+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada as a PR after being away for more than a year

rafy

Jul 16, 2017
I am a PR and I landed in May of 2015 along with my wife. Since the landing we have not returned to Canada as we were finalizing. We plan to return to Canada this coming October of 2017 as my wife is 5 months pregnant and we want to settle down. I heard that PR residents who have been away from Canada for a long time, upon returning, have been "flagged" at the POE despite that they have not spent more than 3 consecutive years outside Canada from the day of their landing i.e. they can still fulfill their 730 days obligation.

I am not sure how this "flagging" happens or what it means. Does it mean that the departure order has started against them? Can the immigration officer start the departure order even if the 730 day obligation is still doable?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would be more concerned that you won't have health coverage for up to 3 months depending on where you are landing. No there is no flagging you should be fine.

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Assume the OP and family all have valid PR cards which they will need in order to board a plane to return to Canada else they will need to apply for PRTDs.

Agree that being away for the time quoted is no issue at all even if asked by CBSA but of more concern might be qualifying for health coverage in meeting the initial waiting period depending on which province heading for..