+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired Clearance Certificate Citizenship Ceremony Delays

Njadas

Jun 24, 2011
Toronto
Hey,

My citizenship application has changed recently to Decision Made and now I am waiting for notification for citizenship ceremony which I think it's going to be through Zoom. I recently read the below article regarding the rule on that the clearance certificate which must be valid at the time of oath otherwise a new valid copy is required (link below). Since my application took 1+ year to complete due to the Covid situation, my clearance certification in file is now expired (1 year validity). Is this true, and did anybody out there faced this issue. I've already taken steps to obtain an updated clearance certificate just in case, but I want to be sure on this to avoid further delays.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/08/16/covid-19s-latest-victims-would-be-citizens-waiting-to-take-their-oath-face-new-delays-over-expired-clearances.html

Thanks for your help in advance.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Your linked article also contains this excerpt:
----------
Sankey said immigration officials will request new criminal checks from other federal agencies in the event clearances have expired before a citizenship ceremony.

“It is not necessary for applicants to reapply,” she said. “Once valid clearances are returned, these clients will be prioritized and rescheduled at the earliest opportunity.”
----------
However it's good that you plan to be prepared either way.

Njadas

Jun 24, 2011
Toronto
Your linked article also contains this excerpt:
----------
Sankey said immigration officials will request new criminal checks from other federal agencies in the event clearances have expired before a citizenship ceremony.

“It is not necessary for applicants to reapply,” she said. “Once valid clearances are returned, these clients will be prioritized and rescheduled at the earliest opportunity.”
----------
However it's good that you plan to be prepared either way.
I agree with you @truesmile. Thank you for pointing this out, I must have missed this part of the article.

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
I don't remember having to submit a police clearance, was this not required for all applications?

Triet

Mar 14, 2022
Hey,

My citizenship application has changed recently to Decision Made and now I am waiting for notification for citizenship ceremony which I think it's going to be through Zoom. I recently read the below article regarding the rule on that the clearance certificate which must be valid at the time of oath otherwise a new valid copy is required (link below). Since my application took 1+ year to complete due to the Covid situation, my clearance certification in file is now expired (1 year validity). Is this true, and did anybody out there faced this issue. I've already taken steps to obtain an updated clearance certificate just in case, but I want to be sure on this to avoid further delays.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/08/16/covid-19s-latest-victims-would-be-citizens-waiting-to-take-their-oath-face-new-delays-over-expired-clearances.html

Thanks for your help in advance.
I got into the same situation too, I applied since 2019 and last update was my clearance have expired. I wondered if you already taken oath yet ? and how long you get the ceremony after the clearance arrived?