+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada from the US without the PR card

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Hey Guys,

I know this question has been asked a million times ago but how is the process of entering Canada from the US using only your passport(in my case Indian) and COPR. I have been living in Canada since 2014 but would not be able to apply for a new PR card until July 2016 when I will meet the residency obligation. Although I will travel to the US in August after I have completed the required 730 days, I wont be able to get a new PR card in time even if I get urgent processing. I also will need to be back within a few days so I won't have the time to get a travel document either. Both my trip to the states and getting back into Canada within a few days are very urgent.

I would appreciate if you guys could share your experience(or any friend or family you know of) of crossing the US-Canada border with only COPR. Its been more than a year since my PR card expired. I will have a my COPR, Alberta drivers license and can also get a letter from my employer if needed when I cross the border.

I will appreciate any input on this matter.

Cheers

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
I don't have experience I can share, but I'd say from everything I've seen to take your old expired PR card as well.

CBSA cannot deny you entry, you are guaranteed entry as a PR. Worst thing is you'll be delayed for some time so make sure you give yourself that time, they might decide to refer you to secondary to be double sure you don't have anything even slightly dodgy (like fruit or the obvious illegal items) on you or in the car.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
tegveer said:
Hey Guys,

I know this question has been asked a million times ago but how is the process of entering Canada from the US using only your passport(in my case Indian) and COPR. I have been living in Canada since 2014 but would not be able to apply for a new PR card until July 2016 when I will meet the residency obligation. Although I will travel to the US in August after I have completed the required 730 days, I wont be able to get a new PR card in time even if I get urgent processing. I also will need to be back within a few days so I won't have the time to get a travel document either. Both my trip to the states and getting back into Canada within a few days are very urgent.

I would appreciate if you guys could share your experience(or any friend or family you know of) of crossing the US-Canada border with only COPR. Its been more than a year since my PR card expired. I will have a my COPR, Alberta drivers license and can also get a letter from my employer if needed when I cross the border.

I will appreciate any input on this matter.

Cheers
Concur in post by jc94 except that the referral to Secondary could involve questioning about compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. Depending on how close to the minimum you cut it, and other factors, like how overtly apparent it is that you have been in fact living in Canada the last two plus years, how that goes can vary.

Suggestion: be prepared to clearly respond to questions about time in and time outside Canada, about where you have been living, working, and other activities. To be especially careful, perhaps carry (close at hand, so you can pick the papers up and carry them into Secondary if referred to Secondary) some key documents supporting your presence in Canada the last two plus years, including especially something to show where you have been working along with appropriate CRA documents such as copies of T4s, maybe even Notices of Assessment. Probably a good idea to have something physical to show you were in Canada up to the day you went to the U.S. (something to avoid the risk of any concern that you may have been outside Canada longer).

Remember, it is not what you know but what you can prove. And the burden of proving compliance with the PR Residency Obligation is squarely on the PR.

Again, as a PR you will be allowed to enter Canada. But you probably should be prepared for questions about PR RO compliance.

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
dpenabill said:
Concur in post by jc94 except that the referral to Secondary could involve questioning about compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. Depending on how close to the minimum you cut it, and other factors, like how overtly apparent it is that you have been in fact living in Canada the last two plus years, how that goes can vary.

Suggestion: be prepared to clearly respond to questions about time in and time outside Canada, about where you have been living, working, and other activities. To be especially careful, perhaps carry (close at hand, so you can pick the papers up and carry them into Secondary if referred to Secondary) some key documents supporting your presence in Canada the last two plus years, including especially something to show where you have been working along with appropriate CRA documents such as copies of T4s, maybe even Notices of Assessment. Probably a good idea to have something physical to show you were in Canada up to the day you went to the U.S. (something to avoid the risk of any concern that you may have been outside Canada longer).

Remember, it is not what you know but what you can prove. And the burden of proving compliance with the PR Residency Obligation is squarely on the PR.

Again, as a PR you will be allowed to enter Canada. But you probably should be prepared for questions about PR RO compliance.
Thanks for your reply dpenabill

I haven't been working the whole last two years since I have been here. Though I have been working in a research this year and can get a letter from my supervisor. I have been working unpaid so my tax returns wont show any income. I guess what I could have with me is a letter from my supervisor and maybe the boarding passes from the last two visits to Canada along with the passport stamps when I left India (although my passport wasn't stamped by Canadian immigration since I used the Kiosk at the Toronto airport). I guess my drivers license could be a proof too.

Do you think that's good enough. Is there any other kind of documents that I should take with me when I leave?

Also it would be pretty obvious from my passport stamps that there was a point when I didn't meet the residency obligation(like right now) and thats why I didn't renew my PR card sooner. Could that affect their process of letting me in? Though I will send my PR card renewal application before I leave and can show it to them.

I will appreciate your take on my situation.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Where are you living in Canada? Proof of paying rent or even better a mortgage will be a massive help if they want to be picky.

Also, be prepared to explain WHY you are not meeting the requirement. Why have you only been in Canada for 650 days in the last 5 years or whatever.. as I can see them asking that.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
jc94 said:
Where are you living in Canada? Proof of paying rent or even better a mortgage will be a massive help if they want to be picky.
Yes this would help a lot. If you are renting and signed a lease, that would be really helpful to have.

thenumbiceman

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2015
Doc's Request.
~
AOR Received.
05-09-2015
IELTS Request
~
Med's Request
~
Passport Req..
26-01-2016
All,

What about entering without PR card while waiting for a new PR card(new immigrant)? Will COPR suffice?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
thenumbiceman said:
All,

What about entering without PR card while waiting for a new PR card(new immigrant)? Will COPR suffice?
yes.

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Hey guys!!! Just an update on how the process of crossing the land border without PR card (using COPR) was for me. I had no problem at all. The border officer did wonder that if I landed in 2009 where is my PR card, but I simply said I didnt renew it. Its been two years since my PR card had expired but I actually never left Canada in those two years. The whole process took less than a minute. I was in the states for only five days so I knew I wouldn't have much trouble. I hope my experience helps someone else. Thanks

TheHal

Star Member
Sep 21, 2010
London/St. Thomas for now...
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss -->Buff -->Detroit
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Med's Done....
26-10-2010
Interview........
none so far...
Passport Req..
03-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 6th
LANDED..........
Will land 06 june
It may help me!

I have lived continuously in Canada since PR in 2011, but me and my (Canadian) wife have been to the US numerous times, and I also have gone to the US for work. My Card expired, but I hadn't anticipated it taking this long to renew, and I have to go to the US in mid October for a 5 day work related issue, but I may have the company book my travel to Grand Forks, and just have my wife pick me up...

I don't know how it would go trying to cross at an airport without a PR Card. I haven't seen any precedence and don't want to set a negative one. I have worked continuously since landing, for companies in Canada.

Cheers
TH.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
TheHal said:
I don't know how it would go trying to cross at an airport without a PR Card. I haven't seen any precedence and don't want to set a negative one.
Without a PR card or PRTD, you would not even be allowed to board a plane to Canada.

ibo_ibo

Sep 7, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
I left Canada on Nov. 2013, I couldn't find a job since I have landed on nov. 2008, and my family was suffering, I spent all my past savings Sad, now I want to come back with my family (wife and 2 childs) we all have expired PR (our PRs expired on Dec. 2013), we have all multiple visit visa to USA, any chance that CSBA allow us to go inside Canada by a private Canadian Rent Car, with only COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Res.) and passports and expired PR's.
do I have to show my expired PR's for the CBSA?!
I really wish I could return back, as I am now financially stonger than before and I can have my own business.

your quick and clear answer is really appreciated.

ibo...

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
ibo_ibo said:
I left Canada on Nov. 2013, I couldn't find a job since I have landed on nov. 2008, and my family was suffering, I spent all my past savings Sad, now I want to come back with my family (wife and 2 childs) we all have expired PR (our PRs expired on Dec. 2013), we have all multiple visit visa to USA, any chance that CSBA allow us to go inside Canada by a private Canadian Rent Car, with only COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Res.) and passports and expired PR's.
do I have to show my expired PR's for the CBSA?!
I really wish I could return back, as I am now financially stonger than before and I can have my own business.

your quick and clear answer is really appreciated.

ibo...
You can fly to the USA and drive to the border and present your passport and COPR to enter. You can also show your expired PR cards if you have it. Since CBSA officers will ask how long you have been away (and you need to answer honestly), there is a good chance they will report you to IRCC for PR RO violation and let you in. Since you are still PR, they will have to let you in. But IRCC may decide to start the process to strip you PR status. You can appeal while in Canada.

Many people in your situation always ask what are the chances they will report them to IRCC and what are the chances to successfully appeal. No one can tell you that answer.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
keesio said:
You can fly to the USA and drive to the border and present your passport and COPR to enter. You can also show your expired PR cards if you have it. Since CBSA officers will ask how long you have been away (and you need to answer honestly), there is a good chance they will report you to IRCC for PR RO violation and let you in. Since you are still PR, they will have to let you in. But IRCC may decide to start the process to strip you PR status. You can appeal while in Canada.

Many people in your situation always ask what are the chances they will report them to IRCC and what are the chances to successfully appeal. No one can tell you that answer.
Since they just left Canada in Nov 2013, they would actually still be in compliance with RO as long as they return before Nov 2016. Could even apply for a PRTD to fly to Canada directly.

Of course don't know if they spent any time outside Canada before Nov 2013 which would maybe put them in violation of the RO even today.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Rob_TO said:
Since they just left Canada in Nov 2013, they would actually still be in compliance with RO as long as they return before Nov 2016. Could even apply for a PRTD to fly to Canada directly.

Of course don't know if they spent any time outside Canada before Nov 2013 which would maybe put them in violation of the RO even today.
Ah good point. I got confused with 2008.