+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ETA issues - any advice gratefully received

lm2471

Aug 12, 2016
Hello there -

I applied for an ETA some time ago and recently received a notification that I am to beam up some documentation. Having followed the instructions and setting up an IIRC account, I was told to link my ETA application with this account in order to find out what documentation was required.

Each time I attempt to link these accounts, it tells me that my application is not on the system. Obviously it must be in the system somewhere, or I would not have received an email asking me to send further documentation. After every 5 attempts (5 per day) I am then locked out of the system and asked to try again in 24 hours.

I have filled in a case specific form about this, and two technical forms about this but all I receive are emails telling me to await a response in 10 days, but they never respond.

I am now concerned that any deadline on these documents will be coming to an end and because I am unable to upload anything (being as I cannot link the accounts I do not even know what information they are requiring) and that this may therefore mean my ETA will be refused.

I have called the High Commission in London who are unable to assist (it has a recorded message only), as well as the border authorities in Canada who are also unable to assist and tell me that this matter can only be resolved via the forms I have already completed on the CIC website but have had no response to.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what did you do to resolve it?

Please help! Many thanks for your time.

Hansi89

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Did you look at the following article: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1226&top=23

lm2471

Aug 12, 2016
Hello there - I do appreciate your response. Yes, I did look at that and I know I have entered everything correctly. I have tried on numerous occasions. The only responses I am getting back from CIC are referring me back to the link that you gave me. Have decided to close the ETA and travel by cruise liner instead. I tried applying last May for an ETA and the exact same technical issues. No one to call and no one responds personally to my emails other than to refer me back to the page you copied and pasted for me. I wish we could apply for these things in person. I have no choice but to close it now because I am afraid my deadline for documents will soon be up and all I get when I attempt to link the IRCC account to my application is a message saying I have not submitted an application!! I do not want to be refused an ETA simply because of their system issues.

Is there any way this can be applied for on paper? Have called the High Commission in London, called border officials in Montreal and everyone else I can think of and no one seems to have a clue how to resolve this. Was asking on here really in case anyone had managed to resolve this same issue somehow.

Hansi89

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can understand your situation. Unfortunately there is no way on applying for a ETA on paper. It's weird that you have experienced this issue twice! Im afraid I don't know much about how to solve. You've contacted everyone I can think of.. Maybe you can submit this as a complaint?

Also have you tried to link account on another browser or PC? Try deleting internet history and cache and try again...

Kookaburra

Aug 17, 2016
Hello, I have just had the same problem in Australia. Applied for a eTA on Monday. Then I received and email requesting I create log in for GCkey and IRCC then link my application. I was then directed to go to 'my account' and requested to upload the requested documents. I was advised if I did not do this before the dead line my application may be refused. So I did all that was requested and went to messages. No documents were requested, no messages, no dead line. My application has also stalled. I also want to cancel my application for fear it will be wrongfully declined due to technical error. I have sent many emails, technical enquiry, all to no avail. What a mess

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Kookaburra said:
Hello, I have just had the same problem in Australia. Applied for a eTA on Monday. Then I received and email requesting I create log in for GCkey and IRCC then link my application. I was then directed to go to 'my account' and requested to upload the requested documents. I was advised if I did not do this before the dead line my application may be refused. So I did all that was requested and went to messages. No documents were requested, no messages, no dead line. My application has also stalled. I also want to cancel my application for fear it will be wrongfully declined due to technical error. I have sent many emails, technical enquiry, all to no avail. What a mess
As per other post assume you have seen here on cancelling ETA although if you enter the same answers likely the same result for extra documents so check your answers on the application http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1088&top=16

thatuser

Aug 16, 2016
I have the exact same issue.

Applied for an eTA, a week later got an email saying that they need documents but I cannot link my application to my account. I cannot even see my deadline or the necessary documents because of this! I can check the status of my application, which says in progress, but when I try to link it it says "no application" found.

I've sent 2 technical issue enquiries and 2 case specific enquiries. No response to anything. I've tried to call visa centers and the O-Canada help line but nobody helps with the eTA and everything has to be done online.

It's very frustrating and messy indeed. I cannot believe they're making people go through this without any support to fix it when things go wrong.