+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer Reference Letter

TarunVerma

Star Member
Apr 28, 2009
Hi All, I am planning to apply for FSW1 and before that making sure if I can arrange all the required documents. One of them is Employer reference letter describing job duties, duration and salary. Here are my questions.

1. Till now I worked with three employers. So do I have to get the reference letter from all three of them. Reason I am asking this because I worked for very small duration with first two employers (7 Months & 2 Months) So I am not sure if they will provide me the reference letter as required. Addition to this, both of these employers are in India and I am in USA, so getting such letter would not be any easy.

2. If I want to get reference letter from my current (third) employer then I will have to inform employer the reason for having such letter. But I do not want to inform to my employer that I am processing FSW1. In this situation what is the alternative? Can I send my joining letter to CHS? Will that be considered as employment reference?

Thanks for you help!!!!

GodBlessAll

May 3, 2009
I too have a similar question. Cam someone provide the link which contains details to what all should be in the employer reference letter.

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

GodBlessAll said:
I too have a similar question. Cam someone provide the link which contains details to what all should be in the employer reference letter.

Thanks.
Its called read the instructions in Office Checklist where you are applying.

7. WORK EXPERIENCE
For you and your spouse or common-law partner:
• notarized employment contracts from your present and past employers,
accompanied by an English or French translation
• original and up-to-date letters of reference from your past and current employers.
Letters must be written on company letterhead and show the company’s full
address, telephone and fax numbers, and be stamped with the company’s official
seal.
Letters must include all of the following information:
• the specific period of your employment with the company
• the positions you have held during the period of employment and the time spent
in each position
• your main responsibilities in each position
• your total annual salary plus benefits
• the signature of your immediate supervisor or the personnel officer of the
company
• a business card of the person signing
If you cannot provide a reference from your current employer, provide a
written explanation.

PMM

Sir K

Star Member
Mar 16, 2009
I also had similar problem. but Ive already submitted my full application without the reference letters.
This is what I did:
Definitely I will not manufacture a reference letter from a company that has folded up nor will I force a director that is not willing to write one. So I attach a written explanation why I could not get them.
1. One of the company has folded up.
2. The other one, the director is not willing (I attach print out of my email correspondence).
Where I am working presently, because I did not want them to know that I am processing FSW1, I told my boss to write a reference letter addressed to a professional body in Canada which he did. A copy of that letter was attach with a written statement from me why it was addressed to that body and not to the Canadian high commission.

Anyway mine is a test case. Let me see the outcome of my application before you follow suit.
Cheers

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
Hi Tarun,

I'm exactly in the same boat as you... But, I went ahead and applied becasue there is a clause that in case you are not able to produce reference letters, provide written explanation.

I decided to take a chance... :)

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sir K said:
I also had similar problem. but Ive already submitted my full application without the reference letters.
This is what I did:
Definitely I will not manufacture a reference letter from a company that has folded up nor will I force a director that is not willing to write one. So I attach a written explanation why I could not get them.
1. One of the company has folded up.
2. The other one, the director is not willing (I attach print out of my email correspondence).
Where I am working presently, because I did not want them to know that I am processing FSW1, I told my boss to write a reference letter addressed to a professional body in Canada which he did. A copy of that letter was attach with a written statement from me why it was addressed to that body and not to the Canadian high commission.

Anyway mine is a test case. Let me see the outcome of my application before you follow suit.
Cheers

Just FYI, A reference Letter is never addressed to anybody normally. It always starts with "TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN".

Sir K

Star Member
Mar 16, 2009
BobbyB
I disaggre with you, reference letters are meant to be addressed to a particular person or body for it to have any meaning.
Cheers

euromelb

May 10, 2009
What about if one is working in Canada on a working holiday visa

Do the same rules applies when one has to provide Canadian employer references?

Khanboy

Star Member
Jan 5, 2009
Dear All,

Interesting question. Well I think if you speak truth then it should not be a matter. Not a big deal. Tell them you are applying for Canada as I did to all of the employers either present or past. Furthermore please I am very clear all the letters like this always are anonymous and addressed as 'TO WHOME IT MAY CONCERN'. If you are writing some evidence without reference letter then I think you are not safe! This is immigration and not some high school you need to prove your statement/evidence please.

Well best of luck

Cheers
Khanboy

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sir K said:
BobbyB
I disaggre with you, reference letters are meant to be addressed to a particular person or body for it to have any meaning.
Cheers
I am not going to argue with you. You have the right to your own opinion. I am talking from Experience and I don't care whether you agree or not.

Khanboy

Star Member
Jan 5, 2009
Dear Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Thats was rude I was just sharing! All of us should be nice and polite! Not a matter of arguing!

Let some one else answer abt "To Whom It May Concern"

Bob be cool! Drinks on Me in Canada!

Cheers
Khanboy

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Khanboy said:
Dear Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Thats was rude I was just sharing! All of us should be nice and polite! Not a matter of arguing!

Let some one else answer abt "To Whom It May Concern"

Bob be cool! Drinks on Me in Canada!

Do you know the meaning of being rude? What is rude in what I have written. It's just my opinion. If you cannot accept my opinion, well @ least respect it and don't say it's rude. And for all, I wasn't replying to any of your posts anyway?

Khanboy

mahharrouf

Jan 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sir K said:
BobbyB
Cheers

Its depend how did you asked for. Forexample, one of my previous employer.. when i requested them a reference letter, they asked where do you want to submit and they adressed to Canadian Embassy in my country while all my other latters are "To Whom It May Concerb" exectly as BobbyB said. Majority of reference letters contain "to whom it may concern" while you are talking about, Usually Recommendation letter could be adressed to Particular but not reference.