+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligible to apply for immigration?

maneesh

Feb 1, 2006
Helloz all,
I am an Indian student who is currently doing his post graduate diploma in Hotel Management systems ,recently my wife joined me from india (on a visitor visa frm Dec1 2005-may 30 2006) After she came here we applied for her work permit,her application was accepted and she got a workpermit till 1Dec 2006,my Question is weather she is eligible to apply for immigration (as she is qualifying all the other prerequisites for application of permanent residency).I had a talk with a consultant who told me that it is compulsary to have a valid Canadian visa of more than a year to apply for immigration from Canada?
Please advise me on this .
thanks
Maneesh

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Re: Query!!!

Hi

maneesh said:
Helloz all,
I am an Indian student who is currently doing his post graduate diploma in Hotel Management systems ,recently my wife joined me from india (on a visitor visa frm Dec1 2005-may 30 2006) After she came here we applied for her work permit,her application was accepted and she got a workpermit till 1Dec 2006,my Question is weather she is eligible to apply for immigration (as she is qualifying all the other prerequisites for application of permanent residency).I had a talk with a consultant who told me that it is compulsary to have a valid Canadian visa of more than a year to apply for immigration from Canada?
Please advise me on this .
thanks
Maneesh
Change consultants the wording is admitted for 1 year. "Applicants for Permanent Residence
You must apply in your country of residence, your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted for at least one year.
If she attempts to apply to Buffalo, does she have a US visa? Very important if you and her have to attend interview. Will you remain in Canada for the next 2/3 years while the application is processed, if not then she should apply to Delhi.

PMM

maneesh

Feb 1, 2006
Thanks but i am still confused!!!

My wife came here on 16th of december and her visa has now been extended till dec 1st 2006 so that still falls short of one year but we are planning to get her visa extended though but as of now her visa is still a good few days short of a year .As for staying on is concerned i will continue with my studied for another 2-3 years so she can get her visa extended.
Please Advise is this a good strategy?
Thanks Maneesh