+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada on Visa-exempt Passport Without Fulfilling Residency Obligation

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zoezozo said:
Oh my God I could just kiss you right now. I have been living in fear for so long. So, if I leave with my son to get his passport in April, will I have difficulty entering with him on the way back? I will get the paperwork done before we leave if this is the best way. Otherwise I was going to do all the paperwork when we go, with my husband (his english is not great) and then send it off when we come back. How would you suggest is the best way?
From what you say, you have been walking in and out without a problem and your children too so I don't see that it would be more likely to have a problem now. Besides, he is a minor child with a PR parent so they must allow you entry and I don't really see how they are going to refuse your child. However, do you absolutely have to take him to your home country for the passport? Can't you get it through the embassy in Canada?

zoezozo said:
Thankyou! I am going to go and see what they say. Really, what can they say right? And my old address, it doesnt matter its out of the country? I will take a deep breath and go...
For health care, you need an address in Canada. You need some official mail sent to you at your address where you now live (in Canada) to prove to the health care in your province that you are living there. It could be a tax return, utility bill, bank statement etc. Take a couple of those with you when you go apply for your health card as well as your passport and PR card and you should be good to go.

zoezozo

Feb 5, 2013
Hi Leon,

I dont think I can get anything more than a temporary passport from the consulate but I am not positive. If I have filled out my application to sponsor and plan to put it all in on return, would it help to show them the paperwork when I am coming back in? Only my daughter has come and gone, and that was coming in with her grandfather...If I get the paperwork in now and then take a 2 week trip can it affect my application to sponsor? I havent gone anywhere for over 2 years, everyone goes away once in a while, and if I show I have clients and work waiting for me here...surely that will show that I am living and working and plan to stay here?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Having the paperwork already done to sponsor him could help if you have any problems. Otherwise, just say that you are going to sponsor him. A PR parent with a visa exempt child, I think it's very unlikely that they would give you any trouble.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Leon said:
For health care, you need an address in Canada. You need some official mail sent to you at your address where you now live (in Canada) to prove to the health care in your province that you are living there. It could be a tax return, utility bill, bank statement etc. Take a couple of those with you when you go apply for your health card as well as your passport and PR card and you should be good to go.
If you are renting an apartment, a lease agreement in your name will also do nicely

Magi838

Feb 26, 2014
Hi Leon..
I have Q and need ur help .. I landed in canada in 23/12/2011 and I spend almost 696 days in canada as Permanent Resident .and my PR Expairy in February 2017.
Mean while I'm outside canada and I've lost my PR Card but I have a valid photocopy of my PR and my SIN number and other document proof I'm PR .. My husband is a Canadian citizen ..
I'm applying now for travel document to enter canada but I'm afraid that residency obligations not meet with the requirements .. Coz my days is less then 730 days ..
Thank u so much for the help

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Magi838 said:
Hi Leon..
I have Q and need ur help .. I landed in canada in 23/12/2011 and I spend almost 696 days in canada as Permanent Resident .and my PR Expairy in February 2017.
Mean while I'm outside canada and I've lost my PR Card but I have a valid photocopy of my PR and my SIN number and other document proof I'm PR .. My husband is a Canadian citizen ..
I'm applying now for travel document to enter canada but I'm afraid that residency obligations not meet with the requirements .. Coz my days is less then 730 days ..
Thank u so much for the help
You are fine because 1) you haven't been a PR for 5 years yet so you still have plenty of time to meet the 730 day requirements and 2) because you are married to a Canadian, any time spent with your Canadian spouse outside Canada also counts towards the 730 day requirements.

Magi838

Feb 26, 2014
Leon said:
You are fine because 1) you haven't been a PR for 5 years yet so you still have plenty of time to meet the 730 day requirements and 2) because you are married to a Canadian, any time spent with your Canadian spouse outside Canada also counts towards the 730 day requirements.
Thank you Leon for answers ..
but i'm wondering about A Question number 18- in the Travel Document application "the Humanitarian and compassionate grounds".. since i spend less than 730 days in canada -should i answer this Q??
coz i left canada only 3 times since i become Permanent Resident in "2011" and only for visit my family overseas .. and every visit took me 1 month!!
-should i write a letter explaining my absence these periods?! Will this affect my chances of getting the travel document??

i really appreciate your help .. :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Magi838 said:
Thank you Leon for answers ..
but i'm wondering about A Question number 18- in the Travel Document application "the Humanitarian and compassionate grounds".. since i spend less than 730 days in canada -should i answer this Q??
coz i left canada only 3 times since i become Permanent Resident in "2011" and only for visit my family overseas .. and every visit took me 1 month!!
-should i write a letter explaining my absence these periods?! Will this affect my chances of getting the travel document??

i really appreciate your help .. :)
You would fill out Question 16 for accompanying a Canadian spouse but you do not need 18.

Magi838

Feb 26, 2014
Leon said:
You would fill out Question 16 for accompanying a Canadian spouse but you do not need 18.
I thank you for taking time out to answer my question. I am sure that you are really busy and I appreciate you taking the time to respond personally to me.
Thank you again.

Magi838

Feb 26, 2014
Goodmorning Leon .. hope u r fine ..

i have one more question .. in the travel document of PR they asking about my record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence. and i lost my "COPR|"
i only have A copy of my "valid PR" and my the immigrant visa in my passport with the landing number on it and a copy of my social security card ..
is it enough to send it with my Application?? is this proof for them i'm PR??
or i lost my Chances to get the TRD ..
i really really appreciate your help

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Try with what you have. If it's not enough, you can apply for a document called "verification of status", see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certcopy.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not sure how long a VOS takes. You could apply for it now and apply for the TD at the same time. That way, if the TD is not issued, you will have the VOS and can apply for the TD again right away.

Magi838

Feb 26, 2014
Leon said:
I'm not sure how long a VOS takes. You could apply for it now and apply for the TD at the same time. That way, if the TD is not issued, you will have the VOS and can apply for the TD again right away.
Thank u for all the answers .. You've helped me a lot Leon

herm

Aug 23, 2014
Hello , I want to come back to Canada. I am PR but the PR Card is expired in august 2013.
I am not sure that I meet the residental requirements ( 730 days ) in the last 5 years .
So what could be the best way to make it ?

I fly to Canda and show my expired card and and tell the customers about my reasons of staying outside so long ? ...I had some health and care reasons/problems with family members here in Germany.

Or can fly to Canada with my german passport as a tourist ? Meanwhile i had to renew my german passport ...so there are no stamps they show immigration in Canada before.
After entering I could stay there , work and live
and after i have stayed there enough days i could renew my PR card ?

Please can someone help me ? Thanks