+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Emergency travel during inland application process

Nov 2, 2014
Hi
I am Canadian citizen from Alberta and my wife is in usa, NY, She is coming next month and we gonna start our sponsor and her PR. she had her parent in usa, her father had brain cancer and we not sure when he gonna pass away. If we start our inland application and in-between if her father died can she go see her father in NY, usa. does she allowed to go usa for her gather funeral?
other question is i just started working fulltime before couple of month i was full time student and was not working, can i sponsor my wife if i have student loan and less income last year?

i am really dont know what to do at this time if anyone help me it will be so great. thank you

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
if she is a US citizen there is absolutely NO REASON why she should be applying inland. If she applies inland, traveling and being denied reentry will cancel her application, and it's currently taking 2ish years for approval.

you WANT to be applying OUTLAND. She can be IN canada as a visitor while the outland application is processing, and she is free to travel to and from the states while the application is processing. Outland US applications are processed in OTTAWA and are currently taking 3-7 months for approval, and straightfoward applications are waived interviews.

DO NOT APPLY INLAND. YOU WILL BE MAKING A BIG, HUGE MISTAKE AND WILL SOON REGRET IT.

I CAN'T SAY IT ENOUGH... THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON FOR A US CITIZEN TO APPLY INLAND RIGHT NOW.

if she's not a us citizen, it is still probably NOT in her best interest to apply inland. For ANY visa exempt applicant, it makes no sense, and for those requiring visas it only makes sense in certain circumstances. Again, if she applies inland, she risks cancelling her application anytime she travels.

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 4, 2013 & February 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
in Calgary since March 29, 2012. Landed as PR May 3, 2014
Totally agree with rhcohen2014

Nov 2, 2014
thank you rhcohen2014

I checked the processing time for NY, its 33 month that makes me think about inland process which is just 14 month.
I want her to be here in canada but about 3 year to get her PR is very long time.

M

mikeymyke

To avoid that issue, you should apply outland. Ignore the posted processing times, they're not accurate. If you have a straightforward case, expect to get PR in 4-6 months with outland. Never apply inland as an American.

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 4, 2013 & February 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
in Calgary since March 29, 2012. Landed as PR May 3, 2014
Madhavitimsina said:
thank you rhcohen2014

I checked the processing time for NY, its 33 month that makes me think about inland process which is just 14 month.
I want her to be here in canada but about 3 year to get her PR is very long time.
You won't apply through NY, you will apply through Ottawa. Average processing time says 16 months, but right now it's 3-7 months for a lot of people.
Inland is 22 months processing time (14+8) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
I don't think family sponsorships are processed in NY now. Most are processed in Ottawa, where they take 3 to 7 months, as rhcohen2014 said, and some of the problem cases are sent to LA, where they do take longer. Reasons for being sent to the LA office are: criminal ineligibility, non-accompanying dependents, very scant relationship proof (suspicion of marriage of convenience) or medical ineligibility issues.

Also remember that "processing times" are NOT an average or median. The posted times are how long it took CIC to go through 80% of applications = most of them. Only 20%, the problem cases, took longer than the processing time. If you think your wife has no criminal record etc., she should apply Outland.

In case you do decide to apply Inland (could be many years, since processing times for stage one just doubled the past few months and they seemed to be taking a month to process a day's worth of applications) she should remember that she risks having her entire application canceled if she leaves Canada. The reasons do not matter, if she left for a family emergency, a vacation or a whim. There is no appeal. However, she can start the whole process again and apply with a new application.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Madhavitimsina said:
thank you rhcohen2014

As everyone else has said, US applications are NOT processed in LA or NYC. Like Kayaker said, NYC doesn't even process family class applications, and the ONLY files that get sent to LA are those requiring interview. If you look in my signature, there is a blue link to the Ottawa processing office spreadsheet, and it will show you the "trends" for real life applicants. You will see mostly ALL 2014 applicants have already been approved and landed. If you check in with the inland thread, mid- 2013 applicants are just now getting through STAGE 1! The choice is obvious.

Here are some things to keep in mind:

1) the posted processing times do not reflect a true average of applications. They are not recent either. Basically they reflect the "worst case scenario" from last year for each office.
2) Ottawa processes applications from other countries too, so the "worst case scenario" posted time of 16 month reflects that. Not all applications are from the US and are visa exempt.
3) The same can be said about the processing time for LA. LA just doesn't handle family class interviews, so their ridiculous posting time is reflective of that, and does NOT reflect the reality of a PR family class sponsorship application requiring an interview.
4) For those us applicants sent to LA for an interview, the time frame seems to be more like 12-16 months for approval.

A US CITIZEN SHOULD NOT APPLY INLAND. DO NOT APPLY INLAND. THE ONLY WAY A US CITIZEN SHOULD APPLY FOR PR IS OUTSIDE OF CANADA!!!
(personally i don't even think CIC should be ACCEPTING inland applications from ANY visa exempt applicants at this point.)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Madhavitimsina said:
I checked the processing time for NY,
You need to read the guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999Etoc.asp
Immigration Office requested for the processing of your application
Indicate the name of the Immigration Office which serves:

Links to this page, which shows CPC-Ottawa is to be selected for all US citizen applications. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
CIC needs to clear this up on their page. It confuses too many people and makes them apply inland over outland.

Then again there is a whole lot that can be cleared up on CIC's webpages and documentation...

kitty410

Star Member
May 8, 2014
Madhavitimsina said:
Hi
I am Canadian citizen from Alberta and my wife is in usa, NY, She is coming next month and we gonna start our sponsor and her PR. she had her parent in usa, her father had brain cancer and we not sure when he gonna pass away. If we start our inland application and in-between if her father died can she go see her father in NY, usa. does she allowed to go usa for her gather funeral?
other question is i just started working fulltime before couple of month i was full time student and was not working, can i sponsor my wife if i have student loan and less income last year?

i am really dont know what to do at this time if anyone help me it will be so great. thank you
outland. I am Korean and applied over outland while I was in the US and traveled to Canada. it took me 12 months. Normally 4 to 6 months. Mine took long because CIC requested new FBI clearance and doubted my sponsor's eligibility.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
kitty410 said:
outland. I am Korean and applied over outland while I was in the US and traveled to Canada. it took me 12 months. Normally 4 to 6 months. Mine took long because CIC requested new FBI clearance and doubted my sponsor's eligibility.
and your story is consistent with the idea that non-us citizens applying as a us resident takes longer to process than a citizen.

MizAngel

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/02/2014
Doc's Request.
11/03/2014
AOR Received.
23/04/2014
File Transfer...
09/05/2014
Med's Done....
19/02/2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 12/08/2014, CoPR 20/08/2014
LANDED..........
23/08/2014
Madhavitimsina said:
Hi

To answer the second question, yes you can sponsor your wife if you have student loans and not much income. There is no income requirement for spousal sponsorship, you just cannot be on welfare. I have massive amounts of student loans and had no issues sponsoring my husband.

Nov 2, 2014
thanks you everyone, i really appriciate it. i will go ouland process for her, i have another question though.
She is coming canada in my place next month, can we process our outland application from canada? she will be here for couple of month. can she applied outland application process by staying in canada?

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
That's absolutely no problem. She could even put down a Canadian address for her address, if she wishes. She can be in Canada when she files, and she can stay in Canada while she waits for the results. (Of course, she needs to apply to extend her stay if she wishes to stay longer than 6 months.)