+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Embarrassing but, we're all grown-ups here (I hope). Please don't judge me..

Feb 23, 2011
:'(

Businessman travelling to Toronto Monday.
Had to show my air ticket bookings/receipt, hotel confirmation etc.
Unfortunately I had left a page with some scribbled notes on a print out from
a 'companionship' agency (I can't bring myself to use the 'e' word).

A few more questions followed and then I was waved through. Got suitcase then my card was
inspected again and I was advised to go to a side room. I was questioned again about the
page with notes. I won't detail the questions but they were about the proposed meeting, contact details
etc.

They said I could be removed or I could withdraw my application to enter Canada.
I was excruciatingly embarrassed at everything: the whole situation, my careless stupidity etc.
And it was a woman official questioning me which was somehow worse.
I withdrew my application as I was fearful they might contact or telephone my employer.
They telephoned the number on the page with notes.
I read somewhere else that your name will be flagged on re-entry. What does this mean exactly? If you take voluntary withdrawal are the precise notes left on the system or am I expected to explain next time why I withdrew my application? I visit Canada about twice or three times a year on business and so this episode could have ramifications. I would appreciate advice. Please, reserve judgement on why and how I got into this mess. I feel bad enough already.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Being flagged is likely, the fact is you were not 100% honest (to the IO) about your visit.
Misrepresentation is not good, and may result in a ban of entry to Canada, some folk here have reported one and two year bans being issued.
All "flagged" means is that you are more likely to be sent to secondary immigration on your next trip.

The notes about this will be on the system, so you may be asked about it.
However it is more likely that you will be questioned about the "current" visit, not historic events.

Carry a full a list of meetings an appointments, read the CIC site notes for visitors.
Be very clear what a business visitor is allowed to do in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/business.asp

Feb 23, 2011
Hello Balloo.
Thanks for the quick (and non-judgemental, at least in writing) response.

I get what you say about not being honest but it was essentially a business trip and the
companionship thing an after-thought and not something I always - or even usually - do.
In fact after 7 trips to Canada, this was the 2nd since my divorce 2 years ago.
I think, to be honest, no business or general visitor would declare to an IO that out of a 3/4 day business/
leisure trip they would have a companion for a couple of hours on one specific evening. I was told specifically
soliciting for s** is a crime etc which made me feel humiliated though it happens on many business trips.

It was just sloppy leaving one piece of paper with a couple of notes and a phone number.
An expensive mistake finance-wise. Creates a whole conundrum of excuses to give to people
as to why it was curtailed. However, compared with some people losing relatives in New Zealand or North Africa
etc. it's not the end of the world.

I'm slightly relieved as a result of your advice that though they may scrutinize my next itinerary etc closely,
there will be no detailed autopsy on my previous visit...I hope.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Non judgemental in fact as well. I have no hang ups on what people do in private, as long as it is not illegal :)

I would not worry too much about it. If you want to meet people I suggest that you look at keeping the information in a secure file.
You are correct, a business traveller is not likely to book that sort of meeting into a list of appointments :)

What country are you a Citizen of? I assume you are visa exempt.

Toronto has been a PITA airport for me, Ottawa is far more relaxed.
Like you I have been travelling to Canada on business (very frequently), after my first "secondary" I learnt a lot about Canadian immigration.
Step 1 - cover all the bases,
Step 2 - be honest
Step 3 - cover all the bases...

Live and learn, eh?

Feb 23, 2011
Thanks again.

Yes visa exempt....British citizen though living in the Czech republic and I gather Czechs are being cracked down on due to an exponential rise in the number outstaying their visit periods.

Had to think what PITA stood for...and got it.
I've no experience of Ottawa.
Halifax I've never had problems, couple of quick questions and a wave through, but then it was mostly for leisure.
I hear Vancouver can be a PITA too.

Actually the best form of relaxation for me is finding a cable channel which broadcasts classic British comedy hits like Are You Being Served?
Maybe I'll stick to that and my favourite comfort food.

If it's not prying, are you always pulled over for secondary screening, or every other visit.
I'm curious to know what your misdemeanour was but will understand if you don't wish to list it here or even ion a private message.

I will see if going into Ottawa and a train connection elsewhere would be worth it.

Feb 23, 2011
I forgot to mention, Northern Irish which means I am automatically entitled to an Irish passport as well.
Though it might go against my moderate Unionist tendencies, would having an Irish passport help
or would the name also be triggered on the CBSA computer?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I didn't know that about NI folk.

A second passport, well they may not link the two...
If they do you may have more explaining to do LOL

PM sent.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Notexactlybillgates said:
I forgot to mention, Northern Irish which means I am automatically entitled to an Irish passport as well.
Though it might go against my moderate Unionist tendencies, would having an Irish passport help
or would the name also be triggered on the CBSA computer?
Triggered by name as well as passport.

Feb 23, 2011
It wasn't a serious prospect as I think it might cause further complications.
Thanks anyway.
It's been five days ago now so time and the prospect of a full return to work next week will distract me and
compared with what's happening in New Zealand, Libya etc it's necessary to keep it in perspective though on the night of the withdrawal,
when I was allowed to return to the hotel it almost felt like a bereavement and even with a double dose of over the counter sleeping tablets
I still only managed about 1 hour's sleep followed the next day by an over night flight. Monday evening back in the UK is was a 'zombie' feeling.
Hopefully other might learn from the experience....all bases to be covered, have the right paperwork and have no extraneous paperwork.
At least I dodn't have my laptop with me....