+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

English Test- new requirement for Canadian Citizenship

Canadiancookie2014

Apr 1, 2014
I will be eligible to apply for my citizenship in 3 months. With regards to the new English proof of Language, You must prove your language skills by taking a language test approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, as of April 1, 2014, you must take the “CELPIP-G 2014” test, which is an alternative to IELTS.

I have passed out from University of Mumbai where it doesn't mention that English is the Main Language in my convocation certificate. I haven't worked in Canada neither done any educational course here. Will I be able to get a certificate from Mumbai University mentioning that the graduation done was in English as they do not accept as English being one of the subjects but need proof that all subjects completed thru English medium university and in English.

Would like to know if anyone is in the same bracket as me, and considers doing the CELPIP or has done it or is there any other alternative of not doing the CELPIP and submitting any other proof of English Language.

Also, I am not the Principal Applicant. So is it mandatory for me to do the test?

Appreciate your feedback.

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Proof of language is mandatory for everyone between 18 and 54. If you are able to prove with official documentation that you acquired your diploma from a english speaking institution then you should be fine. If not, scores from CELPIP-General LS would suffice.

2. Every application is accessed independently, including members of a "family application"; so yes, you still need to prove your language proficiency.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
Canadiancookie2014 said:
I will be eligible to apply for my citizenship in 3 months. With regards to the new English proof of Language, You must prove your language skills by taking a language test approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, as of April 1, 2014, you must take the “CELPIP-G 2014” test, which is an alternative to IELTS.
I have passed out from University of Mumbai where it doesn't mention that English is the Main Language in my convocation certificate. I haven't worked in Canada neither done any educational course here. Will I be able to get a certificate from Mumbai University mentioning that the graduation done was in English as they do not accept as English being one of the subjects but need proof that all subjects completed thru English medium university and in English.
Would like to know if anyone is in the same bracket as me, and considers doing the CELPIP or has done it or is there any other alternative of not doing the CELPIP and submitting any other proof of English Language.
Also, I am not the Principal Applicant. So is it mandatory for me to do the test?
Appreciate your feedback.
You will need to take the test.
Even if you are not the primary applicant, each applicant for citizenship (except minors) are required to meet their own requirements

Canadiancookie2014

Apr 1, 2014
thanks all.

Just found out that CELPIP General LS is valid too and takes abt a hour as compared to the CELPIP general which costs more and is for 3 hrs. So might as well go with that.

c0mputer

Star Member
Jan 5, 2014
Cornwall,ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
single applicant
sent credential evaluation and degree certificate and medium cert copied by my color inkjet printer/scanner

finished test on 3rd april and waiting for oath - routine application and not even an RQ ..touch wood !!!!

springtime

Star Member
May 5, 2014
c0mputer said:
single applicant
sent credential evaluation and degree certificate and medium cert copied by my color inkjet printer/scanner

finished test on 3rd april and waiting for oath - routine application and not even an RQ ..touch wood !!!!
where is your local office?

Canadiancookie2014

Apr 1, 2014
c0mputer said:
single applicant

What is medium certificate? U mean u didn't do the Language test and just sent the certificates scanned in color?

c0mputer

Star Member
Jan 5, 2014
Cornwall,ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i just got a msg from my home up near cornwall ontario while travelling 800 km away down south in sarnia ontario ...i have officially received an OATH LETTER Grin

THEY ASKED ME TO COME TO FOR OATH ON 10TH JUNE IN OTTAWA ...9.00 AM Tongue

i mean i have to cut my work training and trip short for it .. YOU BETCHA --I AM COMING OTTAWA Smiley

THATS ENDS 9 MONTH OF WAIT ...E-CAS HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED YET ..BUT I COULD CARE LESS NOW ..

Namastey!!!! Cool

bongeorgeo

Apr 16, 2011
1-If you have expired IELTS that will work too.
Quote from CIC " level 4 or higher in speaking and listening either done previously for immigration purposes (acceptable even if expired) or done specifically for citizenship purposes "

2- Also a diploma will do the job :
Quote from cic :
"Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, includes... "