+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

Kuttykutty

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
Not necessarily...
Mine was transferred to Sec Rev although I had completed 730 days three months prior to the expiry date.
I also tried to find the logic of moving to Sec Rev... But so far no luck.
Once it goes to Sec Rev, simply wait... meditate ... No one can even give a clue when it will return.

Tinaturner

Apr 30, 2015
The big question is , Will the new PR card return ? what if the secondary review process takes forever ?

Has anyone received his/her PR card after several months of waiting ? and if so was he/she able to understand why it took that long ? is it always the case that some papers are missing ? or simply the application is lying at a CIC office waiting for someone to grace us with his/her time to look at the application ?

Are all applications referred for Secondary Review ? if not is it a subjective process ? in a sense that the person reviewing the application might not be in the mood to look closely at an application so he/she simply dumps it for Secondary Review and things drag for months and months ?

Is there anyway to complain about this unfair treatment ? since calling CIC is a waist of time , who should we complain to or where should we go to really understand the reason behind sending an application for a secondary review and how long it will EXACTLY take to get the new card ?

I read in this post that people have been waiting for over 4 months and things might take up to 9 months or even a whole year !!! is that logical ? 12 months to review a couple of papers for one application ?

I really think it is unfair and unhealthy for anyone to live this turmoil and all people in this post should think of a way to at least get clear answers about our applications , not vague, unclear and indefinite answers for a CIC call center agent asking us to check the status of the application on ecas !

Kuttykutty

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
Can't agree more!
Waiting for a definite target date is reasonable!
But waiting for an unknown target gets really frustrated!

EddyIT

Star Member
Mar 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hussain13 said:
PR Card Applied: August , 2014
Secondary Review email: January, 2015
I didn't call CIC since I know there will be no use, they will update the status as available online.
Agreed, calling doesn't do much it seems.

Starting 15th week and no updates

alire_za

Nov 18, 2011
I called CIC ,said you must pass certain time to CIC make sure and convince you have plan to live canada,and said we dont have time fram for secondary review,just wait .....
it so frustrate
anyone get response from secondary review?

logical Pani

May 4, 2015
Hi All
I am in the same situation. I sent my application in December 2014 when I had more than 2.5 years of physical presence in Canada. I am living in Canada and now it is getting close to three years (even before the expiry of my pr card).
The file has gone for second review in April 2015. As it is already mentioned by other friends, as soon as the number of travels are high , the case will go for second review (my guess as well). In this way, it shows that the third party company is doing its job on time as there is no indicator for the cases with second review.
I will share any upcoming updates with you

osamaamany

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
logical Pani said:
Hi All
I am in the same situation. I sent my application in December 2014 when I had more than 2.5 years of physical presence in Canada. I am living in Canada and now it is getting close to three years (even before the expiry of my pr card).
The file has gone for second review in April 2015. As it is already mentioned by other friends, as soon as the number of travels are high , the case will go for second review (my guess as well). In this way, it shows that the third party company is doing its job on time as there is no indicator for the cases with second review.
I will share any upcoming updates with you
Dear Logiacal Pani,

You said that you were expecting second review due to number of travels are high ..May i know how many times you traveled since you became PR ? I traveled 3 times and each time was for only 3 to 5 days only ..with a total absence 12 days in 4 years ..do this considered as High ?!!

I am going to apply in next week for renewal ..I am a PR since Dec. 2010 and my PR expiring in Jan. 2016.

May 5, 2015
It's a little bit of a relief to see others on this forum going through similar process to my wife, but also disheartening that so many are experiencing the same thing... her timeline is like this:

- july 2014 sent in renewal (in prep for a trip in May 2015)
- dec 2014 original expiry date of permanent resident card
- dec 15 - referred for secondary review
- feb 2015 still no response or update or card, so submitted "urgent" request
- mar 2015 acknowledged application was now "urgent" but no timeline; because in secondary review, "urgent" doesn't matter
- apr 2015 contacted MP to assist, as still nothing from immigration
- may 2015 immigration replies to MP saying application "referred for further review"
- may 2015 - we are planning to take trip, but nervous because still don't have PR card replacement

My wide has been in Canada for 1700 days of the last 5 years (ie should be no problem for residency quota). How nervous should we be about her leaving the country without a PR card, and getting a travel document from outside the country?

The "wall of silence" is extremely frustrating and disheartening -- 10 months for a renewal without anything more than a 1 word status update on a website is extremely difficult to deal with.

Canvan003

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
Dudu2012 said:
you can still apply urgent process. I applied in Oct 214, and got SR in February. I applied urgent process in March and received card in April.

I have a question, should I book return ticket to apply urgent processing or oneway ticket is fine.?

Dreamszalone

Star Member
Oct 5, 2013
Honestly it really doesn't make much difference one way or return, but to make sense any person would book return ticket if he\she plans coming back. Your one way ticket will show you dont have set plans and they might ask you to apply to Travel Document. I personally would have gone with return ticket to make it look more genuine.

Thanks

Kuttykutty

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
I had asked this question to the Call centre Agent and he insisted on RETURN ticket to prove that you are coming back and the outward travel should start within 3 months also. Suggest attaching a covering letter giving in full detail the reason for request along with the return ticket (Itinerary and proof or receipt of FULL payment from the Travel agent / airline) when you upload the tickets to their web form, requesting for URGENT processing. Good Luck.

Canvan003

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
Thank you for your reply Dreamzalone.

@kuttykutty, thank you for the clarification. I was reading your post earlier today and you have mentioned that you filed your PR card renewal application in September 14. My question is, did you get your card renewed or is it still in secondary review processing?