+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry to Canada while waiting for PR card

nvnkmr10

Star Member
Apr 19, 2016
Hi Guys,

Really confused with lots. Need your help on the same..
I am currently on my work permit and expecting my PR in 2 months. I need to travel to my country ASAP, so I cannot wait to receive my PR card.

I have following bunch of queries, any help would be highly appreciated,

1. When we actually become PR? Lets say Im doing my landing inside Canada. Is that the first day of me becoming Permanent Resident? or should I wait for the PR card.

2. I am planning to travel to my home country immediately. Can I return back to Canada with my TRV/Work Permit? As some people say your temporary status will get invalid after you become PR.

3. If I have US visa? Can I land there and come to Canada by car with my Landing papers?

4. If I am getting married(in my native country) after doing my landing inside Canada, should I need to notify CIC regarding my marriage?

Or if you have any other options for me, please feel free to post it here, as I really cannot wait for 2 more months to get my Card.

Thanks in advance.

Sara92

Star Member
Jan 12, 2017
Edmotnon
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. You become a pernament resident when you will do landing inside country or port of entry.

2. If you already did landing then you cannot cross border without pr card by air, but you can cross border from us side via ground transport.

3. You dont need to hold us visa, you can do flagpooling and then return to country.

4. You need to inform cic about getting marriage to sponsor her in future.

You can apply for issue travel document by goverment with letter of explanation that will state reason why you need to leave country right now and why you cannot wait for pr card.

Hope help

Sara92

Star Member
Jan 12, 2017
Edmotnon
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you haven't done yet your landing then take all of your documents with you and do landing on the port of entry when you will come back to canada.

nvnkmr10

Star Member
Apr 19, 2016
1. You become a pernament resident when you will do landing inside country or port of entry.

2. If you already did landing then you cannot cross border without pr card by air, but you can cross border from us side via ground transport.

3. You dont need to hold us visa, you can do flagpooling and then return to country.

4. You need to inform cic about getting marriage to sponsor her in future.

You can apply for issue travel document by goverment with letter of explanation that will state reason why you need to leave country right now and why you cannot wait for pr card.

Hope help
Thanks a ton!

kimi_pat

Star Member
May 2, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have the similar situation. Please see it below and give your input. It will be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I am a CEC inland applicant and my AOR is May 21st. I am in NA2 stage at the moment. I am hoping I will get PPR in mid to late September looking at the current progress in CEC category.

I am planning to go to India for a few months once I get my passport back with PR visa stamp. My medical expires in May 2018 so hopefully PR visa will be valid till May, 2018 as well. I want to travel to few countries in Asia and then come back to Canada. And I am a bit confused in landing procedure and PR card arrival. Please see below four options and advise which one is best:

Option – 1

Once I get PR visa stamp in my passport, I can do the landing procedure at one of many Port of Entries ( Niagara Falls ) and then leave to India in a week or two. I can give my friend’s address for PR card to be mailed to. He is also going to India in Dec so he can bring my PR card with him. I can then come back to Canada. My return date is flexible so I can wait a bit longer till I get PR card in my hand in India. So while returning to Canada, will border officials ask me how come I left the country just after landing and without receiving PR card myself? Will it create any issue? In this case, I can come back any time since I will have PR card in my hand. There will not be any limit or expiry date to enter Canada. Please confirm this if someone can.

Option – 2

Once I get PR visa stamp in my passport, I can fly to India in a week without landing. I can then stay in India and visit few countries for few months and then come back to Canada and finish landing procedure before May, 2018. In this case, will it create any issues if I would have visited few countries in Asia and have those additional visa stamps from those countries?

Option – 3

For some reason, if I don’t get my PR card while I am in India after landing, I can apply for PR Travel document and use it to enter in Canada without PR card. How difficult is the process for applying PRTD? Will border officers ask me any questions?

Option-4

While coming back to Canada, I can then fly to USA and cross the border by rental car using my COPR which is legal as I found in previous threads. In this case, will border officers ask me any questions?

Please give your input. Any advice or help would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers!

Sara92

Star Member
Jan 12, 2017
Edmotnon
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. I read a lot about this and people usualy do that and nobody ask question how you get your pr card, by law you can not send pr card via mail aboard but if somebody will bring you your card in my opinion is ok. I thing thats the most safest way.

2. I thing few more stamps will be not an issue. I did the same just officer ask me where i have been and from where i came back.

3. This ks not complicate you can do this online, but this is usulay for people that need leave canada right now and can not wait for pr card or for people that loste their pr card. Better do not complikate your case, sittuation unless you have to.

4. Yes you can cross board with US via ground transport, thats what people do all the time but you need to have valid US visa then.

Thats what i think and know from my expirience . Maybe somebody have some more expirence. Cheers

Reactions: kimi_pat

kimi_pat

Star Member
May 2, 2017
Thank you @Sara92 for your reply.

I will try to aim for option 1 for sure but if for some reason it cannot happen, then will go for Option 4 as I already have US visa.

Thanks again. Appreciated your feedback.

Cheers!