+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada WITHOUT PR card, 2.5 years after landing

Confusedsouls

Jul 2, 2018
Hello all,

I made a short landing in Toronto in September 2016 and returned back to my country after 2 weeks. I had provided a friend's residential address for the PR card to be delivered but it never arrived. Talked to immigration department help desk and they said they could not locate the address and then I had to come in person to request PR card again.

I understand that I might be able to obtain PRTD from my country, but are there any chances that I might be refused entry if I land in April 2019, about half way through the five years.

Thank you for any advice offered.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As a PR you will always be entitled to enter the country regardless of whether you meet or do not meet the residency obligation . Except for the latter you could get reported possibly leading to PR being revoked subject to appeal.

You need to apply for a PRTD to fly back to Canada and with you only being away around 30 months you should have no issues at all, just answer any questions asked by CBSA honestly and do not volunteer extra information.

Being away so long means you will need to stay put for a couple of years to set your residency obligation but you should be fine at least that’s my personal view.

As for the PR card if have not done so already maybe report as lost.

Confusedsouls

Jul 2, 2018
Hi BS65,

Thank you for your response. As my display name says, I am really confused and want to keep my Canada option open. Is it ok for me to seek a formal response regarding this from CIC. Or is that not really necessary.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi BS65,

Thank you for your response. As my display name says, I am really confused and want to keep my Canada option open. Is it ok for me to seek a formal response regarding this from CIC. Or is that not really necessary.
1. The formal request is applying for PR Travel Document. If you can still make 2 years residency in the 5 years since your "landing" it will be issued.
2. You will then have to remain in Canada for a complete 2 years, out of the remaining 5 since your "landing"