+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired Permanent resident card

canada888

Sep 9, 2013
Hi,

I am in Canada right now. Working for more than two years already.

I was landed on Sept, 2007 with my wife. Didn't stay at Canada at that time. Came back here on March, 2011.
Since our PR card was expired already on Oct, 2012. After we completed more than 730 days physical presense in Canada. We renew our PR card on May, 2013.
Just checked online status, my wife and my application are both currently in process status. And we already provided the travel ticket information to CIC to request an urgent case.
My question is, by somehow, if we cannot receive our new PR card before our travel on this Nov, 1st. Can we come back without the valid PR card?
Since we are both holding visa exemption passport, so I assume we don't need to apply a visa.
However, in order to have a safe trip back to Canada, is there any additional document I need to bring with me? For example, employment letter? my old expired PR card? or soemthing else.

Please share your advise, thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are visa exempt, you should be able to return to Canada without a problem. When you reach the immigration counter, show the expired PR card and explain that you had applied for urgent renewal but you did not get it in time.

canada888

Sep 9, 2013
I called CIC centre. They said no matter what I need to apply the travel document to prove my PR status, since my PR card was expired.
Can't use the passport and expired PR card? Please advise, thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are visa exempt, the airline will let you board the plane based on that you are visa exempt. Once you arrive at immigration, you can show your expired PR card and they will let you in. They can not turn you away because you are a PR, they have record of that and they see you have an expired card. They might give you a lecture about not having renewed your card in time and if they do, you nod and agree and then they will still let you in.

canada888

Sep 9, 2013
Hi Leon,

Thanks for your reply.

Now, for sure we cannot get the new PR card before Nov 1st.

I hope it is true on what you said. We are going and coming back with the expired card.

And we are greatly appreciated if you have any additional suggestion you can provide.

We are thinking to have the employment letter on hand, in case they might want to see it.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PR Card is proof of status for travel but you only really need it if your country of citizenship requires a visitor visa to travel to Canada since no airline will board you without it. If you are visa exempt as in your case the airline will just assume you are a regular tourist and board you. When you get to Canada then immigration will check up on your details and admit you. The airline may want you to have a return ticket which could be a pain if you are on the return leg of your trip..explain your situation but be prepared to pay for a return ticket...make sure you can cash it/ get a full refund..most airlines don't bother though including Air Canada plenty of PRs use them on single journey tickets.

canada888

Sep 9, 2013
You mean we need to prepare a return ticket? But my original ticket already showed that we are leaving from Canada to Hong Kong, and return back from Hong Kong to Canada, right?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canada888 said:
You mean we need to prepare a return ticket? But my original ticket already showed that we are leaving from Canada to Hong Kong, and return back from Hong Kong to Canada, right?
No need to purchase a return ticket. Cathay Pacific/Air Canada would let you to board the plane with your HK passport even with a one-way ticket. :)

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bring proof of your residence - job/ employment letter is best. A couple of recent pay stubs good too and say 2012 Notice of Tax Assessment. This will make things easier and faster at secondary inspection.

canada888

Sep 9, 2013
We are thinking to bring all the pay stubs for the past two and half years. :)

However, I want to share a below coversation between Canada Visa Application Centre and myself, and please share your thoughts, thanks.

Centre:
Dear Applicant,

If you do not have valid travel documents while you are outside of Canada, you may need to apply for a PRTD in order to return to Canada. The processing time is normally 15 to 30 days.

Myself:
We are holding BNO and HKSAR passport. We don't need visa to return Canada right?

Centre:
BNO and HKSAR passport holders are visa free, but because you hold permanent resident status, you may not be able to enter as a temporary resident.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You seem unsure as to the advice given which is surprising since you already used the loophole of remaining for 730 days despite an expired PR Card to meet your RO. Why not get in touch with the lawyer running this forum - he will tell you the same thing we've told you i.e. you travel to Canada on your visitor visa exempt passport and deal with the PR issue at the border...this is yet another loophole eliminating the need for a PR Card or a Travel Document.

canada888

Sep 9, 2013
I believe you more than anyone. Those converstion is from before.
I don't believe them that's why I come to the forum, thanks for your help and I do appreciate your help.