+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
An update to those who are following this topic about the unknown cut off date and month.

I just made a quick look onto todays Gazette and nothing new as usual.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
1.do you have a link to this publication?
2. When is their next issue ? Is this weekly or monthly?

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is the link http://www.gazette.gc.ca/gazette/home-accueil-eng.php

The Act is expected to be published in Part II, which usually is issued bi-weekly. The real cut off date is also expected to be published there after the final notice.

If I was eligible to apply this or next month I would not be worried about the real cut off date.

Destined

Star Member
Jul 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MUFC,
Would that mean , All applicants till May 20 can apply under old rules of residency?? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Thankyou.

MUFC said:

The Act is expected to be published in Part II, which usually is issued bi-weekly. The real cut off date is also expected to be published there after the final notice.

If I was eligible to apply this or next month I would not be worried about the real cut off date.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
MUFC said:
june 17 is my date (-:

A small survey : who else is a Junie applicant ?
M i the only one here ?

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Destined said:
MUFC,
Would that mean , All applicants till May 20 can apply under old rules of residency?? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Thankyou.
For me is clear that all the applicants which will be eligible to apply before June 30th will apply under the old rules.

This Act is one of those big and complex Laws and it is a common scenario to expect a small delay of the actual enforcement.

For the very same reason there is no official and confirmed date and month.

When there is a huge overhaul like this , and when the official statement says something like "Approx." "Around", "Sometime in" that means a delay of at least couple of weeks.

There will be a final notice and after the final notice there will be again a buffer of time until the actual cut off date.
It will not happen all of a sudden.

There are still intermediary steps before the actual enforcement.

mirki

Jun 12, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I have another question to you: I am working on the residency calculator. Should I include air tickets or other supporting documents (e.g. conference invitation etc.).? I only included 1 air ticket because the entry date was not legible. Would you suggest adding all the tickets?
Thanks!

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
For those who still think that the bills including C24 is not the main voters concern or cornerstone to vote for which party. Look at the result of provincial election in Alberta. Alberta votes for the progressive conservatives since 40 years. No other party could find a place in Alberta. The NDP won 54% of votes!!!. Do not forget Ontario and Quebec provincials too!! I know well many immigrants moved to vote for NDPs including Chinese who are not usually a part of the voters mass. Everybody is afraid from the attitude of the government and those Bills. If the conservatives declare the effective date of Bill C24 before the federal elections I think it will be as a suicide and they will have no chance to win. It will be a fatal mistake. So I think who has to apply before elections mostly will have a good chance to apply on the old rules.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
surgi said:
For those who still think that the bills including C24 is not the main voters concern or cornerstone to vote for which party. Look at the result of provincial election in Alberta. Alberta votes for the progressive conservatives since 40 years. No other party could find a place in Alberta. The NDP won 54% of votes!!!. Do not forget Ontario and Quebec provincials too!! I know well many immigrants moved to vote for NDPs including Chinese who are not usually a part of the voters mass. Everybody is afraid from the attitude of the government and those Bills. If the conservatives declare the effective date of Bill C24 before the federal elections I think it will be as a suicide and they will have no chance to win. It will be a fatal mistake. So I think who has to apply before elections mostly will have a good chance to apply on the old rules.
Keep deaming, i would say the other way around, the party has to show their voters that they stop fraud and monkey bussiness stuff with their new law, it will bring them votes, not losing.
Its My Opinion only

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
ari5323 said:
Keep deaming, i would say the other way around, the party has to show their voters that they stop fraud and monkey bussiness stuff with their new law, it will bring them votes, not losing.
Its My Opinion only
the progressive conservatives have loyal voters they never lose them at election time. They can not do more if they lose the new Canadians. Here is the battle between parties.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Surgi
For now Canada Day seems the most likely date, but if the law is not changed after July 1st and the final notice is still missing your idea will look more realistic.

Don't get me wrong , I'm not rejecting your thoughts actually to some extend they make sense.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mirki said:
Hi Everyone,

I have another question to you: I am working on the residency calculator. Should I include air tickets or other supporting documents (e.g. conference invitation etc.).? I only included 1 air ticket because the entry date was not legible. Would you suggest adding all the tickets?
Thanks!
There is no need to add any tickets. Just follow the check list.

mirki

Jun 12, 2014
Hi All,

I realized that all of my previous residency calculations were wrong. I was putting the date I arrived to an overseas country, not the date I left Canada. There is 1 day difference and in total of 7 trips, this makes 7 days difference. I can no longer apply in May. But it is even worse: I am leaving Canada on June 4th for four months and according to the new calculation I meet the residency requirements on June 5th!!

This is too bad. But I was wondering whether can I complete the application package and have a friend of mine sent it to CIC while I am away? (say on June 6th, hoping that the law won't come into effect by then). This sounds reasonable to me now, but I lost faith in my ability to deal with these issues.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For me it sounds like a denial after a long wait on the slow RQed line.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
mirki said:
Hi All,

I realized that all of my previous residency calculations were wrong. I was putting the date I arrived to an overseas country, not the date I left Canada. There is 1 day difference and in total of 7 trips, this makes 7 days difference. I can no longer apply in May. But it is even worse: I am leaving Canada on June 4th for four months and according to the new calculation I meet the residency requirements on June 5th!!

This is too bad. But I was wondering whether can I complete the application package and have a friend of mine sent it to CIC while I am away? (say on June 6th, hoping that the law won't come into effect by then). This sounds reasonable to me now, but I lost faith in my ability to deal with these issues.
Whoa, whoa. Not sure you are asking what you appear to be asking.

Turns out you will not meet the current residency requirements until June 5th, which means you cannot apply until June 6th (applicant must meet the qualifications as of the day before the application is signed), but you will be leaving Canada on June 4th . . . so you wonder . . . what?

Are you wondering if you can sign and date the application after June 5th, declare presence in Canada until that day, and thus be processed for citizenship under the current law, even though you will leave Canada on June 4th?

No. Emphatically, NO.

You can certainly sign the application before you leave Canada and leave it with a trusted friend to mail to CIC. But what good would that do? Even if you post-date it, for the 6th of June say, your residency calculation must still accurately report all dates you left Canada right up to the day before you sign it, and it appears that reporting you left on June 4th will make you one day short of 1095 days APP.

Fudge that day in the residency calculation at your peril. (With potential consequences more serious than merely being denied citizenship.)

Appears you are facing a October 2016 qualifying date, at the soonest.

Of course you can make a shortfall application, applying based on 1094 days of actual presence. Make no mistake, though, this would be a shortfall application. Being close, even that close, will not mean being assessed based on meeting the 1095 days of actual presence test. This is the test which is, at the least, being applied for the vast, vast majority of applicants. We are not even sure to what extent there are any ongoing exceptions made, let alone what might qualify for being assessed based on a qualitative test. Odds of success for a shortfall application for an applicant who left Canada the day of or a day after making the application are dismal at best.

surgi said:
Actually the NDP only received 41 percent of the vote, but did win 53 seats in the Provincial Parliament.

This is a huge turn around, but obviously having a lot more to do with the scandal-plagued Alison Redford (last elected Premier of Alberta), major missteps by Jim Prentice (took over when Redford resigned due to the scandals), and dramatic changes in the Alberta economy in large part due to the collapse of oil prices. So far as the debates and major media coverage went, this election had nothing to do with immigration or citizenship policies, and of course the Provincial government itself has nothing to do with Canada's immigration or citizenship policies.

I am nonetheless hoping that the Conservative Party is similarly poised to take a beating in the Federal Election, for lots of reasons, including this government's mishandling of the economy.

How it will go is up in the air . . . way, way up in the air.

MUFC said:

Reminders:

The Act will NOT be published in Part II of the Gazette. Acts of Parliament are published in Part III.

And the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act (SCCA; also known as "Bill C-24") has already been published in the Gazette, again in Part III, published last September 3, 2014.

Date of Enforcement:

Simple observation is that what is meant by and entailed in the "coming-into-force" date is the same as what is meant by "date of enforcement." They are one and the same. The only difference is what this means, and particularly what it means for any applications already made or in process. The latter is governed by what are categorized as "transitional provisions," which for purposes of the requirements governing adult grant citizenship are mostly specified in section 31(1) of the SCCA (subject to other provisions governing certain aspects of procedure, including those which are already in force since last August).

Whatever date the Governor in Council fixes as the date section 3 of the SCCA is to come-into-force will be the applicable enforcement date for the revised requirements applicable to adult grant citizenship. That is, there will be NO delay in enforcement between the coming-into-force date and the date upon which applications will be subject to the revised provisions.

Thus, the revised adult grant citizenship requirements will take effect as of the date that is fixed as the coming into force date for section 3 of the SCCA. That is what "coming into force" means.