+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada Before Deferral Confirmation

alilatif

Feb 27, 2013
Hello,

I applied to York University as an undergraduate student for the Winter 2013 term but was not able to go due to visa processing delays. I applied for a deferral to the summer semester but, according to the admissions office, it takes up to five weeks to process a deferral request and I should have an answer by mid-March.

My question is: am I allowed to travel to and enter Canada before my deferral request is processed and confirmed? My study permit for which I applied for the Winter 2013 term arrived today.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: If asked for my letter of acceptance, I'm still holding on to the one given to me for the Winter 2013 term.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

alilatif said:
Hello,

I applied to York University as an undergraduate student for the Winter 2013 term but was not able to go due to visa processing delays. I applied for a deferral to the summer semester but, according to the admissions office, it takes up to five weeks to process a deferral request and I should have an answer by mid-March.

My question is: am I allowed to travel to and enter Canada before my deferral request is processed and confirmed?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: If asked for my letter of acceptance, I'm still holding on to the one given me for the Winter 2013 term.

1. Yes, if you get approved for the visa.

alilatif

Feb 27, 2013
enfield said:
Hi,

1. Yes, if you get approved for the visa.
Thanks for your input.

However, I have one concern. I've been told that the immigration officers ask you for several documents upon arrival, including the letter of acceptance from the university. Won't he/she question why I'm travelling to Canada with a letter of acceptance dated for the Winter 2013 term (which started on January 7th)? I have not received my new letter of acceptance from York University as of yet - that is due mid-March according to the admissions office.

Edit: Forgot to add that I received my study permit (for which I applied in November 2012 and for the Winter 2013 term) today.

midsy

Mar 9, 2013
so ...did you enter canada before the deferral ?I too in the same situation .please reply .

aman singh

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
20-03-2011
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2011
LANDED..........
28-04-2011
I will suggest you to wait for the acceptance letter.
Yes, the immigration officer will check your acceptance letter on arrival and if he is not satisfied. He can send you back to home country.
So don't take risk .

Good Luck.

midsy

Mar 9, 2013
I guess you are right .but don't you have to notify the CHC about getting the deferral?

aman singh

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
20-03-2011
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2011
LANDED..........
28-04-2011
No Need.
Just explain in the airport that you receive you visa after starting date of program. And show old and new offer letter as supporting documents.

Good Luck.