+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering canada months before expiry of PR Card

Sajid3157

Sep 13, 2012
I am an Indian citizen and also permanent resident of Canada since January, 2009 and my PR Card would expire in March, 2014. I have mostly stayed out of Canada and I am currently staying in Saudi Arabia but planning to move permanently to Canada in April, 2013. My intention is to resign from my current job in Saudi Arabia in March, 2013 and move immediately to Canada i.e. 11-12 months before the expiry of my PR Card and complete 730 days in Canada from then onwards. Please advise if I would be allowed to enter Canada in March/April 2013

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You would be allowed to but you may be asked where you have been staying since you got your PR. If immigration thinks you do not meet the residency requirements, they can report you and take steps to revoke your PR. If that happens, you will still be allowed to enter but will have 30 days to appeal for your PR. If they don't report you, you enter, stay for 2 years and then renew.

Sajid3157

Sep 13, 2012
Thanks Leon. Since my intention would be to enter Canada after resigning from my job and cancelling my Saudi visa, would that be convincing for Canadian immigration authorities that I have arrived with intention to permanently settle there? Otherwise, I would be in risk to lose both my current job/residence in Saudi Arabia as well as PR status in Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not know if it is better for you arriving having cancelled your visa. If they start asking you how much you have stayed in the past and it comes out that you do not meet the residency requirements, telling them that you are now planning to settle may not help because that doesn't change the fact that you don't meet the residency requirements.

Because of your other problems with the sponsorship of your wife, if you have a good job elsewhere, maybe you should just forget this PR.