+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employed or unemployed-confused

ssg1212

Jul 12, 2010
Hi

I am PR and I am going to complete PhD in 2 month. Now I am looking for job.

I am going to sponsor my wife in next few days. I do have got Option-c Print out from CRA.

In form IMM 5481, what should I write (employed or unemployed) as I am still pursuing phD in university. And 2ndly I dont think my professor will give me letter stating that I am getting funding from him (as I am graduating in next 2 months).

I read that we dont actually need any employment if we r sponsoring wife. If this is the case do I need to give some explanation. I am worried about this situation.
Thanks

djboinsk

Star Member
May 25, 2010
A Little Town In Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 26 2010-Sent Out
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 17 2010
LANDED..........
March 2011 !!! :):)
I would say unemployed and state you are a student.

ssg1212

Jul 12, 2010
in my case what should I write then. I have option c print out for last 3 years and I am student (graduating in 2 months). And I also have sufficient funds in my bank, so I can show bank statement.
But I can't show letter from my supervisor as I am graduating very soon. what should I write in a letter to sponsor my wife.. Please help

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
I'm assuming that the cheques you have received are from your university's HR office. This is the case with the University of Ottawa and they gave me a very good "record of employment". Beyond that, you just need to say that you are graduating soon with a PhD and are currently looking for work (or will be then). Unless they think that you are totally incapable of making a living for yourself and your wife, this will not be an issue.

You would have to have hopeless job prospects before this would have any bearing on a PR application.

ssg1212

Jul 12, 2010
BeShoo said:
I'm assuming that the cheques you have received are from your university's HR office. This is the case with the University of Ottawa and they gave me a very good "record of employment". Beyond that, you just need to say that you are graduating soon with a PhD and are currently looking for work (or will be then). Unless they think that you are totally incapable of making a living for yourself and your wife, this will not be an issue.

You would have to have hopeless job prospects before this would have any bearing on a PR application.
hey thanks. I dont get check but amount I received till now gets deposited directly in bank. I can get statement from HR though for the scholarship I received till now. But I can't show for coming next month. I will explain the situation in a letter, I guess that will be better.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
ssg1212 said:
I dont get check but amount I received till now gets deposited directly in bank. I can get statement from HR though for the scholarship I received till now.
That's what I meant, either a cheque or a direct deposit. There is no requirement to have a current employment. Spouse/partner applications are exempt from that. They will not find this to be a problem as long as they think you will somehow be able to support your spouse after the PR if he or she is not working after that time. Normally, this is not an issue at all.