Engineering jobs in Canada (except IT)

SISH7255

Nov 19, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2011
We know that most of the Engineering profession is regulated in Canada. Among those are Civil, mechanical, electrical, computer(except IT) and many other branches of engineering. We also know that, thousands of engineers migrated to Canada from all over the world, making huge difference in supply and demand. There was a massive influx of foreign trained Engineers in the last decade. During the last decade alone (2001-2010), among professionals @75% of them were engineers. This is the profession which has seen its yearly national supply rate increase 3-fold in a decade where the labour force and economy grew less than 20% is going to be in trouble for a generation. (Do your math, 15 engineers behind 1 job) Among these nearly 55% of foreign-trained engineers, a group which for three years was basically the same size as Canada's ENTIRE engineering graduating class, try to settle in Toronto representing less than 17% of Canada's jobs, eventually the results are entirely predictable. Result, highly qualified and experienced Engineers start to drive taxis, work as labourer in factories and curse their choice to come here.
(Ref: Professional Engineers Ontario member discussion forum-ww.peo.on.ca)

Thanks to Canadian government, since February 2008, the new list of 38 high demand categories was published and unlimited supply of engineers was stopped altogether.

I have opened this thread to discuss current job situation for engineers in Canada. Is there any improvement? Landed engineers are welcome to comment and please give us some insight.

So, immigrating Engineers please come forward, discuss and help each other.

SISH7255

schwarzeradler

Mar 10, 2010
SISH7255 said:
We know that most of the Engineering profession is regulated in Canada. Among those are Civil, mechanical, electrical, computer(except IT) and many other branches of engineering. We also know that, thousands of engineers migrated to Canada from all over the world, making huge difference in supply and demand. There was a massive influx of foreign trained Engineers in the last decade. During the last decade alone (2001-2010), among professionals @ 75% of them were engineers. This is the profession which has seen its yearly national supply rate increase 3-fold in a decade where the labour force and economy grew less than 20% is going to be in trouble for a generation. (Do your math, 15 engineers behind 1 job) Among these nearly 55% of foreign-trained engineers, a group which for three years was basically the same size as Canada's ENTIRE engineering graduating class, try to settle in Toronto representing less than 17% of Canada's jobs, eventually the results are entirely predictable. Result, highly qualified and experienced Engineers start to drive taxis, work as labourer in factories and curse their choice to come here.
erm...sorry....but, I thought this was not true. This fact seems to be denied whenever anybody raises the issue. Apparently nobody (out of the highly qualified immigrants) seems to be working in Pizzeria's, driving Taxis, etc. Please correct me If I am wrong.
(Ref: Professional Engineers Ontario member discussion forum-ww.peo.on.ca)

Thanks to Canadian government, since February 2008, the new list of 38 high demand categories was published and unlimited supply of engineers was stopped altogether.

I have opened this thread to discuss current job situation for engineers in Canada. Is there any improvement? Landed engineers are welcome to comment and please give us some insight.

So, immigrating Engineers please come forward, discuss and help each other.

SISH7255

edmonta

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
0711 & 9212
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-May-2010
Doc's Request.
30-sept-2010
AOR Received.
1st-30th Sept 2010,2nd-08th June 2011
IELTS Request
done-7 band
File Transfer...
dont know what is this..in process from 26 april 2012
Med's Request
19-July-2013
Med's Done....
30-July-2013,ECAS updated with Medicals received on 18-Aug-2013
Interview........
not been called for..
Passport Req..
19-July-13
VISA ISSUED...
On 4th October 2013
LANDED..........
July 2014
I would love to join the discussion though I've not reached to the destination-canada.I have sent my full docs and waiting for the 2nd AOR.
I am a Mech engineer and working in the production field.Would love to get info through the post.
AS SIS suggested ,landed engineers who are doing jobs may throw some lights on the subject..
thanks & regards
Edmonta

kathe

Sep 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/09/2010
AOR Received.
17/02/2011
Med's Request
24/05/2011
Med's Done....
27/06/2011 RPRF Sent...:27/06/2011 RPRF Cashed...: 29/06/2011
Passport Req..
14/07/2011 Passport submitted...: 10/08/2011
VISA ISSUED...
18/08/2011
LANDED..........
Soon
Have no idea of other Eng: Prof:, my background is Environmental Engineering. Perhaps Env: Prof: surely needs EP /EPT Cert: to work in Canada regardless of previous experience/qualification. However, when I’d tested the water, the knock-on effect was pretty positive. IMO we should do in-depth research pertaining to one’s profession, such as requisite Cert; potential job markets of one’s profession ( I do realize that diverse areas through the Canada have different career trends/demands), the more you do your homework, the better chance you can grasp at. Not being overly positive or negative, be practical and be brave enough to expect the success but prepare for the failure and always have Plan B, if possible, Plan B,C,D, just my opinion, everybody has a right to accept it or reject it , I don't mind and would respect the different perspective :) Thanks!