+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Establish in Canada permanently 1 year after from the landing (B4 list of goods)

Alberto70

Star Member
Nov 6, 2011
Hi guys,

please I need your assistance!

Last year I did the landing but I haven't completely established in Canada (I visited my wife only for very short periods in this last year, 3 weeks in August, 3 weeks during the Christmas Vacations and 3 weeks last month).
When I did the landing I asked the Border officer that I wanted to consign the B4 and B4A forms with the list of my goods.
But he responded me that the B4 and B4A forms must be consigned only when a person intends to establish in Canada permanently.
I asked several times this fact and he responded always in that manner.

Now it's arrived the time to relocate permanently in Canada, so I'd like to ask you:
"Is it correct what the Border Officer told me?"
I'm scared of the fact that I will bring with me all my stuff and, at the border, the Officer can refuse my B4 forms with the list of my goods because in their Immigration system it is written that I already landed.

Thank you in advance for the response
Bye

Alberto.

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When I landed, in April this year, the Immigration Officer at Vancouver Airport told me that I had a year in which to submit the B4A form, which I had with me ready to submit. So I was told something similar to what you were told. I have however not seen anything in writing to that effect.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Alberto70 said:
Hi guys,

please I need your assistance!

Last year I did the landing but I haven't completely established in Canada (I visited my wife only for very short periods in this last year, 3 weeks in August, 3 weeks during the Christmas Vacations and 3 weeks last month).
When I did the landing I asked the Border officer that I wanted to consign the B4 and B4A forms with the list of my goods.
But he responded me that the B4 and B4A forms must be consigned only when a person intends to establish in Canada permanently.
I asked several times this fact and he responded always in that manner.

Now it's arrived the time to relocate permanently in Canada, so I'd like to ask you:
"Is it correct what the Border Officer told me?"
I'm scared of the fact that I will bring with me all my stuff and, at the border, the Officer can refuse my B4 forms with the list of my goods because in their Immigration system it is written that I already landed.

Thank you in advance for the response
Bye

Alberto.
Yes, the border officer was correct. To invoke the "settlers" exemption, you must be commencing a long term period of residence of at least a year. It's actually written on the B4. It's not well understood by a lot of people who are doing their initial landing. The B4/B4a should be presented when you make your final move to Canada.

Alberto70

Star Member
Nov 6, 2011
zardoz said:
Yes, the border officer was correct. To invoke the "settlers" exemption, you must be commencing a long term period of residence of at least a year. It's actually written on the B4. It's not well understood by a lot of people who are doing their initial landing. The B4/B4a should be presented when you make your final move to Canada.
Hi :)
Thank you for the responses.

I read in the CBSA site: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5113-eng.html

Who are considered Settlers?

Persons entering Canada to become Permanent Residents without the intention of residing immediately in Canada are not considered Settlers to Canada since they do not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time. Therefore, under customs legislation, these persons are considered visitors to Canada, even if they are Permanent Residents for immigration purposes.

The problem is that all the times that I filled the Declaration Form I declared that I was a resident not a visitor.
Moreover in the address field of the Declaration form I always written the address of my wife apartment in Canada.
:eek: :eek: :eek:
It will be a problem?
I don't think so, because in their system they already know all my movements in and out Canada :'(

Bye