+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

expecting child, COPR received - urgent

uiqbal

Sep 22, 2009
Hi,

I am a British citizen granted permanent residence for ontario province(provincal nominee) today with my wife and 7 years child.
My medical is expiring on 27th Feb 2015 and so does my visa.

We are expecting our second child end of april 2015, is it possible that Canadian high commission can extend our whole family visa for 4 months, after 2 months of baby birth. They delayed the issuance of residence permit until the last month for us, and sending PR form end of 11th month which is not great. If they do extend by 4 months(Is it possible), do we have to give medical again, do we have to do a re-application.

if we go before 27th feb, will we be provided medical insurance in ontario for my wife health care. what options do we have in terms of health services?

Also can i enter before feb 27th and my wife enter in june with my two children? what will be involved in this case, new application, new medicals??

What is the best option for me to take, in a very difficult situation right now.

Thanks
uiqbal

Suryak86

Sep 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
AOR Received.
14-07-2014
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
14-08-2014 ( Medical Received : 24-08-2014)
Interview........
RPRF : March 30th, 2015
Passport Req..
20-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-04-2015
After the PR is issued, I dont think they extend the validity of it. You land or it gets cancelled. In your case, you might try to land in any province but Ontario, BC, NB and Quebec (which has exceptions for pregnant women though). Alberta is a good choice where you will have health coverage from day 1.

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
uiqbal said:
Hi,

I am a British citizen granted permanent residence for ontario province(provincal nominee) today with my wife and 7 years child.
My medical is expiring on 27th Feb 2015 and so does my visa.

We are expecting our second child end of april 2015, is it possible that Canadian high commission can extend our whole family visa for 4 months, after 2 months of baby birth. They delayed the issuance of residence permit until the last month for us, and sending PR form end of 11th month which is not great. If they do extend by 4 months(Is it possible), do we have to give medical again, do we have to do a re-application.

if we go before 27th feb, will we be provided medical insurance in ontario for my wife health care. what options do we have in terms of health services?

Also can i enter before feb 27th and my wife enter in june with my two children? what will be involved in this case, new application, new medicals??

What is the best option for me to take, in a very difficult situation right now.

Thanks
uiqbal
Did you inform the VO about the pregnancy before visa was issued? If you did not then you have to do it ASAP. Since your visa is expiring in February, you have no other option (considering the time crunch you are in) but to use the COPR and complete landing in Canada before it expires. Everybody in the family has to complete landing before the expiration of their COPR. You can use the current COPR for landing without going through anything else (no new medical/application etc) GIVEN that your VO is aware of the pregnancy and allows you to complete landing. If your VO isn't aware, then you and your wife might be refused entry in Canada because you did not disclose changing family situation to the VO (which you are required to do before landing).

Also, if you are concerned about healthcare, then you can complete landing within the expiration of the COPR and then go back to Britain.

uiqbal

Sep 22, 2009
Thanks very much for your replies, i updated the high commission on 15th january with our situation, while sending the passport photocopies and personal information including eye color etc. requested. I was told it will take 1 more month for visa processing but on COPR, date issued is for 15th Jan.

But they have replied through email yesterday, saying as below after -------- line, which is again confusing, does this mean they allow extension? the problem is they mention update in 60 days, when the visa will expire, but baby birth is in 3 months.

Now my questions:
1. How can we provide the documentation for our baby in 60 days, when the baby is due in exactly 3 months from now? My plan is to travel to Canada in June with the new baby and my whole family - therefore I would need an extension of at least 120 days in our permanent residence so I can provide Canada with all the relevant documentation for the new baby.
Can you please confirm that this is OK and for 30$ fee and providing documentation for the new baby, the permanent residence card will be reissued for me and my whole family?

2. Do we have to do medicals again for me and my family including the new baby or Canada will be able to provide unconditional extension until Mid to End June?

-----------------------------------------
Dear Mr. iqbal,

Please be advised that all dependents, whether accompanying you to Canada or not, must be medically examined. Therefore, if you and your spouse are unable to travel to Canada before the birth of your child and the expiry of your visas on 27 February 2015, your newborn child will need to be added to your application and assessed for admissibility to Canada before we can finalize your application.

Upon the birth of your child, it is requested that you provide the documents listed below. Please send clear legible photocopies rather than the original documents unless otherwise specified. If the documents are not written in either English or French, please enclose a certified translation with a photocopy of the original document.
-Updated forms which are available on our website:
New Application for Permanent Residence IMM0008 form for the principal applicant which lists your newborn child
New Additional Family Information form IMM5406 for you and your spouse which lists your newborn child
-Documents for your new baby:
Processing fee of $150 CAD
4 x passport size photographs
Long form birth certificate
Copy of passport biopage
-Re-issuance fee of $30.00 CAD

Please forward all requested documents together to the address below within 60 days from the date of this email. If we do not hear from you within that period, your application will be assessed on the basis of the information on file and your application may be refused. Please allow four months for us to review incoming correspondence. All documents submitted in support of your application are subject to verification with the issuing authority. Please do not contact us unless there are significant issues which need to be brought to our attention. Please quote your file number on all correspondence, including the envelope. Your file number is included in the subject field of this email.

Should your personal circumstances (address, marriage, divorce, birth, death, adoption) change between now and the time you leave for Canada you must report the changes to us. Visas issued without the correct information concerning family status are invalid and admission to Canada will be refused.

The issuance of an immigration visa does not ensure your eventual acceptance into the practice of your profession or occupation in Canada. It is your responsibility to determine whether any licensing/registration requirements apply to your occupation or profession in the province where you wish to settle. Do not leave employment, sell property or take any irrevocable step in anticipation of immigrating to Canada until you have received your visa(s).

We look forward to hearing from you within 60 days.

Yours sincerely,EFL
Immigration Section/Service d'immigration
High Commission of Canada/Haut-commissariat du Canada

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
uiqbal said:
Thanks very much for your replies, i updated the high commission on 15th january with our situation, while sending the passport photocopies and personal information including eye color etc. requested. I was told it will take 1 more month for visa processing but on COPR, date issued is for 15th Jan.

But they have replied through email yesterday, saying as below after -------- line, which is again confusing, does this mean they allow extension? the problem is they mention update in 60 days, when the visa will expire, but baby birth is in 3 months.

Now my questions:
1. How can we provide the documentation for our baby in 60 days, when the baby is due in exactly 3 months from now? My plan is to travel to Canada in June with the new baby and my whole family - therefore I would need an extension of at least 120 days in our permanent residence so I can provide Canada with all the relevant documentation for the new baby.
Can you please confirm that this is OK and for 30$ fee and providing documentation for the new baby, the permanent residence card will be reissued for me and my whole family?

2. Do we have to do medicals again for me and my family including the new baby or Canada will be able to provide unconditional extension until Mid to End June?

-----------------------------------------
Dear Mr. iqbal,

Please be advised that all dependents, whether accompanying you to Canada or not, must be medically examined. Therefore, if you and your spouse are unable to travel to Canada before the birth of your child and the expiry of your visas on 27 February 2015, your newborn child will need to be added to your application and assessed for admissibility to Canada before we can finalize your application.

Upon the birth of your child, it is requested that you provide the documents listed below. Please send clear legible photocopies rather than the original documents unless otherwise specified. If the documents are not written in either English or French, please enclose a certified translation with a photocopy of the original document.
-Updated forms which are available on our website:
New Application for Permanent Residence IMM0008 form for the principal applicant which lists your newborn child
New Additional Family Information form IMM5406 for you and your spouse which lists your newborn child
-Documents for your new baby:
Processing fee of $150 CAD
4 x passport size photographs
Long form birth certificate
Copy of passport biopage
-Re-issuance fee of $30.00 CAD

Please forward all requested documents together to the address below within 60 days from the date of this email. If we do not hear from you within that period, your application will be assessed on the basis of the information on file and your application may be refused. Please allow four months for us to review incoming correspondence. All documents submitted in support of your application are subject to verification with the issuing authority. Please do not contact us unless there are significant issues which need to be brought to our attention. Please quote your file number on all correspondence, including the envelope. Your file number is included in the subject field of this email.

Should your personal circumstances (address, marriage, divorce, birth, death, adoption) change between now and the time you leave for Canada you must report the changes to us. Visas issued without the correct information concerning family status are invalid and admission to Canada will be refused.

The issuance of an immigration visa does not ensure your eventual acceptance into the practice of your profession or occupation in Canada. It is your responsibility to determine whether any licensing/registration requirements apply to your occupation or profession in the province where you wish to settle. Do not leave employment, sell property or take any irrevocable step in anticipation of immigrating to Canada until you have received your visa(s).

We look forward to hearing from you within 60 days.

Yours sincerely,EFL
Immigration Section/Service d'immigration
High Commission of Canada/Haut-commissariat du Canada
Here is something you need to understand. Your COPR is not getting extended. So you MUST enter Canada before it expires in February if you want to be PRs in Canada. If you don't enter Canada by the expiration of the COPR, you will have to start the process of applying for the PR from scratch.

The response from the VO you got that I have highlighted in red can be ignored because this applies ONLY IF the baby is born BEFORE you enter Canada and BEFORE your current COPR expires. If the baby were to be born between now and when the COPR expires in February, then you would have to include the baby in the application and go through the process highlighted in red (which involves cancellation of current COPR and re-issuance together with the baby's COPR). But, since the baby will be born AFTER the COPR expires in your case, this is not relevant to you.

What IS relevant to you is the statement that I have highlighted in blue. This essentially says that you can travel to Canada with the current COPR BEFORE the baby is born. So, the only option for you if you want to be Canadian PRs is to enter Canada before your current COPR expires and then sponsor the baby for PR later on through family class (if not born in Canada).

Oh, and also take a copy of this email with you to Canada when you land to show the officials at the immigration to let them know that you did notify your VO of the pregnancy.

drngopal

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
SGVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
namaste said:
Here is something you need to understand. Your COPR is not getting extended. So you MUST enter Canada before it expires in February if you want to be PRs in Canada. If you don't enter Canada by the expiration of the COPR, you will have to start the process of applying for the PR from scratch.

The response from the VO you got that I have highlighted in red can be ignored because this applies ONLY IF the baby is born BEFORE you enter Canada and BEFORE your current COPR expires. If the baby were to be born between now and when the COPR expires in February, then you would have to include the baby in the application and go through the process highlighted in red (which involves cancellation of current COPR and re-issuance together with the baby's COPR). But, since the baby will be born AFTER the COPR expires in your case, this is not relevant to you.

What IS relevant to you is the statement that I have highlighted in blue. This essentially says that you can travel to Canada with the current COPR BEFORE the baby is born. So, the only option for you if you want to be Canadian PRs is to enter Canada before your current COPR expires and then sponsor the baby for PR later on through family class (if not born in Canada).

Oh, and also take a copy of this email with you to Canada when you land to show the officials at the immigration to let them know that you did notify your VO of the pregnancy.
Hi,
Very clearly explained as is clear from the email. Adding to the excellent explanation though I am not sure of your personal circumstances or reasons for migration, desperate situation etc my opinion is as below
1. I am sure you have waited quite long for your COPR. Why jeopardise it at the last moment, especially with the belly launched EE in place?
2. Since you have gone ahead and got your PR and your wife is still in the 2nd trimester you can still travel and either
2a. Do the landing and deliver the baby there-Best option. Medical facilities should be good and three months is a good enough time to get familiar with the medical facilities and get comfortable to welcome your new member (only issue is your fund situation) or
2b. Do the landing get your PR card in a month and return to your country for the delivery, stay as long as you like and apply for sponsoring your child and then return.

Just an opinion.

uiqbal

Sep 22, 2009
Thanks very much, i am more clearer now than before - i will have to enter Canada before PR expiry.

Quick question if i enter myself and my family enters later, do you think it will still be an issue - will it be a long process, new medicals, new application etc.

Also, if i enter Canada and i plan to come back within 1.5 weeks, what things i need to sort out on my entry, can somebody tell me about what to take care of, what documentation to take with me - i have my uncle living there, in terms of address and initial accommodation, no issues?

Thanks,
uiqbal

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
uiqbal said:
Thanks very much, i am more clearer now than before - i will have to enter Canada before PR expiry.

Quick question if i enter myself and my family enters later, do you think it will still be an issue - will it be a long process, new medicals, new application etc.

Also, if i enter Canada and i plan to come back within 1.5 weeks, what things i need to sort out on my entry, can somebody tell me about what to take care of, what documentation to take with me - i have my uncle living there, in terms of address and initial accommodation, no issues?

Thanks,
uiqbal
Anyone who does not enter before the expiration of their COPR will lose their PR. So, if your spouse's COPR expires the same time as yours in February then she will also have to enter Canada before that. If not, then you will have to separately sponsor her later on through family class with a whole new application.

During landing, you will need to show proof of the funds that is required for your family. Also, you will need to have a list of all the things that you plan on bringing with you to Canada from your home country (eg. car, jewelry, money etc). You will need to apply for PR card and for that, you will need to provide a Canadian address. It can be your uncle's address. This is pretty much the important stuff, anything else is your wish.

zenghi

Oct 29, 2013
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2013
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
-
AOR Received.
-
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
-
Med's Request
-05-01-2015
Med's Done....
-10-01-2015
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
-
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
-
uiqbal said:

Thanks,
uiqbal
Few options:

1. Land in Alberta and stay there until child is born
2. Land in ontario.. pay your delivery bills - gonna be expensive
3. All of you land and return back to UK in couple of days. in this case all of your pr will be activated, but once the child is born he will have to be sponsored.
4. You can land alone as you mentioned. in this case you have to sponsor your wife and both childs later.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
You have been probably waiting for this moment for quite some time, years maybe. Why jeopardize it now? There was plenty of time to organize everything, even becoming pregnant is no reason not to go. Just buy the tickets and enjoy your life in Canada.

drngopal

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
SGVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
uiqbal said:
Excellent, thanks very much to everybody - looking to fly in couple of weeks.
Hi,
Good to know that you have made a wise decision. Just an opinion. Make the landing as early as possible with your family. Instead of relaxing now before flying that time will be much better utilised if you land and have time to scout around finding out if you can deliver there. I am not sure what your final plans are but if it is Canada permanently then doesn't hurt in having your child born in Canada. You can also find out of you can claim Canadian citizenship for your child instead of applying for PR for him/her.

Have you decided where you want to land? If it's Alberta as someone has suggested you have cover. If Toronto the options are
1. It takes three months for your health cover. During that period you can either buy private insurance or use the services of CHCs -Community Health Centres. See the link http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4001251
Hope it helps.

uiqbal

Sep 22, 2009
Hi,

I am going to come back to UK, thanks for the useful information you shared.

Cheers,
uiqbal

Feb 25, 2016
Hi Uiqbal!

I am in a similar scenario as you - what did you end up doing at last?

Also, if you ask me, I don't think the reply from the Canadian High Commission on your email was that clear. I think they should be taking some IELTS testing themselves!

My case:

1. Applied through the FSW category in the EE scheme on 01 Sept 2015 (ITA received 10 July 2015).

2. Medicals undertaken for my family (me, my spouse and my first child) on the 05th of August 2015.

3. Received email regarding sending of final documents to issue COPR - 23 Feb 2016.

4. Guessing the COPR will be valid until 05th of Aug 2016 (1 year from the medical exams)

5. Second child expected to be born during the 1st week of July 2016.

6. If we, land in Canada prior to birth of child, and come back to Norway within to continue work here until child birth in July 2016 (want to give birth here as we are eligible for all benefits in Norway) - then the child will not be a Canadian PR and since we will not have been living in Canada - we won't be able to sponsor the child on family class? I think, please tell if I am wrong.

7. If we wait for landing until child birth in July 2016, we only have 3 weeks left before COPR expires - and getting passport issued for the newborn, plus birth certificate etc might take some time. But could then possibly seek to add the child to our existing PR application and get new COPR - that is if we manage to do all that prior to the expiry of COPR.

My dilemma is what should we do, as we cannot land there now and start living in Canada straightaway - as I have some committments in Norway, which I need to settle before I finally move over?

Please help - all your advise is highly appreciable.

Teejay

adeelcis

Star Member
Jul 30, 2015
Hi All,

I am also in the same situation. i am about to receive my COPR in July-2016 and it will expire in Mar-2017. My Wife is pregnant now and child will be born in Mar-2017.

Kindly inform me how i will inform CIC about my spouse pregnancy... is it either through email or EE FAQ ?

Regards
AA