+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada from US on a work permit

get by

Mar 7, 2009
Hello,

I am currently in Canada on a work permit that expires in October. My visa however expires in June. I am traveling to Europe for 2 weeks in august. Can I return to Canada from the US border with a work permit?

Its too late to apply to renew my visa as my passport has to get stamped for europe.

What are my options. Please let me know.

I looked on the CIC website but could not find any answers.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am currently in Canada on a work permit that expires in October. My visa however expires in June. I am traveling to Europe for 2 weeks in august. Can I return to Canada from the US border with a work permit?

Its too late to apply to renew my visa as my passport has to get stamped for europe.
No, you can't return with just your work permit; the exception does not apply if you go outside the US. You have no other option but to apply for a new TRV.

get by

Mar 7, 2009

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
In this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=208&top=17
I found that it says you can re enter Canada if I only visit US. That means that I cannot enter from anywhere else which I am not trying to do.

What if I leave for my trip from the US and then come back to the US?
Yes but the key word here is ONLY visiting the US which you are obviously not doing if planning to go to Europe in the same trip.

Ultimately your decision if technically you want to misrepresent yourself with CBSA by saying at the border you only went to the US basically knowingly telling a lie. If found out i guess you know what the penalty would be so just get a new TRV and stay legal given despite what the link says as a temporary resident you still need to convince CBSA at each entry.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
In this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=208&top=17
I found that it says you can re enter Canada if I only visit US. That means that I cannot enter from anywhere else which I am not trying to do.

What if I leave for my trip from the US and then come back to the US?
As clearly shown in that link and as I already stated, the exception doesn't apply if you leave the US. Canada and the US share information, so it wouldn't be hard for CBSA to find out that you left the US.