+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

entering multiple times on PR card, RO cannot be met - the risks

Hoogenband

Jan 31, 2014
My PR card will expire in Spring 2016. So far, have only been in Canada for about 35 days, so am in breach of RO, strictly speaking. Thanks to the this forum, I understand that all is not necessarily lost however - in theory, I can go to Canada, then not leave until I have the 730 days, then renew.

But clearly, there are risks... the border official could report me. Then, in theory, I could be 'found out', not allowed to stay.

I'm considering going to Canada for a month, on a long vacation/intelligence gathering mission. But is it risky, given that I can't stay there for 2 years non stop for the moment?

My hunch is that, because Canadians are so nice, the worst that can happen at the border, is that I get a warning. Fine. But, once I have that warning, doesn't it make it much more difficult for me, early next year, when I want to move to Canada permanently? They'll tell me they already warned me, then my dream will be dashed.

What do you guys think?

From reading this forum, it seems PR card holders in breach of RO successfully enter Canada about 95% of the time. What about the 5% who don't succeed. I'd like to hear their stories.

thanks

Hoogenband

joeblowcocomo

Apr 25, 2013
Your hunch is incorrect. The worst that can happen is that you are reported at the point of entry for failing to comply with RO. If you are reported, you will be called to a hearing within 30 days to make your case why you should be allowed to keep your PR status. If your arguments are not satisfactory, you will lose your PR status and will be asked to leave Canada.

This is a real possibility which you will have to deal with with every border crossing until you meet your RO.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Hoogenband said:
My hunch is that, because Canadians are so nice, the worst that can happen at the border, is that I get a warning. Fine. But, once I have that warning, doesn't it make it much more difficult for me, early next year, when I want to move to Canada permanently? They'll tell me they already warned me, then my dream will be dashed.
Canadians are indeed nice, but that doesn't mean they will ignore laws for your benefit. Particularly since you don't seem to have any regard for their rules.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
If you go back the Canada before your PR card expires, it is likely you will be let in with just a warning. However I think if you continue to tempt fate and try multiple entry/exits, that will catch up with you. I'm pretty sure when then give you a warning and the let you in, that warning will be logged into your records. It is completely possible thought that you will be successful regardless. That is your risk to take.