+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experts please reply as i am not clear abt 5 years !

ajoshi

Jan 19, 2006
Hi,
just want to clear my self or let me know if i am wrong

we became PR in Jan 26, 2008 never lived in canada untill june 20,2011 since than we r in canada pr already has expired in feb 13, 2013.

so in first 5 years of our pr we did not meet the requirement but if you count in last five year we did meet the requirement from Aug 2008 to Aug 2013.

so now its safe to apply for PR renewal ??

please reply

thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, it is now safe. They can only look at the past 5 years so they will see you arrived in June 2011 and now it's August 2013 so you have more than 2 years in the past 5.

You can read about this rule here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf - page 7 said:
For persons who have been permanent residents of Canada for more than five years, the only five-year period that can be considered in calculating whether an applicant has met the residency obligation is the one immediately before the application is received in the visa office. A28(2)(b)(ii) precludes a visa officer from examining any period other than the most recent five-year period immediately before the date of receipt of the application.

Even if a person had resided away from Canada for many years, but returned to Canada and resided there for a minimum of 730 days during the last five years, that person would comply with the residency obligation and remain a permanent resident. An officer is not permitted to consider just any five-year period in the applicant’s past, but must always assess the most recent five-year period preceding the receipt of the application.

ajoshi

Jan 19, 2006
thank you very very much leon. one more question regards to imm5455 in date of pr residence we put the day we become PR right ??