+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eTA application showing as TRV in Tracker

Kananaskis

Star Member
Oct 4, 2023
Just curious if that happened to anyone else but I applied for an eTA to be with my wife while we wait for the Spousal Application and on the tracker now it shows our application and a TRV application with the eTA number, is that normal? I am confused because eTA is not a TRV, so I don't know why they would categorize that as one.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just curious if that happened to anyone else but I applied for an eTA to be with my wife while we wait for the Spousal Application and on the tracker now it shows our application and a TRV application with the eTA number, is that normal? I am confused because eTA is not a TRV, so I don't know why they would categorize that as one.
What is your citizenship?

Kananaskis

Star Member
Oct 4, 2023
What is your citizenship?
I have dual citizenship, one from a country that isn't visa-exempt, and one from a country that is. I applied for my eTA through the passport that is visa-exempt but I did disclose my other citizenship.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have dual citizenship, one from a country that isn't visa-exempt, and one from a country that is. I applied for my eTA through the passport that is visa-exempt but I did disclose my other citizenship.
What is your visa exempt citizenship?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I've not heard that this is showing up in the various trackers (which of course do change over time), but my gut reaction is that despite the different terminology, an eTA is - for all intents and purposes - simply an electronic visa. They have different names but when you get right down to it, a visa for the purpose of visiting Canada is a 'travel authorization.'

Obviously they do not overlap entirely (eg eta eligible = visa waiver eligible = no visa needed at land crossing, TRVs are issued for some purposes for which etas are not eligible [as I understand it], etc). But I could see why a government system would consider one to be a type of the other and share a number/format esp since they use both for similar purposes i.e. 'clear to board' decisions.

So for that reason I would guess this has nothing to do with nationality but some type of internal system.

I've been wondering for a while why Canada doesn't move to more of these types of electronic travel authorizations / electronic visas, lots of countries have moved to them almost entirely (or the old style are exceptions). I don't see why they couldn't do it for the immigrant visas they issue along with the COPRs, for example. [Caveat that I'm sure there are what IRCC considers to be 'good reasons', not my business what they are; but for countries whose passports comply with the most recent ICAO/etc recommendations and standards, I'm a bit stumped as to what those would be and it seems to me the gains of switching to electronic are pretty darn substantial.]

Reactions: Kananaskis

Kananaskis

Star Member
Oct 4, 2023
I've not heard that this is showing up in the various trackers (which of course do change over time), but my gut reaction is that despite the different terminology, an eTA is - for all intents and purposes - simply an electronic visa. They have different names but when you get right down to it, a visa for the purpose of visiting Canada is a 'travel authorization.'

Obviously they do not overlap entirely (eg eta eligible = visa waiver eligible = no visa needed at land crossing, TRVs are issued for some purposes for which etas are not eligible [as I understand it], etc). But I could see why a government system would consider one to be a type of the other and share a number/format esp since they use both for similar purposes i.e. 'clear to board' decisions.

So for that reason I would guess this has nothing to do with nationality but some type of internal system.

I've been wondering for a while why Canada doesn't move to more of these types of electronic travel authorizations / electronic visas, lots of countries have moved to them almost entirely (or the old style are exceptions). I don't see why they couldn't do it for the immigrant visas they issue along with the COPRs, for example. [Caveat that I'm sure there are what IRCC considers to be 'good reasons', not my business what they are; but for countries whose passports comply with the most recent ICAO/etc recommendations and standards, I'm a bit stumped as to what those would be and it seems to me the gains of switching to electronic are pretty darn substantial.]
Yes I haven't heard of that either but I do know they are constantly changing the system and in light of the public pressure for better optimization and time, I would assume that everything should be under one tracker instead of having separate trackers for eTAs, Visas, etc. (Which they currently do). I was just very surprised by the fact that under categories it says "Visitor Visa (Temporary resident visa)" instead of something like "Eletronic Travel Authorization".
When I click on it, it shows Biometrics "exempt", Eligibility "completed", Background "in progress" and Medical "not started".
I wasn't sure if that has to do with my dual citizenship because I read of people in the forum in the same boat and having no issues with getting an eTA, but never showing the application tracker.
Thanks for the reply and the input

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
When I click on it, it shows Biometrics "exempt", Eligibility "completed", Background "in progress" and Medical "not started".
I wasn't sure if that has to do with my dual citizenship because I read of people in the forum in the same boat and having no issues with getting an eTA, but never showing the application tracker.
There are a whole bunch of reasons an ETA might take a little bit longer - I could imagine that at some point IRCC would implement 'check on the PR file for irregularities' (I'm speculating, of course, and assuming you have PR in process hence tracker access). Obviously if they're running database checks and having some issues, or if something serious came up (a hit on criminality etc). Or could be something as simple as audit tests (where they randomly pick a file out for eyeball check) or computer systems issues.

Reactions: Kananaskis

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Italian, and my other citizenship is Brazilian (which is also a visa exempt if you meet criterias)
I was wondering if you were from Mexico and then this might make sense. But since you're not, I have no answer.

Kananaskis

Star Member
Oct 4, 2023
I was wondering if you were from Mexico and then this might make sense. But since you're not, I have no answer.
Yeah it's weird huh.
Well thanks for the insight guys, I did send a webform to ask why is it like that though to make sure there wasn't a mistake on their end.
I'll post here once I find out what is going on.

Reactions: YVR123