+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry using PR card

scimitar7

Sep 15, 2023
I became a Canadian PR in 2019 through the Federal Skilled Worker/Express Entry program, but could not move to Canada due to change of plans because of the pandemic. I have not been to Canada since my landing. Now, I have been invited to a wedding in the family in Jan 2024 and am not sure if I will be allowed to enter using my PR card (expiry in June 2024) given that the immigration officer would probably notice that I never moved to Canada after becoming a PR and that my PR card is about to expire in 6 months or so. Has anyone been in a similar situation, and is it advisable to visit the country in this situation?

Thank you.

Edit: Have an Indian passport, so definitely cannot use that to travel to Canada.

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can still visit the country as a visitor if caring a recognized passport
No. Once the OP became a PR they are no longer a visitor when entering Canada. The OP can enter Canada with their PR Card. The passport would be needed if returning via a commercial carrier, but is not needed to clear CBSA once they arrive.

scimitar7

Sep 15, 2023
No. Once the OP became a PR they are no longer a visitor when entering Canada. The OP can enter Canada with their PR Card. The passport would be needed if returning via a commercial carrier, but is not needed to clear CBSA once they arrive.
Thanks, so is entering Canada a guarantee with the PR card, or is it possible to face any issues and possibly be denied entry given the fact that I never moved to and settled in Canada?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks, so is entering Canada a guarantee with the PR card, or is it possible to face any issues and possibly be denied entry given the fact that I never moved to and settled in Canada?
You will be allowed to enter as a PR. But since you are far from meeting your RO, it's very likely that they will raise a case to revoke your PR.
(physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days in five years)

scimitar7

Sep 15, 2023
You will be allowed to enter as a PR. But since you are far from meeting your RO, it's very likely that they will raise a case to revoke your PR.
(physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days in five years)
Thank you so much for your reply. As long as I am allowed to enter and attend the wedding, I am happy. Once they revoke the PR, I will likely apply for a visitor visa.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much for your reply. As long as I am allowed to enter and attend the wedding, I am happy. Once they revoke the PR, I will likely apply for a visitor visa.
Are you not able to, or interested in, remaining in Canada until you are in compliance with the Residency Obligation to maintain your PR status?