+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Error in PR card

Dana.D

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
I landed in canada back in 2018. I have a refugee travel document of country X and when I landed i didn't have any travel document from my country of citizenship. So they mentioned my citizenship on the copr and pr card to be the country i have a refugee travel document from. Now that i need to apply for citizenship soon i am not sure if i should correct that or just leave it as it is? Has anyone had this issue? Did anyone have to change i fo on their PR card or copr?
Thank you

Dana.D

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
What error?
The citizenship.

I had a refugee travel document from a country and no passport from my original country. In the PR they mentioned the citizenship as the country where my refugee travel document is issued. Later on when i moved to Canada i applied for a passport from my real country of citizenship and got one.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
The citizenship.

I had a refugee travel document from a country and no passport from my original country. In the PR they mentioned the citizenship as the country where my refugee travel document is issued. Later on when i moved to Canada i applied for a passport from my real country of citizenship and got one.
How/why did you apply for a passport from your country of citizenship if you were claiming to be a refugee?

Dana.D

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
How/why did you apply for a passport from your country of citizenship if you were claiming to be a refugee?
It is a very long story but that country wasn't issuing travel documents in the past and it wasn't recognized by the country i was living in so I only could apply to a passport after moving to Canada.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
It is a very long story but that country wasn't issuing travel documents in the past and it wasn't recognized by the country i was living in so I only could apply to a passport after moving to Canada.
Thanks for the reply. My understanding was that if you were a refugee it was a big no-no to get a passport from your country of origin since this would confirm that you were not threatened anymore and could return to that country. But I guess your situation is more complex. It might be worth it to clarify your situation with the IRCC prior to starting your citizenship application, maybe the solution would be to have your country of origin corrected on your PR documents if that is even possible.

Dana.D

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
Thanks for the reply. My understanding was that if you were a refugee it was a big no-no to get a passport from your country of origin since this would confirm that you were not threatened anymore and could return to that country. But I guess your situation is more complex. It might be worth it to clarify your situation with the IRCC prior to starting your citizenship application, maybe the solution would be to have your country of origin corrected on your PR documents if that is even possible.
Actually the passport from my country doesn't let me visit my country. It is just for external use as an ID. So technically i am stateless. It is a very complex situation i don't think IRCC will be able to understand it but as you said I will call them anyway.
Thank you