Entring Canada via US with an expired PR card

CND3A

Oct 5, 2010
Earth
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi to All,

I'm actually out of Canada since 2015, my PR card Expired on 2017.
I think that my only option to go back to Canada is to enter through the US land border on a private vehicle.

My questions are:

Is the COPR and my foreign passport are enough to re-enter Canada ? Still have also my SIN and my AB health card can it help?
Is it a safe process?
What if I'll be reported?
Is there other problems to start living in Canada again, working, getting a driving licence, having a bank account ... ?

Any advice please ?
Thank you in advance

Last edited:

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Hi to All,

I think that my only option to go back to Canada is to enter through the US land border on a private vehicle.

My questions are:

Is the COPR and my foreign passport are enough to re-enter Canada ? Still have also my SIN and my AB health card can it help?
Is it a safe process?
Is there other problems to start living in Canada again, working, getting a driving licence, having a bank account ... ?

Thank you in advance
You should be allowed in but the likelihood of being reported is high. Was there a reason that you were gone so long, such as a compelling H&C reason?

Depending on the province, you may find it very difficult to start living in Canada, since a valid PR card is needed for many processes, such as getting a drivers license.

Reactions: YVR123 and CND3A

CND3A

Oct 5, 2010
Earth
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should be allowed in but the likelihood of being reported is high. Was there a reason that you were gone so long, such as a compelling H&C reason?

Depending on the province, you may find it very difficult to start living in Canada, since a valid PR card is needed for many processes, such as getting a drivers license.
Thank you Tubsmagee for your replay :)

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
Hi to All,

My questions are:

Is it a safe process?

Any advice please ?
Thank you in advance
7 years out of Canada,,,
good luck, you can try,,, if you pass,,, you should be within Canada at leats 2-3 years,,,

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Hi to All,

My questions are:

Is it a safe process?

Any advice please ?
Thank you in advance
Your valid foreign passport and COPR should be sufficient to enter Canada, as long as you still have valid PR status.

It is safe, in terms of your physical safety. No one will attack and rob you. I personally was harassed by CBSA and sent to secondary inspection (even though I was brand new resident and in full compliance with RO), but they didn't threaten to beat me or take my possessions away from me.

If you are reported for breach of RO, you will have an option to appeal it to IAD. You can stay legally in Canada and are entitled to all benefits while your case is pending appeal at IAD.

Legally, you should not have problems. There is anecdotal evidence on this forum that certain gov agencies in charge of providing health care and DL in Ontario/Toronto subscribe to "dog eats dog" mentality and illegally deny those documents to PRs who don't have a current PR card. But, as I mentioned, it's illegal practice and you could sue them in court of law and force them to provide you benefits that you are entitled to.

I will abstain from giving any further advise. Good luck. And please report here after returning, let us know how it goes.

Reactions: CND3A

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi to All,

My questions are:

Is it a safe process?

Any advice please ?
Thank you in advance
Yes you can run into obstacles living in Canada after being reported or going unreported at the border. Your SIN is likely on hold so you need to activate it again. Some provinces now as for current PR card. In some provinces you’ll need a valid PR card to get a new health card. You also won’t qualify to sponsor a spouse of child until you are back in compliance with your RO. If reported , the time in Canada won’t count towards your RO if your appeal to retain your PR is still in process or is denied.

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Just to clarify for OP:

Yes you can run into obstacles living in Canada after being reported or going unreported at the border.
I will reiterate: those obstacles are ILLEGAL. As such, OP can sue government agencies that unlawfully discriminate and arbitrarily demand the document which is not, by law, required for PR with valid PR status to get the benefit.

Your SIN is likely on hold so you need to activate it again.
See above. Sue the government if it illegally and unlawfully discriminates and denies benefit you are entitled to.
It's also possible that you won't really need to "reactivate" your SIN (so you don't have to go through hassle of suing the government), just use it.

Some provinces now as for current PR card. In some provinces you’ll need a valid PR card to get a new health card.
See above, ALWAYS SUE THE GOVERNMENT WHEN IT ACTS ILLEGALLY AND UNLAWFULLY.

You also won’t qualify to sponsor a spouse of child until you are back in compliance with your RO.
This is correct.

If reported , the time in Canada won’t count towards your RO if your appeal to retain your PR is still in process or is denied.
This is also correct.

Reactions: CND3A

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Just to clarify for OP:

I will reiterate: those obstacles are ILLEGAL. As such, OP can sue government agencies that unlawfully discriminate and arbitrarily demand the document which is not, by law, required for PR with valid PR status to get the benefit.

See above. Sue the government if it illegally and unlawfully discriminates and denies benefit you are entitled to.
It's also possible that you won't really need to "reactivate" your SIN (so you don't have to go through hassle of suing the government), just use it.

Depending on province, there may be other options than what is listed. For example, the BC site says that I would need a valid PR card to get my license back, but they also add the following:

Note: If you have NO primary or secondary ID as listed above, in most cases you may be able to get a temporary licence from an ICBC driver licensing office. You will have to make a return trip before a new photo card is released. Most Primary ID is issued through Government agencies and can take several days to several months to replace, so it's best to order new ID right away. For those born in Canada, obtaining a Birth Certificate or Canadian Passport is generally the quickest way to replace your Primary ID.​

Last edited:

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Depending on province, there may be other options than what is listed. For example, the BC site says that I would need a valid PR card to get my license back, but they also add the following:

Note: If you have NO primary or secondary ID as listed above, in most cases you may be able to get a temporary licence from an ICBC driver licensing office. You will have to make a return trip before a new photo card is released. Most Primary ID is issued through Government agencies and can take several days to several months to replace, so it's best to order new ID right away. For those born in Canada, obtaining a Birth Certificate or Canadian Passport is generally the quickest way to replace your Primary ID.​
I see that you wanted to comment on canuck's post, since what you quoted are my responses/comments on what canuck stated.

But to make it clear once more:

REGARDLESS OF THE PROVINCE, an individual who holds valid PR status is entitled to benefits that are provided to other PRs with valid PR status.

Note that PR Card is not a proof of PR status (someone could be ordered deported and present in Canada illegally, yet still posses it). and it's arbitrary to ask for it form PR with a valid PR status. There are scores of PRs in full compliance of RO as we see on this site, who wait for a year or more for PR card renewal. And those in breach of RO must wait until they accumulate 730 days of residence before they can apply for PR card renewal, but at no point during that period they are out of valid PR status.
Generally, COPR is a formal document establishing one's landed PR status in Canada and a request to produce PR card in lieu of it is discriminatory, and thus can be contested in court of law.
Also note that I was not debating provincial varieties of specific benefits provided, my point is general: If one is PR, then one is ENTITLED to benefits offered to PRs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radek

CND3A

Oct 5, 2010
Earth
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your valid foreign passport and COPR should be sufficient to enter Canada, as long as you still have valid PR status.

It is safe, in terms of your physical safety. No one will attack and rob you. I personally was harassed by CBSA and sent to secondary inspection (even though I was brand new resident and in full compliance with RO), but they didn't threaten to beat me or take my possessions away from me.

If you are reported for breach of RO, you will have an option to appeal it to IAD. You can stay legally in Canada and are entitled to all benefits while your case is pending appeal at IAD.

Legally, you should not have problems. There is anecdotal evidence on this forum that certain gov agencies in charge of providing health care and DL in Ontario/Toronto subscribe to "dog eats dog" mentality and illegally deny those documents to PRs who don't have a current PR card. But, as I mentioned, it's illegal practice and you could sue them in court of law and force them to provide you benefits that you are entitled to.

I will abstain from giving any further advise. Good luck. And please report here after returning, let us know how it goes.

Thank you so much jakklondon for your clear response, encouragements and positive attitude :)

Reactions: jakklondon

CND3A

Oct 5, 2010
Earth
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to clarify for OP:

This is correct.

This is also correct.
Thank you so much canuck78 for your responses and advices
Thank you so much jakklondon for your clarifications
It's really helpful to take decisions

Radek

Mar 28, 2022
I see that you wanted to comment on canuck's post, since what you quoted are my responses/comments on what canuck stated.

But to make it clear once more:

REGARDLESS OF THE PROVINCE, an individual who holds valid PR status is entitled to benefits that are provided to other PRs with valid PR status.

Note that PR Card is not a proof of PR status (someone could be ordered deported and present in Canada illegally, yet still posses it). and it's arbitrary to ask for it form PR with a valid PR status. There are scores of PRs in full compliance of RO as we see on this site, who wait for a year or more for PR card renewal. And those in breach of RO must wait until they accumulate 730 days of residence before they can apply for PR card renewal, but at no point during that period they are out of valid PR status.
Generally, COPR is a formal document establishing one's landed PR status in Canada and a request to produce PR card in lieu of it is discriminatory, and thus can be contested in court of law.
Also note that I was not debating provincial varieties of specific benefits provided, my point is general: If one is PR, then one is ENTITLED to benefits offered to PRs.
Its interesting then why does this work for land border but not for commercial flights?

Reactions: jakklondon

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Its interesting then why does this work for land border but not for commercial flights?
Commercial airline carrier can't figure out what your status and entitlement to enter Canada is. Therefore, they require Canadian green card, on top of your eTA. Technically, it has nothing to do with PR and his entitlement. It has everything to do with airline, which will be fined large sum of money and forced to fly the individual back, if upon arrival to Canada it is determined by Canadian customs that he is inadmissible. When airline sees your PR card and valid eTA application, it is no longer responsible for whatever your true status and entitlement to enter Canada is. It can tell CIC "You issued this PR card, which is valid, and you approved eTA, you now deport this dude if he is an inadmissible fraudster".
When you travel by land, you take full responsibility for getting yourself to the border, and back to wherever you embarked from if you are denied entry into Canada.

Reactions: Radek

Radek

Mar 28, 2022
Commercial airline carrier can't figure out what your status and entitlement to enter Canada is. Therefore, they require Canadian green card, on top of your eTA. Technically, it has nothing to do with PR and his entitlement. It has everything to do with airline, which will be fined large sum of money and forced to fly the individual back, if upon arrival to Canada it is determined by Canadian customs that he is inadmissible. When airline sees your PR card and valid eTA application, it is no longer responsible for whatever your true status and entitlement to enter Canada is. It can tell CIC "You issued this PR card, which is valid, and you approved eTA, you now deport this dude if he is an inadmissible fraudster".
When you travel by land, you take full responsibility for getting yourself to the border, and back to wherever you embarked from if you are denied entry into Canada.
Interesting, makes sense but at the same time is so stupid LoL

Thanks for explaining :)