+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer not willing to provide reference letter

psantosh

May 21, 2014
Hello,

I work out of India and my employer is not willing to provide me with the reference letter.

However, I have a manager/supervisor in Europe who is willing to give me a reference letter. Will this be acceptable?

Thanks,
Santosh

sri5529

Sep 3, 2012
Dear Santosh,

It is been told by one of my friend that even for him also same had happend with his previous employer. He has given self declaration by giving his roles & responsibilities in detail.

As your manager/supervisor is wiling to give the reference letter I hope it should work.

Good luck

Sri

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
psantosh said:
Hello,

I work out of India and my employer is not willing to provide me with the reference letter.

However, I have a manager/supervisor in Europe who is willing to give me a reference letter. Will this be acceptable?

Thanks,
Santosh
If that supervisor has a reasonable basis for knowing your duties (and explains this in the letter) then yes. I also recommend explaining to CIC why you cannot obtain an official letter.

psantosh

May 21, 2014
Thank you for your response.

Does the letter from the supervisor have to be on an official letterhead? Will it suffice if I get a signed letter from the supervisor with his visiting card?

Thanks again.

Santosh

sri5529

Sep 3, 2012
psantosh said:
Thank you for your response.

Does the letter from the supervisor have to be on an official letterhead? Will it suffice if I get a signed letter from the supervisor with his visiting card?

Thanks again.

Santosh
HI Santosh,

As long as your supervisor is giving ref. letter along with his business card it should be fine.When I checked with my consultant he said it is fine.

regards

smithaCAN

May 29, 2014
Hi All,

I am also facing the same problem that my earlier companies are not willing to give me Reference letters with roles explained in it. Please suggest an alternative for the problem.

However if the reference letters from managers/colleagues are acceptable, then

Should the letter be in stamp paper or plain paper
How many references should i take
Is visiting card or email from official mail is accepatable
any other authentication required.

Please suggest. I am sort of stuck in the middle.

thanks
Smitha

click.trick

May 22, 2014
Chilliwack, BC
The reference letter should be on letterhead.
Important is a letter from current employer, which must be easier to get,
If the previous employer refuses, I suggest to attach your experience certificate, your contract copy. And also if you could attach the refusal of a new letter which might be email correspondence that they accept you have worked on this designation but a new letter cannot be issued as you are no more working with us.

9ja4dLord

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
My employer only gives a generic introduction letter that states your title, your salary and your length of service with the company. Since I need more than this in my application, I wrote a letter explaing why I do not have a reference letter and attached the introduction letter, my letter of offer for my last position and a detailed list of my responsibilities. See example below -

Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Centralized Intake Office
PO BOX 7500
Sydney, NS
B1P 0A9
Canada

Dear Sir/Ma

Written explanation for inability to provide detailed letter from Employer
to confirm positions held, details of responsibilities and total annual salary
plus benefits in each position

This is to inform you that the office/officer responsible for issuing introduction letters or details of remuneration for employees in my company informed me that they are not allowed to issue letters that includes all the details listed in the requirements because they have a pre-approved standard format for such letters. However, I was given an introduction letter containing the standard details such as my date of employment, my current job title and annual salary plus benefits. The letter is attached.

In addition to the letter, I have also included

• a copy of my initial employment letter from 19XX showing my first job title,
• a copy of my performance feedback for 2007 showing my job title in YYYY
• a copy of the letter of transfer that changed my job title to abcd xyz (in YYYY)
• a copy of my in-house Personal Experience Record (similar to a CV)
• my total income for the year as conatine d in my benefits sheet

Thank you.

Yours truly,

Vats

Champion Member
Feb 3, 2012
your letter must include duties you perform in addition to job duration and other details

if at all you are not getting it than take it on company letter head by any of your senior

smithaCAN

May 29, 2014
Hi All,

Thanks for the reply, however, no reference letetrs will be on the company letter head, since it would be illegal to do so. Can I get it on the plain paper with the references email id and phone no. Would that suffice. I have all the offer letters and relieving letters.

Please suggest.

Thanks
Smitha

9ja4dLord

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
smithaCAN said:
Hi All,

Thanks for the reply, however, no reference letetrs will be on the company letter head, since it would be illegal to do so. Can I get it on the plain paper with the references email id and phone no. Would that suffice. I have all the offer letters and relieving letters.

Please suggest.

Thanks
Smitha
My example above was not on the company letter head. It was just a simple letter explaining why I don't have a detailed reference letter

smithaCAN

May 29, 2014
Thanks Very Much!! Its has eased me....

Now the summary is as below - Correct me if i am wrong

Offer letter and Relieving letters from all companies
Remuneration letters from all companies
Self explanation letetrs for non issual of Stated letter on Comapny letterhead
Emails correspondence of rejection of letter from the comapnies if any
Reference letters from employees,managers etc with company card, on plain paper

This would be fine for backing up right?

Vats

Champion Member
Feb 3, 2012
most probably but the ref letter shoul include duties
ref http://tinyurl.com/mrqj5yc in rejection tab find similar cases and check what not privided

smithaCAN said:
Thanks Very Much!! Its has eased me....

Now the summary is as below - Correct me if i am wrong

Offer letter and Relieving letters from all companies
Remuneration letters from all companies
Self explanation letetrs for non issual of Stated letter on Comapny letterhead
Emails correspondence of rejection of letter from the comapnies if any
Reference letters from employees,managers etc with company card, on plain paper

This would be fine for backing up right?

May 30, 2014
India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
11-02-2015
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2015
LANDED..........
Probably in June
My employer is also denying to give such a certificate stating that it is against the company policies. I have read in some threads that a self declared letter along with all the proofs like appointment letter, payslips, performance feedback etc will work and the final decision rests with CIC. But i would like to know is there any known persons who have got PR in the absence of such employment letter as need by CIC (with all other supporting documents) ?

Vats

Champion Member
Feb 3, 2012
Try to search on http://tinyurl.com/mrqj5yc
as still I doubt only self declaration will not work

fswaspirant2014 said:
My employer is also denying to give such a certificate stating that it is against the company policies. I have read in some threads that a self declared letter along with all the proofs like appointment letter, payslips, performance feedback etc will work and the final decision rests with CIC. But i would like to know is there any known persons who have got PR in the absence of such employment letter as need by CIC (with all other supporting documents) ?