+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility period - new forms

Niette

Apr 2, 2015
Hello.

In new forms (after Oct11) they mention everywhere the "eligibility period".
Is it the period of 1,095 days only or all 5 recent years?

For example my wife was on mat leave for 12 months, out of them 7 months she has visited her parents back home (so this period is not calculated among 1095 days in calculator) .
Should she mention this period (while out of Canada) when listing all her employments in section 11?
If she will not mention it , it will create a "gap" .If she will it may contradict to "eligibility notion.

Please help.
Thank yoy

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's five years from the DATE you submit your application. You don't decide the period - you complete the residency calculator with the date you intend to apply and if you are eligible it will tell you the residency period that you then enter into the app form.

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Hello.

In new forms (after Oct11) they mention everywhere the "eligibility period".
Is it the period of 1,095 days only or all 5 recent years?

For example my wife was on mat leave for 12 months, out of them 7 months she has visited her parents back home (so this period is not calculated among 1095 days in calculator) .
Should she mention this period (while out of Canada) when listing all her employments in section 11?
If she will not mention it , it will create a "gap" .If she will it may contradict to "eligibility notion.

Please help.
Thank yoy
5 years from date if its tommorow exactly five years back if its NOv 1 2017. Itll date back to nov 1 2012 if she was away during this period include it

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
The eligibility period is a fixed 5-year "continuous" period, regardless of when she became a PR. The eligibility period may start before she became a PR. It starts 5 years before the date you plan to apply for citizenship. You must provide information on the entire eligibility period, no gaps. If she was not employed, that's what you must state for whatever part of the period. If she was residing out of Canada, that's what you have to mention. If "back home" is not Canada, and if 183 days of those those 7 months fall within the last 4 years from the date she wishes to apply, she must provide a police clearance from that country as well. In fact, if she lived outside of Canada in any country for more than 183 days within the 4 years before applying, even before becoming a PR, she needs to provide a police clearance for that country. This is a new requirement that forces any PR who just became eligible (3yrs to 3.5yrs) and was not living in Canada by the time they became a PR, to provide a police clearance.

Niette

Apr 2, 2015
Thank you for this information : So another question is , if we are speaking about 5 years back from the day she applies, how should she fill out the form "residence outside of Canada" if she stayed whole period with her parent (while on mat leave) and I continued reside in Canada. It seems like this form is only for those who followed their Canadian spouse or parents outside Canada or were employed by Canadian government outside of Canada. But her case is totally different. What should she do then?

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
Thank you for this information : So another question is , if we are speaking about 5 years back from the day she applies, how should she fill out the form "residence outside of Canada" if she stayed whole period with her parent (while on mat leave) and I continued reside in Canada. It seems like this form is only for those who followed their Canadian spouse or parents outside Canada or were employed by Canadian government outside of Canada. But her case is totally different. What should she do then?
This has been discussed on the forums before. The residence outside of Canada form is only for those who can claim physical presence credit while living outside Canada. This is an error on the part of IRCC, which badly designed the forms and instructions. My guess is that since applying for citizenship was made "sooner" they just had no choice but to make it "harder", and ended up overlooking the obvious. I know this doesn't help, I do not have the answer. I decided that after I was screwed by C-24 and now C-6 seems shaky in terms of requirements, I will sit it out until the dust settles and then I will apply. Although I'd like to, I am not desperate to become a Canadian, at least not under these circumstances and chaos.