+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment Reference Letter from Co-workers/Colleagues

Sri_Dev

Feb 5, 2023
Hi All,

I'm applying for PR in the CEC category and I have all documents except an employment reference letter with roles and responsibilities from one of my previous employers.

I have requested the letter from the employer through multiple emails and phone calls, but I couldn't get any response. Further, this employer doesn't care about employees once they are left the company. So, it is impossible to get a letter from them. However, I do have the offer letter, resignation letter, experience letter, all paystubs, ID-card photo, and Income tax document for this employment. But, none of the letters has roles and responsibilities in them.

After I had gone through a lot of research on the forums of CanadaVisa.com, I can understand that getting an employment reference letter from co-workers/colleagues would be sufficient. But, I have a few questions about that,

1) Will getting a reference letter signed by a co-worker on plain paper (rather than letterhead) is fine?
2) Do I need to get the co-worker's reference letter notarized?
3) Do I need to get any co-worker's proof of employment in the company (like an ID-Card-if currently working, Experience letter-if ex-employee)?
4) If anyone has any template for this co-worker's reference letter, please share.

Looking for your response.

Thanks.

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
Hi All,

I'm applying for PR in the CEC category and I have all documents except an employment reference letter with roles and responsibilities from one of my previous employers.

I have requested the letter from the employer through multiple emails and phone calls, but I couldn't get any response. Further, this employer doesn't care about employees once they are left the company. So, it is impossible to get a letter from them. However, I do have the offer letter, resignation letter, experience letter, all paystubs, ID-card photo, and Income tax document for this employment. But, none of the letters has roles and responsibilities in them.

After I had gone through a lot of research on the forums of CanadaVisa.com, I can understand that getting an employment reference letter from co-workers/colleagues would be sufficient. But, I have a few questions about that,

1) Will getting a reference letter signed by a co-worker on plain paper (rather than letterhead) is fine?
3) Do I need to get any co-worker's proof of employment in the company (like an ID-Card-if currently working, Experience letter-if ex-employee)?
4) If anyone has any template for this co-worker's reference letter, please share.

Thanks.
1 - Yes
2 - Yes
3 - Yes
4 - You should be able to find it on this forum, plenty of templates are there.

And yes, this should be in addition to the other documents related to this work experience.

Reactions: Sri_Dev

Sri_Dev

Feb 5, 2023
@Maverick28

Thank you so much for the input. It’s so helpful.

Sorry, I have searched a lot for the Colleague reference letter template, but I couldn’t find it.

However, I did see a lot of templates for the employment reference letter.

I hope that Colleague References Letter is different from the employment reference letter. Like colleague letter shouldn’t contains information about Salary. I hope there would be some other differences as well.

If anyone knows about the colleague reference letter template. Please refer.

Thanks again for your answer @Maverick28

Last edited:

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
@Maverick28

Thank you so much for the input. It’s so helpful.

Sorry, I have searched a lot for the Colleague reference letter template, but I couldn’t find it.

However, I did see a lot of templates for the employment reference letter.

I hope that Colleague References Letter is different from the employment reference letter. Like colleague letter shouldn’t contains information about Salary. I hope there would be some other differences as well.

If anyone knows about the colleague reference letter template. Please refer.

Thanks again for your answer @Maverick28
Yes just use the same format and remove the salary or any other confidential information. Add the colleague's details and contact information.

versha0716

Feb 10, 2023
Yes just use the same format and remove the salary or any other confidential information. Add the colleague's details and contact information.
I'm in the same situation as Sri, I wonder this option 3) Do I need to get any co-worker's proof of employment in the company (like an ID-Card-if currently working, Experience letter-if ex-employee)? I can't make it, do we have other ways? I can only obtain reference letter from previous co-worker but impossible for me to get his ID/ employment letter.

versha0716

Feb 10, 2023
Hi All,

Thanks.
Hey Sri, I'm in the same boat. Almost the same situation and I decide to obtain a reference letter from ex-coworker. But I'm not sure whether we need to prove his/her was employed with the company. It's kinda difficult to provide other's information. How will you solve this?? Thank you!!!

Blendarinka

Jun 1, 2023
I'm in the same situation as Sri, I wonder this option 3) Do I need to get any co-worker's proof of employment in the company (like an ID-Card-if currently working, Experience letter-if ex-employee)? I can't make it, do we have other ways? I can only obtain reference letter from previous co-worker but impossible for me to get his ID/ employment letter.
Hi versha0716,

I find my self in a similar condition. Have you been able to solve this?

Thiago Cruz

Aug 30, 2023
Hi All,

Thanks.
Hi, have you found your template? could you send it to me please?