+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

English Student with Work Experience Placement in Canada - which VISA?

Chappie

Mar 15, 2015
My father lives in Vancouver Island and has emigrated from England and is now a Canadian Citizen.

I am a full time student studying Equine Science and rehabilitation therapies at the College of West Anglia, Cambridge, England.

For my course I have to complete six weeks of work experience, unpaid, this Summer - 225 hours.

I am intending to visit my father for a period of eight weeks this Summer, and undertake my work experience placement at a Canadian Farm - I have arranged this placement with a Farm local to my Fathers house on Vancouver Island subject to completion of the necessary permissions and paperwork.

Can anyone tell me if I require a visa for my eight weeks in Canada - and which Visa I should be applying for?

I've emailed Canada House - and there is a 28 day wait for a response to the question, and I'm concerned that I will run out of time before mid-June when I need to go across.

Thanks

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chappie said:
My father lives in Vancouver Island and has emigrated from England and is now a Canadian Citizen.

I am a full time student studying Equine Science and rehabilitation therapies at the College of West Anglia, Cambridge, England.

For my course I have to complete six weeks of work experience, unpaid, this Summer - 225 hours.

I am intending to visit my father for a period of eight weeks this Summer, and undertake my work experience placement at a Canadian Farm - I have arranged this placement with a Farm local to my Fathers house on Vancouver Island subject to completion of the necessary permissions and paperwork.

Can anyone tell me if I require a visa for my eight weeks in Canada - and which Visa I should be applying for?

I've emailed Canada House - and there is a 28 day wait for a response to the question, and I'm concerned that I will run out of time before mid-June when I need to go across.

Thanks
8 weeks is no problem to visit to Canada without visa. hahaha. you are from the first country like me.

Chappie

Mar 15, 2015
To complete my module of study and pass I need 225 hours of work experience in the field (horses).

I have been offered a six week placement on a farm near my Dad's house.

I won't be paid.

It is purely for experience to pass my course in the UK.

I want to do it in Canada because then I can spend the summer at my dad's, and I get to see different ways of working and learn something different to my experiences in the UK.

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chappie said:
To complete my module of study and pass I need 225 hours of work experience in the field (horses).

I have been offered a six week placement on a farm near my Dad's house.

I won't be paid.

It is purely for experience to pass my course in the UK.

I want to do it in Canada because then I can spend the summer at my dad's, and I get to see different ways of working and learn something different to my experiences in the UK.
Then, it wont be a problem. This is becuase it is kind of experience. not really reuglar job or paid job. Dont worry.

Chappie

Mar 15, 2015
When I go through Border Control do I say it's for work experience? Or to visit my Dad?

And eight weeks is ok? It feels a long time to me..

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chappie said:
When I go through Border Control do I say it's for work experience? Or to visit my Dad?

And eight weeks is ok? It feels a long time to me..
Yeah, you can say that you want to visit your dad and care horses without paid.

Chappie

Mar 15, 2015
Thank you so much. I was really worried.

One place said it was 'work' although unpaid, so I needed a work permit and they needed to get the position allowed.

But it's not 'work' because there isn't a JOB as such - it's just a chance to shadow people and learn.

Your answer makes more sense to me.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Chappie said:
Thank you so much. I was really worried.

One place said it was 'work' although unpaid, so I needed a work permit and they needed to get the position allowed.

But it's not 'work' because there isn't a JOB as such - it's just a chance to shadow people and learn.

Your answer makes more sense to me.
1. IMHO, you need a work permit.

Chappie

Mar 15, 2015
Thank you (I think!).

But unfortunately two people, two opinions, I don't feel much better off! My concern is that if it becomes difficult - and expensive - for the Farm who have offered this experience to me, then they may withdraw their offer.

I'm not being paid, it's a 'shadowing' role and there is no job - it's to give me an educational experience.

Can you explain why you think I need a work permit please? So that I can understand.

I can see that a study permit won't work - because i'm not attached to any educational establishment in Canada.

Thankyou

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chappie said:
Thank you (I think!).

But unfortunately two people, two opinions, I don't feel much better off! My concern is that if it becomes difficult - and expensive - for the Farm who have offered this experience to me, then they may withdraw their offer.

I'm not being paid, it's a 'shadowing' role and there is no job - it's to give me an educational experience.

Can you explain why you think I need a work permit please? So that I can understand.

I can see that a study permit won't work - because i'm not attached to any educational establishment in Canada.

Thankyou
I share my experience in Canada. I experienced in hosiptal as a front desk without paid for a month. At that moment, I didnt have any visa. Just allow staying in Canada. Cause I am from the first country which does not require a visa. My purpose was that practicing my English + meet a lot of people. That's it. There was no problem for visa issue. It is not paid job or regular job. It looks like more volunteering or education purpose.
In my opinion, your plan and my case are similar.

tyson450

Nov 1, 2013
Wait for the official response from Canada House.

Since you do not need a visa to enter Canada, at the airport you can say you are a tourist or visiting family.

You will be "working" even though it is unpaid. I think you would require a work permit, however you can still get into the country as a tourist/visitor. It can be a matter of your conscience, get in easy as a tourist vs lots of paperwork and form filling going down the other route.

Make sure you get a very comprehensive travel insurance. Risk factor is higher being on a farm vs being in an office.

Otherwise line up the work experience in the UK and visit Dad as a genuine holidaymaker later in the year. You sound as if you are young enough to do the IEC (International Experience Canada) in the future if you want to try living/working in Canada or even Dad sponsoring you over there.