+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR, Applying for PRTD and entering from US

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
Hello
My son has just turned 20 and has not met the RO, and the last time we visited Quebec was in 2011. I will summarize my worries and I appreciate your help:
1-He was just refused for a US visa so the last option is to apply for PRTD in the country where we live in. what are the chances for him to get approved for PRTD since he was a minor when he left Canada.
2-If he was refused for PRTD, can we file an appeal, and if yes, should he wait for the appeal outside Canada knowing that it takes 2-3 years? or he can get a PRTD/temporary PR in the meantime?
3-My other son is American and he is 19, but also his PR expired last year. Is it better for him to enter from US or apply with his brother for PRTD.
4-Mother has an appeal hearing in November and she has a US visa. Is it better to enter from USA or apply for PRTD using the letter for her hearing?
5-if my sons were granted PRTD in the country where they live based on being minor when they left Canada, what happens when they arrive to Canada. do they apply for PR?
6-I have a US visa and will enter from Canada:
6a- if I got reported and I appeal on time, during the appeal waiting and after getting my temporary PR, Am I allowed to work, study (pay fees as a resident) renew my Driving license that expired two years ago?
6b- if not reported, and I have to stay off the Radar for two years, will I be able to work in the meantime, study (pay fees as a resident) renew my Driving license that expired two years ago?
7- Would you please recommend the best border with the least risk knowing that I am going to Quebec? will Burlington-Vermont be easier or crossing through Buffalo and then come to Quebec? do you recommend other border?

Sorry for the long list of questions, and thank you for your support.

Regards
Hady

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Many of your questions, the answers are probabilities, and any answer you're given, the complete reverse is entirely possible to happen.

Your 20 year old son might be able to argue he was removed from Canada as a minor, but he has spent 2 years as an adult choosing not to return, which would nearly be enough to disqualify him from the RO obligation even if he'd been in status when he left - so is not a sure thing.

If you enter Canada, you will be a PR of Canada, and can do anything any other PR can do.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
1-He was just refused for a US visa so the last option is to apply for PRTD in the country where we live in. what are the chances for him to get approved for PRTD since he was a minor when he left Canada.
2-If he was refused for PRTD, can we file an appeal, and if yes, should he wait for the appeal outside Canada knowing that it takes 2-3 years? or he can get a PRTD/temporary PR in the meantime?
3-My other son is American and he is 19, but also his PR expired last year. Is it better for him to enter from US or apply with his brother for PRTD.
4-Mother has an appeal hearing in November and she has a US visa. Is it better to enter from USA or apply for PRTD using the letter for her hearing?
5-if my sons were granted PRTD in the country where they live based on being minor when they left Canada, what happens when they arrive to Canada. do they apply for PR?
6-I have a US visa and will enter from Canada:
6a- if I got reported and I appeal on time, during the appeal waiting and after getting my temporary PR, Am I allowed to work, study (pay fees as a resident) renew my Driving license that expired two years ago?
6b- if not reported, and I have to stay off the Radar for two years, will I be able to work in the meantime, study (pay fees as a resident) renew my Driving license that expired two years ago?
7- Would you please recommend the best border with the least risk knowing that I am going to Quebec? will Burlington-Vermont be easier or crossing through Buffalo and then come to Quebec? do you recommend other border?
1. No one can say what his chances are. He could be approved, he could be refused.

2. Yes, he can appeal. Unless he has been in Canada at some point in the past year, he will not be approved for a PRTD.

3. He should apply for a PRTD on his own.

4. As above, unless she has been in Canada in the past year, she won't be approved for a PRTD.

5. They are already PRs. They would need to apply to renew their PR cards.

6a. You would be allowed to work, provided you already have a valid SIN. You may or may not be able to study at the domestic rates; it depends on what individual schools accept as proof of status. Same for renewing your driver's licence.

6b. Same as above.

7. No one can recommend a border.