+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Emergency passport- does Canada accept it?

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
My relative is visiting Canada as a tourist only and recently found out her passport is expiring, she is traveling to Canada in one week. Since it might be too late to apply for a normal passport at this point, will Canada accept an emergency passport? Many countries do, but certain do not, such as USA.. I cannot find any information online about this. Can anyone guide me?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My relative is visiting Canada as a tourist only and recently found out her passport is expiring, she is traveling to Canada in one week. Since it might be too late to apply for a normal passport at this point, will Canada accept an emergency passport? Many countries do, but certain do not, such as USA.. I cannot find any information online about this. Can anyone guide me?
What is the validity of her TRV? Or does she have an eTA?

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
What is the validity of her TRV? Or does she have an eTA?
She will apply for an eTA but cannot without a valid passport

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
She will apply for an eTA but cannot without a valid passport
She needs to apply for a valid travel document i.e. a passport that carries full passport services. She can then apply for an eTA linked to the new passport.

Emergency travel documents are intended for a single trip in case of dire emergencies. Even Canadians who avail/seek Emergency Travel Documents when they are abroad must surrender these Limited Validity Travel Documents on arrival at the POE and they will go through secondary checks for immigration

Reactions: Buletruck

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Agreed. Emergency travel documents are designed to get you home in cases where you no longer have your passport. They aren’t intended to be used to travel out of the home country for vacation purposes. I suspect CBSA would refuse them entry for anything other than transiting to their home country.

Reactions: Bryanna

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Agreed. Emergency travel documents are designed to get you home in cases where you no longer have your passport. They aren’t intended to be used to travel out of the home country for vacation purposes. I suspect CBSA would refuse them entry for anything other than transiting to their home country.
Agreed.

I suspect the OP's relative will not be issued an eTA to start with