+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada before school in Canada starts

SMProduction

Mar 23, 2013
Hey guys!

I am a Swiss ciziten and next week I am going to send my application for my work & study permit to Paris. In Canada I am going to take part at the young professional program. This means my course starts on 1st July and for twelve weeks I am going to visit a school. Then as an essential part of my program I am going to gain work experience in an office for twelve weeks.
I've already booked my flight and I am going to be in Canada on 14th June. Am I allowed to enter Canada two weeks before my course start and will my permit be validated then? I guess by then I should be in posess of my permits because the processing time is 8 weeks for Paris and I still have 12 weeks time till I am going to fly, so it should work.
In case I shouldn't get it by then, what are my options? Enter Canada as a tourist or reschedule my flight?

Another question: I am from a visa-exempt country but I'm planning to stay in Canada for 7 months (my flight home is in early January). Should I apply for a temporary resident visa or extend my stay while I am in Canada?

I am really grateful for all answers, I spent hours looking for the answers but I have found different responses and no idea what is right...

tiger007

Champion Member
SMProduction said:
Hey guys!

I am a Swiss ciziten and next week I am going to send my application for my work & study permit to Paris. In Canada I am going to take part at the young professional program. This means my course starts on 1st July and for twelve weeks I am going to visit a school. Then as an essential part of my program I am going to gain work experience in an office for twelve weeks.
I've already booked my flight and I am going to be in Canada on 14th June. Am I allowed to enter Canada two weeks before my course start and will my permit be validated then? I guess by then I should be in posess of my permits because the processing time is 8 weeks for Paris and I still have 12 weeks time till I am going to fly, so it should work.
In case I shouldn't get it by then, what are my options? Enter Canada as a tourist or reschedule my flight?

Another question: I am from a visa-exempt country but I'm planning to stay in Canada for 7 months (my flight home is in early January). Should I apply for a temporary resident visa or extend my stay while I am in Canada?

I am really grateful for all answers, I spent hours looking for the answers but I have found different responses and no idea what is right...
Hi,

Best call or email the Canadian embassy in Switzelrand, and present them with your specific queries.
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/switzerland-suisse/index.aspx?view=d

**All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.