+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Elections Canada website: Now Registered to vote 6 weeks after Oath❤️

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
Hello Fellow Canadians and soon-to-be Canadians

I received Canadian citizenship on April 24, 2018, about 6 weeks ago.
Days after oath, I undertook all necessary steps like applying for a passport, updating my banking file, register with B.C. elections, ... everything went smoothly except for my registration with Elections Canada.
I spoke with Elections Canada officers many times to check my name was on the Voter’s register, and almost every day since then, I use to check if name was added to the voters’ register through Elections Canada website. Each time I received a message saying “Based on the information provided, we cannot confirm you are registered to vote”.

So, tonight, I went to Elections Canada again to check if my name was finally entered, well I received some great news, I received the following message:” Based on the information provided, you are registered to vote at the address provided below”.

Finally!!!!

Now my question is : on the citizenship application form, there is a box that we need to check so that we are automatically registered with Elections Canada after being granted citizenship. I wonder why checking that box didn’t result in having me added automatically to the voters’ register. I remember reading similar experience on this platform.

Reactions: Quiches

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Interesting. I checked on both websites after reading this, and while I'm registered in the Qc lists, I'm still not there on the federal one, more than 3 months after oath.

Maybe they only update their lists once in a while and all new canadians in a certain period will be added in a bulk ?

Reactions: scorph

Quink

Oct 28, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
AOR Received.
30-04-2015 (EP and UCI)
Med's Request
07-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-05-2015 (ECAS updated 20-05-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
IP update 26-8-2015, DM 14-9-2015, READY FOR VISA EMAIL 21-9-2015
LANDED..........
30-09-2015 (PR Card received 13-01-2016)
It's interesting that the provincial ones have gone quickly... I wonder if it's related to any elections coming up? There are municipal elections coming up in BC in October (and also in other provinces I think) so maybe they have to be more on top of those. There isn't going to be a federal vote until next year though so there's less urgency there.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Not to worry, it should be ok.
Main thing is your valid travel docs which should always be kept valid and up-to-date in case urgent travel comes up.

deepa1239

Mar 8, 2013
Hello Fellow Canadians and soon-to-be Canadians

I received Canadian citizenship on April 24, 2018, about 6 weeks ago.
Days after oath, I undertook all necessary steps like applying for a passport, updating my banking file, register with B.C. elections, ... everything went smoothly except for my registration with Elections Canada.
I spoke with Elections Canada officers many times to check my name was on the Voter’s register, and almost every day since then, I use to check if name was added to the voters’ register through Elections Canada website. Each time I received a message saying “Based on the information provided, we cannot confirm you are registered to vote”.

So, tonight, I went to Elections Canada again to check if my name was finally entered, well I received some great news, I received the following message:” Based on the information provided, you are registered to vote at the address provided below”.

Finally!!!!

Now my question is : on the citizenship application form, there is a box that we need to check so that we are automatically registered with Elections Canada after being granted citizenship. I wonder why checking that box didn’t result in having me added automatically to the voters’ register. I remember reading similar experience on this platform.
Why updating banking file

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
Dear friends,

For the first time in my life, I have voted. First on BC municipal elections about 2 weeks ago on October 20 and second, today for the referendum on BC electoral reform.

I must admit there is a big difference between being a Permanent Resident vs Canadian citizen!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Now my question is : on the citizenship application form, there is a box that we need to check so that we are automatically registered with Elections Canada after being granted citizenship. I wonder why checking that box didn’t result in having me added automatically to the voters’ register.
Your interaction appears to have accelerated the formality of adding your name to the list of electors (electors are individuals entitled to vote in an election).

Otherwise, my impression is that names of new electors generated from naturalized citizenship referrals will not show up until Elections Canada generates a VOTER LIST for a PARTICULAR Federal Election, which obviously cannot happen until AFTER a specific Federal Election is actually scheduled. (At the moment, it appears there will not be a Federal election until the latter part of 2019, except perhaps for special by-elections in specific Ridings.)

That is, there is the National Register of Electors, which a new citizen's name is added to IF the individual checked the box for this on the application. Apart from that, Elections Canada then produces a VOTER LIST for particular Federal elections and referendums. The latter, the creation of a VOTER LIST (list of electors), is specifically in respect to a particular election.

Generally (perhaps with some exceptions), individual electors (again, persons entitled and registered to vote) will NOT ordinarily receive personal communication of their status as an elector until they receive specific information for a scheduled, upcoming election.

Thus, there was no reason to be concerned about being registered. Moreover, in any event one can easily register to vote in Canada, including at the same time as actually voting.

Except for Quebec, registration for Provincial and Municipal elections is separate. And while I am not sure about all the provinces, at least in Ontario registration for Municipal elections is separate from registration for Provincial elections. Both very, very easy.