+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada with PR Card received overseas

Can10

Star Member
Aug 21, 2010
Having completed landing formalities in Canada back in 2010, I did not wait for PR Card to arrive and came back to my native country. Later my friend received the PR Card and couriered me. I remember when I was checking-out at the Toronto Airport, the custom officer asked me about the PR Card and I replied that I had to leave in haste for an emergency that's why I couldn't stay longer to receive PRC.

Now after 2 years of first landing, I am planning to go again to Canada for a short trip and am wondering what if custom officer ask me how did I receive the PR Card while staying overseas. If this being asked, shall I tell the truth? Do they have any record of my earlier statement that I gave when checking out 2 years back?

Please tell me if I have a real concern and what is the way out.

Best regards,
Can10

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Can10 said:
Having completed landing formalities in Canada back in 2010, I did not wait for PR Card to arrive and came back to my native country. Later my friend received the PR Card and couriered me. I remember when I was checking-out at the Toronto Airport, the custom officer asked me about the PR Card and I replied that I had to leave in haste for an emergency that's why I couldn't stay longer to receive PRC.

Now after 2 years of first landing, I am planning to go again to Canada for a short trip and am wondering what if custom officer ask me how did I receive the PR Card while staying overseas. If this being asked, shall I tell the truth? Do they have any record of my earlier statement that I gave when checking out 2 years back?

Please tell me if I have a real concern and what is the way out.

Best regards,
Can10
There are no laws in Canada against sending a PR card overseas. So tell the truth. You are starting to cut if fine on your residency requirement, if you are only coming back for a short trip.

Can10

Star Member
Aug 21, 2010
Thanks PMM, you have always been so helpful. Can you please explain the 2nd part of your reply (i.e. You are starting to cut if fine on your residency requirement, if you are only coming back for a short trip.)

Kind regards,
Can10

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Can10 said:
Thanks PMM, you have always been so helpful. Can you please explain the 2nd part of your reply (i.e. You are starting to cut if fine on your residency requirement, if you are only coming back for a short trip.)

Kind regards,
Can10

1. To maintain your PR status, you have to reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5.
2. You "landed' in 2010 and returned home. So now you are coming back for a "short trip" From your "landing" in 2010 you need 2 years residence before 5 years are up. You have less than 3 years to complete that time, depending on your date of "landing"

Can10

Star Member
Aug 21, 2010
Dear PMM. Thanks a lot for your precise answer.

I completed my first landing on 25 September 2010 and return after a week. My PR Card is valid up to September 2015. I am planning to travel second time in July this year, again for a week or so. Finally I would move to Canada in July 2013. In this way I will be able to reside in Canada for straight 2 years before expiry of PR Card. Please advise if you think this would be fine and apparently there is no risk involved.

However, some of my friends in Canada have advised me to immediately move to Canada as Immigration Office is now very particular about your stay in Canada and they might ask me whey I stayed outside of Canada for the whole 3 years initially. They might also suspect that I have completed my 2 years residency in Canada just for the sake of renewing my PR Card and would again leave Canada for longer period.

Any thoughts on this please.

As always hoping for your expert comments/advices.

Best regards,
Can10

lagoon

Nov 12, 2011
Can10 I know of a couple of my friends who after landing, left Canada and then came back to Canada permanently just before they completed their 3 years, they did not face much hassles at the Immigration, except they were asked why they were so long out of Canada, but after they said they have now moved permanently to Canada they were excused, in any case see that you move before you complete 3 years of YOUR PR, also if Immigration Canada disputes about your residency status they have to let you in once your prove you are a PR holder, then you may fight your case once you enter Canada,ONCE AGAIN DO NOT EXCEED YOUR STAY OUTSIDE CANADA BY MORE THAN 3 YEARS.

GOOD LUCK
Lagoon

Can10

Star Member
Aug 21, 2010
Thanks PMM and Lagoon for your kind advices which I find very helpful in understanding the situation.

Regards,
Can10