+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Elevated Creatinine

Pius23

Sep 27, 2020
Yes you’ll likely need more testing. You should be consulting a GP and a nephrologist about your results to determine why your results are high and get treatment.
Thanks. Will that account for inadmissability? Just thinking aloud.

jackhcd

Star Member
Nov 21, 2016
Category........
CEC
Hello! I just finished my medical examinations required by the immigration and I found out that I have elevated creatinine level. My result came out 1.3 mg dL but the normal value should be not greater than 1.2. Will the immigration require me to go see a nephrologist? Will it also affect our spousal sponsorship application? Thank you for your responses.
Speaking as an HCP your creatinine level is barely over the standard bandwidth and should be fine. In addition your eGFR (derived partly from your serum creatinine level) will be used to assess your renal function.

@Pius23 while further assessment may be needed for your case, your given eGFR (57) will not put your IME assessment into Grade B (significant abnormal findings present and/or an abnormal history). If you scroll down to the section "Appendix IV: List of immigration medical examination technical instructions" and expand the section "Diabetes, hypertension, chronic renal or cardiac diseases" an algorithm/flowchart is provided for your reference. It would warrant further testing if you have any history of chronic kidney diseases or end-stage kidney diseases (eGFR <30).

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/panel-members-guide.html#sec1.5.14.1

Reactions: Pius23 and rrss13

Pius23

Sep 27, 2020
Speaking as an HCP your creatinine level is barely over the standard bandwidth and should be fine. In addition your eGFR (derived partly from your serum creatinine level) will be used to assess your renal function.

@Pius23 while further assessment may be needed for your case, your given eGFR (57) will not put your IME assessment into Grade B (significant abnormal findings present and/or an abnormal history). If you scroll down to the section "Appendix IV: List of immigration medical examination technical instructions" and expand the section "Diabetes, hypertension, chronic renal or cardiac diseases" an algorithm/flowchart is provided for your reference. It would warrant further testing if you have any history of chronic kidney diseases or end-stage kidney diseases (eGFR <30).

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/panel-members-guide.html#sec1.5.14.1
That chart is great. But it looks like eGFR <30 is the critical. I believe further test would be required. But Am sure also they checked for diabetes, right? Also.the PP checked my BP during the physical and cardio too. So I wonder what might be the cause. I have also never been on dialysis before,and no diabetes and hypertension diagnosed. But one thing I may be a victim is I don't drink water much and during the day of test I drank water at 1 hour yo my test 500ml.Anyway thanks again for the link very helpful

Reactions: jackhcd

jackhcd

Star Member
Nov 21, 2016
Category........
CEC
That chart is great. But it looks like eGFR <30 is the critical. I believe further test would be required. But Am sure also they checked for diabetes, right? Also.the PP checked my BP during the physical and cardio too. So I wonder what might be the cause. I have also never been on dialysis before,and no diabetes and hypertension diagnosed. But one thing I may be a victim is I don't drink water much and during the day of test I drank water at 1 hour yo my test 500ml.Anyway thanks again for the link very helpful
Happy to assist. Yes panel physicians check for everything (blood test, blood pressure, urinalysis etc). Sometimes people exhibit elevated blood pressure for various reasons (e.g. white coat syndrome, drinking excess amount of liquid) which prompt multiple BP measurements on the spot and even to some extent were referred to cardiologist for further assessment. I would not be too concerned in your case and as a rule of thumb, no news is good news.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are so many reasons for kidney issues. Some ufortunately cause the kidneys to deteriorate fast so those should be eliminated. In general it would best to figure out why OP has kidney function issues and try medication and lifestyle changes to increase his lab number.

Pius23

Sep 27, 2020

@jackhcd .I read fully the information on the link and my question is ,so far as the eGFR is less than 60 . Meaning I will not be Grade B. Does that mean automatic inadmissible? Because also the algorithm talks about <30. Cheers

jackhcd

Star Member
Nov 21, 2016
Category........
CEC
@jackhcd .I read fully the information on the link and my question is ,so far as the eGFR is less than 60 . Meaning I will not be Grade B. Does that mean automatic inadmissible? Because also the algorithm talks about <30. Cheers
The higher the eGFR the better the renal function is. The guideline specifies all IMEs for clients with renal function impairment (eGFR < 30 mL) must be graded B. An eGFR of saying 57 would therefore be better than <30 but it's up to officer's discretion on the grading as well as the need for further testing.

Though I am not an IME expert, the assignment of Grade B (significant abnormal findings present and/or an abnormal history) does not automatically make applicants inadmissible but certainly has higher chance than the assignment of Grade A (no abnormal findings present and no significant abnormal history). Based on the overall assessment the IME officer concludes whether applicant's condition might reasonably be expected to cause an excessive demand on health or social services.

Pius23

Sep 27, 2020
The higher the eGFR the better the renal function is. The guideline specifies all IMEs for clients with renal function impairment (eGFR < 30 mL) must be graded B. An eGFR of saying 57 would therefore be better than <30 but it's up to officer's discretion on the grading as well as the need for further testing.

Though I am not an IME expert, the assignment of Grade B (significant abnormal findings present and/or an abnormal history) does not automatically make applicants inadmissible but certainly has higher chance than the assignment of Grade A (no abnormal findings present and no significant abnormal history). Based on the overall assessment the IME officer concludes whether applicant's condition might reasonably be expected to cause an excessive demand on health or social services.
Great!!! But I just checked the estimation of the eGFR using the CKD-EPI equation. There is a race (non African American/African American).Am sure they used non African American for mine. Because if I use African American with creatinine,Age, and sex I get 66 but if I use the other is what they got 57.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As I have already specified that you need to be looking into your rental issues no matter what. You want to do whatever you can to keep your kidneys and remain healthy. If you can see a physician and identify if you have a condition that causes loss of kidney function or have kidney disease there are trearment options and changes to your diet which can improve your kidney function and your lab results. I would be adopting a diet that is easy for your kidneys to process right now which may make a difference to future lab values if they are requested. Exploring medication options would also be a good thing to do as well. If you could be healthier and lose some weight through diet an exercise that is also a way to help with things like lowering your bp and chancesvof becoming diabetic or prediabetic. The diet Would need to be a kidney friendly diet not a normal weight loss diet.

star100

Apr 2, 2020
My creatinine - serum/plasma is 0.8 compared to the normal range of 0.9 - 1.3

Is this normal or will they ask for more tests? My doctor refused to comments on any of my reports.
Did they ask you for further tests ? How did your medical progressed ?

Ahmedbaloch

Dec 13, 2021
Hi . Any updates on your case ? .