+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada

syendu

Mar 10, 2007
Hello Friends,

I would appreciate if some one could help me with my obvious questions. I am posting so that somebody could reconfirm my opinions. I have been recently given the immigrant visa to Canada. I need to report before a certain date but I cannot immediately go and settle down in Canada due to my current commitments. I understand that I have to physically go to Canada for the PR status. My questions are:

I picked Winnipeg, Manitoba as my intended destination, Is there a particular port of entry that I need to go through or is any entry fine?

I wish to go to Canada through the Windsor Tunnel (US Canada crossing) but after I get there, is there any other place I need to travel or does the immigration officer there would take care of all my paper work?

Do they offer immig services at Windsor Tunnel 24/7 or are there particular operating hours?

What are the documents I need to carry?

Thanks, I know most of my questions look silly but I am trying to be sure of what I am supposed to do and good luck with your applications.

Regards,
Syendu

bostonkelly

Jul 1, 2005
Hi!

From my understanding you have to land in Canada one year from date you took your medical. You only have to spend 24 hours on Canadian soil. You then have a year from the date you land as an emigrant to settle.

Best of luck. Winnipeg is a great city and one that I'm considering.

Jim

monica_5

Mar 28, 2007
Hello Jim,

You wrote:
>> You then have a year from the date you land as an emigrant to settle

can you please clarify your above statement. I read somewhere that in 5 yrs you have to accumulate 2 years to maintain PR status. Are you saying that once you make your first visit of 24 hrs entry (the first time landing) , it's ok not to visit for a whole one year?

I would really appreciate your response, friend!

Thanks,
Monica