Card/RO breach being more problematic.

rahul00

Star Member
Jul 26, 2009
Hi

How I will come to know I am reported and have 30 days. Do the immigration officer tell us at the time of entry ?

Can some one pls explain

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
rahul00 said:
Hi

How I will come to know I am reported and have 30 days. Do the immigration officer tell us at the time of entry ?

Can some one pls explain
You will be informed and given appropriate information in case you wish to appeal.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rahul00 said:
Hi

Can some one pls explain
Typically you get a mug shot, fingerprinted and sign documentation on this so you will know what's going on!

rahul00

Star Member
Jul 26, 2009
Hi all

What I got from the discussion is

1. I should take a risk with my UK passport and enter Canada without showing my expired PR card and all will be good if I am lucky
2. If I am unlucky, they will give me some document in writing and then my PR will be revoked and I have to leave Canada in some sepificed time.

I think I should take risk and enter Canada

Thanks

CastorT

Jul 12, 2015
If you use your UK passport without saying your pr status,it means you will give up your pr for good!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
CastorT said:
If you use your UK passport without saying your pr status,it means you will give up your pr for good!
That's completely incorrect. Please don't go scaremongering.

avidesign

Jun 28, 2015
I did not understand Entering with foreign passports (UK For example) without presenting the PR leads to revocation of the PR ??

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
avidesign said:
I did not understand Entering with foreign passports (UK For example) without presenting the PR leads to revocation of the PR ??
It doesn't. That poster was incorrect.

rahul00

Star Member
Jul 26, 2009
Hi all

Can anyone suggest me the correct way to entry canada

Is it that I enter canada and tell them that I have a expired PR card

Thanks

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
At some point in time the Primary Line inspector will either assume you are visitor or ask what status you hold in Canada. If processed as a visitor he/she may stamp you with a 6 months admission and you are on your merry way to survive till 730 days after re-entry and get your RO back in good standing. The correct answer on the status question is to state you are a PR. Basically if you don't get sent to Secondary Inspection (SI) you will likely be ok. If you get sent to SI then it all depends who you find on the day. You have no influence over SI referral since you have an expired PR Card and operationally its the easiest trigger for PRs to SI referral.