+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exit and Entry Stamp and Time Difference

euphoria2010

Apr 20, 2019
Can anyone help me, please? I will fill up the exit and entry stamp for my self and my daughter citizenship application. I noticed that the exit stamp is one day different from the entry stamp due to the time difference.

I traveled a few trips from another country and need to update those trips under the reason section in the physical calculator and confused about the one day difference as some entry stamps are one day different from the actual exit stamp due to the time difference.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Can anyone help me, please? I will fill up the exit and entry stamp for my self and my daughter citizenship application. I noticed that the exit stamp is one day different from the entry stamp due to the time difference.

I traveled a few trips from another country and need to update those trips under the reason section in the physical calculator and confused about the one day difference as some entry stamps are one day different from the actual exit stamp due to the time difference.
While you asked the question in a slightly different way about ten days ago, my response covered both the way it was asked there and the way it is asked here.

And you responded as if you GOT IT.

Remember: entry stamp into another country NEVER documents the date a person left Canada. It documents the date that country was entered. That could be the same day, or a day later, or days later, than the date you left Canada.

The citizenship application does NOT ask applicants to disclose dates of exit or entry stamps in the passport. Passport stamps are merely evidence.

The presence calculator requires the applicant to report the precise date the applicant exited Canada, the precise date the applicant entered Canada. An applicant can use passport stamps to help refresh their memory and as a way of cross-checking their information . . . but what gets entered into the presence calculation is the actual date of leaving Canada, the actual date of entering Canada.

But as my other post explains in depth, passport stamps can easily and often be OFF from the date of exit from Canada.

FOREMOST: Applicants should enter the actual date the PR left Canada, and the actual date the PR entered Canada (date that a border official actually authorizes entry into Canada, which if that is after midnight can mean a day later than when the plane landed on the tarmac). ALL exit and entry dates, ACCURATELY.

I concur in observation that IRCC processing agents readily understand passport stamps and what they mean. In particular, there is no reason to worry about how IRCC will interpret stamps made by other countries which are dated between dates the applicant reported exiting Canada and the date the applicant reports next entering Canada.

Indeed, such stamps as you describe are often ERRONEOUSLY relied on, by applicants, when they are filling in the dates in the presence calculation. This is a common error. No big deal so long as the applicant has a good buffer. But it is always best to be precisely ACCURATE.

An entry stamp into another country NEVER documents the date the PR exited Canada. It only documents a date the PR was for sure in that other country. Note, for example, PRs leaving Canada on an overnight Trans-Pacific flight often do NOT actually arrive at their destination until TWO calendar days later.

In other instances, PRs sometimes have holdovers in countries where their passport is not stamped, so the first date of entry stamped in the passport can be multiple days later than the date the PR actually left Canada.

The applicant's obligation is to accurately report the date the applicant actually left Canada. ALL dates, all dates ACCURATELY.

Also note that for many PRs applying for citizenship there may be several trips abroad for which there are NO stamps at all in the passport.

IRCC figures it out. It mostly looks at passport stamps to see if there is something indicating an inconsistency or incongruity. Minor mistakes are, ordinarily, no big deal. So an applicant who mistakenly relied on the date of entry into another country to report the date of exit, again as long as there is enough of a buffer over the minimum that should NOT cause a problem . . . but of course, again, the more accurate the better.
Thank you so much for all the details you included in your post. Appreciate your inputs. I totally agree with you the more accurate is better and officers understand stamps and how time differences may cause one or two days difference. It's always good to keep airline tickets as a reference as we can rely on and use to update the correct exit and entry dates. I do keep boarding passes and tickets and I will use to update the physical presence calculator. Thanks again. Very well explained. Best Regards

Reactions: k300k3

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
Dpenabill is right. I think I replied in another thread too. You need to put the actual dates that you exited.

It’s also been said but not sure exactly that the airlines need to inform the TSA or Immigration once you check in with your passport. I’m guessing that’s the reason they ask for all passports and travel documents that you’ve used within the eligibility periods

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
Dpenabill is right. I think I replied in another thread too. You need to put the actual dates that you exited.

It’s also been said but not sure exactly that the airlines need to inform the TSA or Immigration once you check in with your passport. I’m guessing that’s the reason they ask for all passports and travel documents that you’ve used within the eligibility periods

The TSA is concerned with matters relating to airport security, and does not dabble with immigration.

You either meant the CBP in the US, or the CBSA in Canada

Reactions: k300k3

euphoria2010

Apr 20, 2019
Thank you dpenabill and k300k3 for taking time to reply my question. That's correct both of you gave me sufficient answers in my previous post which helped me to update all my trips from Canada exactly as per the date I left Canada and not as per the entry stamp to the destination. The reason why I asked again is that I have some trips which I did from another country before coming to Canada and I got confused due to the time difference between exit and entry stamps as I have to list those trips in the reason area in the physical presence calculator. Both of you gave me very clear answers which definitely helped me and will help many others. Thank you again. Much appreciated.