+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR and need to travel, not meeting res. obligation

Helenabs

Jun 2, 2014
hi all,
I have sponsored my mom and she got her PR status in March 2009. She used to travel back and forth from Germany making sure to spend 5 month a year in Canada (my dad is in Germany and not wiling to move). Last year though she wasn't able to arrive on time due to my fathers and her own health issues, so she only has about 650 days in Canada. We haven't submitted pr renewal , and now she needs to travel back to Germany. Next time she will enter canada she will do that with a PR expired.
Is she likely to have problems at the border? Should she preset the expired Pr card or just enter with her passport?
Thanks a lot!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If she goes in the non-PR line and just enters with her passport, it is likely that the immigration officer will be suspicious to why she is doing that. She should tell them she is a PR and show her expired card.

She may have problems if they realize that she does not meet the PR residency requirements. She could be reported and she could lose her PR. However, if she just wants to visit you, she doesn't need PR.