+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

PHCA

Aug 1, 2017
Calgary, AB
LANDED..........
A PR is entitled to enter Canada. Passport is needed to board a flight to Canada (passport plus valid PR card or PR TD) and then upon arrival in Canada it is needed primarily to establish identity at the PoE. As long as it is valid, it will suffice at the PoE.

Whether the airlines might deny boarding to a PR whose passport is only valid for less than six months, notwithstanding presenting a PR card or PR TD, I do not know. Canadian government rules allow the airline to permit such a traveler to board a flight to Canada, but the airlines are sometimes a bit wonky about passports with short-term validity.

Note, if you are not in Canada, and you are short of complying with the PR Residency Obligation, there is a substantial risk, if not likelihood, you could be reported for being inadmissible upon your arrival in Canada (even if you have a currently valid PR card). You would still be allowed to enter Canada, despite being issued a Departure Order. You would need to appeal that within 30 days, and win that appeal, in order to keep your PR status.
Thank you, dpenabill! I should have included a little bit of my background not to confuse you. So here goes -

May 2011 - Landed in Canada. Left 3 months after to finish my degree.
October 2015 - Returned to Canada a month after my graduation, and has not left since.
December 2016 - PR card expired. So right now I am still waiting for October 2017 to complete my 730 days here in Canada.

I have been following this thread for quite a while now and see that even when PRs complete the 730 days, they still get referred to secondary review. I met with an immigration consultant here in Calgary and she advised that when I send my PR Renewal application, I should send all documents that will prove that I have lived here for 2 years and have settled in Canada to avoid any issues.

I need to go back to Manila in March 2018, just for 3 weeks and I know I will have to consider getting PRTD in Manila because I have low chances of not being referred to secondary review. What do you guys think?

jayagoyal

Star Member
Feb 9, 2016
Hi
I received a letter from cic Kitchener on July 26 th that they are sending file back to cpc Sydney for issuance of PR card.. can you tell me how much days from now for reaching file to Sydney, production and finally getting my renewed PR card?

jyoti99

Aug 7, 2017
Hi Folks,
I'm applying for my PR renewal. My PR card expires in 2 months.
I have been in Canada for the past 5 years. However, I was unemployed for most of the period (I worked only for 2 months). Do you think my application will go to secondary review ? Please share your experience.

Much appreciated
Jyoti

ranjan05

Star Member
May 22, 2012
My card has gone for production on 5 th July still waiting to get the card. Can anybody share his timeline for how much time it takes to print card.

PHCA

Aug 1, 2017
Calgary, AB
LANDED..........
Hi Folks,
I'm applying for my PR renewal. My PR card expires in 2 months.
I have been in Canada for the past 5 years. However, I was unemployed for most of the period (I worked only for 2 months). Do you think my application will go to secondary review ? Please share your experience.

Much appreciated
Jyoti
Wow 5 years, good for you! Why don't you apply for citizenship then?
But I had a friend who also stayed for a long time in Canada and had her PR renewed, she said it took more or less 7 months for her renewal. Not sure if her applications went to secondary review though. Maybe just have some other supporting documents in case they request for it.

stephhhhh

Mar 2, 2013
Hello everyone! Did anyone wait over a year for his PR card to be renewed?
This is my status:
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on July 14, 2016.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 18, 2016.
  3. We started processing your application on August 18, 2016.
I received a letter saying it will be sent for secondary review on November 5, 2016, since then nothing! I called so many times to have nothing new... I' feeling hopeless at this point. I asked for my ATIP notes and since March my file was sent to Sydney, after that nothing new. I'm super pissed off as I stayed well over 2 years in Canada before I applied for the renewal. The call center suggested I write a letter to CPC Sydney to see what's going on. Did anyone do this? I prepared a letter that shows my anger and don't know if it's a good idea to send it... :-(

outflare

Star Member
Jun 20, 2017
T
This is my status:
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 18, 2016.
I received a letter saying it will be sent for secondary review on November 5, 2016, since then nothing! I called so many times to have nothing new... I' feeling hopeless at this point. I asked for my ATIP notes and since March my file was sent to Sydney, after that nothing new. I'm super pissed off as I stayed well over 2 years in Canada before I applied for the renewal. The call center suggested I write a letter to CPC Sydney to see what's going on. Did anyone do this? I prepared a letter that shows my anger and don't know if it's a good idea to send it... :-(
This is really sad. This is a lot of time. I am in a similar situation but it's been only 4 months till now. Did they ask for any additional documents. How much time did u spend. How much travelling do u have?, I hope it comes soon

bahaar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-09-2010
This is my status:
... :-(
I have submitted my application on August 2015. (yes, it is correct 2015). So far I requested ATIP several times. What I learned from my ATIP is that my file was not touched/reviewed between August 2015 and October 2016.

I received a letter about SR on January 2016 and later on October 2016 IRCC requested certificate of movement which I provided and since then NOTHING.

I wrote to IRCC as well as Minister of Immigration and received a generic replies only. Right now I had our MP involved in following up my file with IRCC to see what is happening and why no decision is made for two years!
I don’t mean to scare you, I am only sharing my experience. Every ones case is different. But my suggestion is:

1) Write an email but stick to the facts and get rid of emotions and anger in your writing.
2) Sit tight and don’t hold your breath. It will take a while
3) If you dont need to travel. live your life and dont think or care about your renewed PR. let it come when it comes.

Good luck

Last edited:

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
I have submitted my application on August 2015. (yes, it is correct 2015). So far I requested ATIP several times. What I learned from my ATIP is that my file was not touched/reviewed between August 2015 and October 2016.

Good luck
This is a bit scary. Why don't you request your application to be dropped and then file a fresh application for renewal? I read in this forum someone did like that and the second one got processed quickly though dropping the application took some time like 4-5 months, I guess.

rizwan150

Jan 16, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-04-2014
Doc's Request.
24-06-2014
Nomination.....
07-05-2014
Med's Request
26-06-2014 (Self MR + RPRF for both) & 31-07-2014 (Spouse MR),
Med's Done....
06-07-2014 (Self) & 18-08-2014 (Spouse)
Passport Req..
PPR-1 + PPR-2: 17-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2015, Passport Received: 17-03-2015
LANDED..........
26-05-2015

I received a letter about SR on January 2016 and later on October 2016 IRCC requested certificate of movement which I provided and since then NOTHING.

I wrote to IRCC as well as Minister of Immigration and received a generic replies only. Right now I had our MP involved in following up my file with IRCC to see what is happening and why no decision is made for two years!
I don’t mean to scare you, I am only sharing my experience. Every ones case is different. But my suggestion is:

1) Write an email but stick to the facts and get rid of emotions and anger in your writing.
3) If you dont need to travel. live your life and dont think or care about your renewed PR. let it come when it comes.

Good luck
Since its tooo long delay in your PR card processing, you may be now eligible to apply for citizenship, so are you applying for it?

I read in forums that someone was waiting for his PR to be renewed but in mean while, become eligible for applying for citizenship and applied and they get it.

fotkifolkslove

Dec 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
so I was sent for a secondary review and they are asking...

1) passport all pages copies
2) entry exit record

my question is Can I only send passport copies...? coz I cannot prepare the entry exit record..

stephhhhh

Mar 2, 2013
T

This is really sad. This is a lot of time. I am in a similar situation but it's been only 4 months till now. Did they ask for any additional documents. How much time did u spend. How much travelling do u have?, I hope it comes soon
Nope they never asked for any doc! I did 2.5 years in Canada and was away for the rest, what is sad is that it took 1.5 years for my husband to get his PR status as I sponsored him, and now for my card renewal they're just making me wait. This is ridiculous....Anyway I wrote a letter and now waiting to see if there is any change. I have to travel back coming through the USA when I travel, renting a car for a one-way trip the border across isn't cheap... I'll keep you posted.

stephhhhh

Mar 2, 2013

Good luck
This is just ridiculous on their end... I'm just blown away every time I read stories about how slow and ridiculous CIC is in their assessments! I do travel quite a bit, the last vacation I had to fly to the US, rent a car and cross the border, just plain annoying.... But again what can we do, we're just numbers that they look at when they please to. Disappointing! Good luck for your renewal.