+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Errors in past visa

Desperatehelp

Apr 1, 2017
Germany
I have descovered something rather terrible and would appreciate some help.

In my past visa I did not state that I was in Canada when applying although I was, I said I was in my home country and I do not know why I ticked that.

I also did not say yes to the stat question about a past visa refusal. I was refused a visitor visa the previous year.

I got the work visa approved anyway. I recently applied for PR and used the work experience gained from that visa for points.

Will these errors and discrepancies be uncovered during background checks?

If the officer looks at past forms and sees that lie, can he retroactively invalidate the work permit, which would mean my points claimed now aren't valid, and reject PR?

If it isn't descovered now, can it be used in the future and I be deported? It was an honest mistake only recently descovered.

I was honest in my pr application. But as my previous work permit may have been invalid, can the work experience gained be thrown out? If they decide now I misrepresented past work and claimed it as valid in PR?

Desperatehelp

Apr 1, 2017
Germany
I have now found I listed myself as single when in fact I had a common law spouse. Common law is not a status in my country so I listed single.

Now in PR my spouse is added and the common law start date is before that visa application.

Does all this mean my work visa was null and void and any work experience claimed on it will be removed?

BillHyatt

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Toronto
I have now found I listed myself as single when in fact I had a common law spouse. Common law is not a status in my country so I listed single.

Now in PR my spouse is added and the common law start date is before that visa application.

Does all this mean my work visa was null and void and any work experience claimed on it will be removed?
Issue of spouse can be explained to them and it shouldn't be an issue. But other act of misrepresentation is a serious crime and will depend on CIC what action they want to take. However, you should prepare counter answers to above situations and write them down, so you can promptly respond to them if they ask you about these in the future.

Desperatehelp

Apr 1, 2017
Germany
Issue of spouse can be explained to them and it shouldn't be an issue. But other act of misrepresentation is a serious crime and will depend on CIC what action they want to take. However, you should prepare counter answers to above situations and write them down, so you can promptly respond to them if they ask you about these in the future.
Thank you.

I am curious can cic retroactively charge me with misrepresentation on a past visa? If so, does that make it void?

So essentially:
Work visa incorrect > claimed it for points in EE > cic decide to void it ...

Then either they claim I lied about having legal work in Canada on PR, or do they judge the past application as misrepresentation but as my pr was accurate and honest accept it?

For instance I have found others who mentioned they did not declare refusals on a past student application, however they got a degree in that visa. They then applied for PR. Does it mean their degree is null and void? I feel sick with worry here.

BillHyatt

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Toronto
Thank you.

I am curious can cic retroactively charge me with misrepresentation on a past visa? If so, does that make it void?

So essentially:
Work visa incorrect > claimed it for points in EE > cic decide to void it ...

Then either they claim I lied about having legal work in Canada on PR, or do they judge the past application as misrepresentation but as my pr was accurate and honest accept it?

For instance I have found others who mentioned they did not declare refusals on a past student application, however they got a degree in that visa. They then applied for PR. Does it mean their degree is null and void? I feel sick with worry here.
It is on CIC to decide appropriate action. They will not usually void the previous visa or experience but it may impact your PR application.

Unless there is anything that you hear from CIC it is difficult to predict.

arrayofhope

Jan 14, 2017
CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-06-2016
AOR Received.
18/05/2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04-15-2017
I appreciate this.

I am consulting a lawyer tomorrow to discover what my course of action should be. Am I to withdraw this application before my errors may be discovered (if they ever are) or am I to own up and retain the application in the hopes of forgiveness.

I am devastated. I am not even sure of why these issues arose.
I don't think you need to withdraw your application. Raise a CSE and provide them a signed letter with the details that you mentioned here. Like you said, it was an honest mistake. Proving common-law is hard. If you've had a girlfriend that you lived with for a year does not constitute common-law, however if you were in a marriage-like relationship then its common law.

arrayofhope

Jan 14, 2017
CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-06-2016
AOR Received.
18/05/2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04-15-2017
I agree that common law is grey and hopefully this will not be noticed.

I am concerned about the box of whether or not I applied outside of Canada. I was inside Canada. A quick check would confirm that, if they look for it. If I own up now maybe they will forgive me. If not I guess I will be applying for PR in 5 years.
Raise a CSE(case specific enquiry) and explain that you checked the box or did not check the box. That way you have explained yourself. IRCC would understand common mistakes such as this. You may have issues only if you don't explain yourself.

Before they reject your application or claim that you have misrepresented things in your application, they usually give you a chance to explain. Common law is not that grey. If you've had a marriage like(otherwise it's not common law) relationship with your partner, explain that to them in the CSE. They do understand that common law is not prevalent in other countries, so they will give you a break.

Here is the link to the CSE forms - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

Good luck with everything.

natasha12345

Star Member
Mar 29, 2016
hi everyone good afternoon i have a question i release now i have made mistakes and i forgot to include 2 trips in my travel history in a pass visa application and i am now including with an LOE saying it was an honest mistake do you think this would be an issue

Aq1

Nov 24, 2022
I have descovered something rather terrible and would appreciate some help.

In my past visa I did not state that I was in Canada when applying although I was, I said I was in my home country and I do not know why I ticked that.

I also did not say yes to the stat question about a past visa refusal. I was refused a visitor visa the previous year.

I got the work visa approved anyway. I recently applied for PR and used the work experience gained from that visa for points.

Will these errors and discrepancies be uncovered during background checks?

If the officer looks at past forms and sees that lie, can he retroactively invalidate the work permit, which would mean my points claimed now aren't valid, and reject PR?

If it isn't descovered now, can it be used in the future and I be deported? It was an honest mistake only recently descovered.

I was honest in my pr application. But as my previous work permit may have been invalid, can the work experience gained be thrown out? If they decide now I misrepresented past work and claimed it as valid in PR?
Hi @Desperatehelp
I have a similar problem. I missed the check mark in my first Visa-Permit application. I will answer the question in the next application correctly and truthfully. But I wonder is there anything else I should do? What did you do and how did it go for you in the end?

Last edited: