+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eligible for OHIP?

blackstilleto

Oct 26, 2008
are those who apply under CEC eligible for OHIP? I lookep up the eligibility on the OHIP website and one of the categories stated:

-you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada;

In my case, I have submitted the application and received the request medical exam and that on the letter it was said that they do not need additional documents. Does it mean i fall into that category above and can apply for OHIP?

thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Actually I think it's more meant for spouses who are applying inland and have reached first stage approval and still have months to wait for their PR. They might say that you could still be refused based on your medicals but you have nothing to lose by trying.

Canada.pr

Star Member
Jun 28, 2011
Hi,
I would like to rejuvenate this topic. Thanks for the original member who posted this question.

My situation
1) WP expiry date - 30th Sep 2011 (OHIP expires on the same day)
2) Applied for WP
3) Will soon apply for PR under CEC

At what step am I eligible to apply for OHIP based on my PR application?

I am not sure I understand Leon's reply.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada.pr said:
Hi,
I would like to rejuvenate this topic. Thanks for the original member who posted this question.

My situation
1) WP expiry date - 30th Sep 2011 (OHIP expires on the same day)
2) Applied for WP
3) Will soon apply for PR under CEC

At what step am I eligible to apply for OHIP based on my PR application?

I am not sure I understand Leon's reply.
You do not qualify to apply for OHIP just because you are applying for PR but if you have a work permit, you may qualify for OHIP because of that.

Canada.pr

Star Member
Jun 28, 2011
Leon,

I read some information from the link http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/ohip/eligibility.html that indicates that one is eligible for health card if CIC has confirmed that eligibility requirements are met.

Here are the excerpts from this link

you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada (please note: applicants for permanent residence are no longer required to provide confirmation of having satisfied the Immigration medical as a condition for OHIP coverage);

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have seen that clause and I am pretty sure it refers to applicants through the live-in caregiver and inland spousal who have gotten their first stage approval. These applications are different from other PR applications because they take longer and they have this first stage approval. The time it takes to get first stage approval with spousal inland is almost as long as the entire processing time for CEC and the time it takes to get first stage with caregiver is even longer.

How about you phone or go to OHIP and get that clarified and then you can tell us if I am wrong.

umairz

Aug 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2011
AOR Received.
19-10-2011
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
19-10-2011
Med's Done....
27-10-2011
Passport Req..
02-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-2011
LANDED..........
07-01-2012
blackstilleto said:
are those who apply under CEC eligible for OHIP? I lookep up the eligibility on the OHIP website and one of the categories stated:

-you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada;

In my case, I have submitted the application and received the request medical exam and that on the letter it was said that they do not need additional documents. Does it mean i fall into that category above and can apply for OHIP?

thanks!
I graudated last year and applied my PR JUSTA MONTH BEFORE .... but i have OHIP SINCE 6 TO 8 MONTHS NOW .... AS LONG AS YOU ARE A TAXPYAER FULL TIME EMPLOYEE YOU GET YOUR OHIP COVERAGE EVEN IF YOU ARE ON WORK PERMIT