+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry on one-way ticket as a visitor looking for work: will it be a problem?

Feb 24, 2017
Hi all,

My partner moved to Canada last November and is working there with a Work Permit. I have stayed behind in Germany for a few months to finish my work here, my contract here finishes at the end of March. My plan is to go to Canada as a visitor in April and look for a position in Canada. I have started looking for work already, but I'm currently very busy, working 7 days a week, to finish my work here in Germany, so I think it will be easier to find something when I am there. I plan to stay in Canada for about 2 months, then I think I will have to leave the country and reenter to get a work visa, which is not a problem. I didn't decide yet where I will leave to, because it depends if I have to go to an embassy in person to get a work permit, and various other things, so I will probably arrive in Canada with a one-way flight.

My question is, when I enter as a visitor, will it be a problem at immigration if I say I am there to look for work? Should I rather say I am just visiting my boyfriend? Is it a problem that I will only have a one-way flight? I have plenty of money to cover a return/onward flight, and I can show my bank statements. But I'm wondering if I should just buy a return ticket or a ticket to another country just to be on the safe side. I want to be 100% sure that I won't be turned away at the border, because I travel a lot for work and that will create all sorts of problems in future if I'm denied entry.

Thanks for any advice

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Definitely do not say you are coming to Canada as a visitor with no work permit status to look for work as you risk being denied entry. Say you are visiting your boyfriend.

A one way ticket as a visitor will not work as for a start doubtful the airline will board you on a one way ticket just as a visitor and if you actually make it to Canada CBSa will be suspicious of your intentions being on a one way ticket. In any case apart from airlines such as Air Transat a return ticket from Europe is generally a lot cheaper than a one way.

No idea what occupation you are in but getting work and a permit in 2 months may be a bit optimistic.

Feb 24, 2017
Thanks very much for your response!

Ok, then to be safe I will book a return and say I'm just visiting. Another question, if by the time I go to Canada, I have been invited to come for a job interview, would it be acceptable to give that as a reason to come? Or does it look suspicious if I am coming for several months for a single interview?

I am a scientist, so there are limited options where I can work. I don't find something in 2-3 months I won't find something. Applying for the work visa might take longer but I might have to do that from overseas anyway.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
NiphredilSelphie said:
Thanks very much for your response!

Ok, then to be safe I will book a return and say I'm just visiting. Another question, if by the time I go to Canada, I have been invited to come for a job interview, would it be acceptable to give that as a reason to come? Or does it look suspicious if I am coming for several months for a single interview?

I am a scientist, so there are limited options where I can work. I don't find something in 2-3 months I won't find something. Applying for the work visa might take longer but I might have to do that from overseas anyway.

In order for you to get a work permit, your future employer must obtain a positive LMIA which most companies don't want to do because its time consuming and expensive. Unless you are a person with high skilled qualifications.....

Feb 24, 2017
Thank you, I'm aware of that. I have a PhD, and there are a lot of foreigners employed in the kind of jobs I'm looking for in Canada, due to having very specific skill sets.

nehamerchant

Star Member
Apr 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
skilled workers enter through express entry pool, does these rule apply to you? or there special consideration for Phds?