+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

ohms

Jun 20, 2012
my friends and I have called CIC call centre several times, and always received the June 19 answer. however, today my friend was told by the agent: "we were given the 19th of June as the effective date, however it is tentative/not confirmed"
not sure if this means anything...

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
ohms said:
my friends and I have called CIC call centre several times, and always received the June 19 answer. however, today my friend was told by the agent: "we were given the 19th of June as the effective date, however it is tentative/not confirmed"
not sure if this means anything...
It means what many have been saying: the actual date the revised provisions will come into force is not publicly known, and probably is not definitively known by any more than a small circle of individuals close to the PM and, possibly, at the top of the CIC hierarchy.

As of today, April 24, we know that the Governor in Council has not made the order fixing the date the new provisions come into force (per Parliament web site updated as of today).

Beyond that, the news could come any day now, literally, any day. My office pool bet, for June 1st, is less and less among the favourites touted by others. July 1st appears to be looming ever larger as the favourite. A lot are putting money on June 19th but that really seems like a long shot among long shots to me.

As for reading the tea leaves, mine dried out and it is past tea time here for the day, so perhaps next week we'll have another look, or perhaps try rolling some dice.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please people don't waste your time asking that information from the call centre clerks. They don't know.

I also realized that the real cut off date will not jump out from the call centre.

Follow only the official statements with official confirmed information.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
My guess is july first.
for the following reasons:
1. canadian day is the right day to make changes to the citizenship law.
2. Its close to election, and the PM wants his voters should remember this on the election day.

P.S
my application date is june 19, lets keep the fingers crossed.
thank you Mr. Dpenabill for you great effort to clarify for us the law stuf.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Because if they publish it, it will no longer be a mystery. :)

valigap31 said:
Why they don't publish the effective date ??

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
valigap31 said:
Why they don't publish the effective date ??
Because they probably don't want a flood of applications submitted at last minute. That aside, the changes needed to implement takes time and the one year approx is the given timeline for CIC to complete all the changes. The government cannot give a firm fix date until CIC has finished the changes. So until CIC finished the changes, only then will they be able to give the date.

na123

Star Member
Dec 28, 2014
In the next 6-8 weeks sometime around the middle of June we will probably know the date.

Anyway I think that everybody who could apply after August 1st has probably lost hope that they will be able to apply under the old law and no longer following this law closely, and since everybody until April has already been able to apply, it means only May, June, July applicants probably think they still have a good chance to make it and are the ones being stressed out with the July applicants being the ones stressed out the most.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think that those of you guys who will apply in May and June have a reason to be worried about.
May and June applicants have a great chance to apply under the old rules.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
If CIC is withholding the implementation date to prevent flooding of applications, then they will give not more than 1 day notice.

Personally i feel they will reveal the date on the date of implementation or after implementing it.

MUFC said:
I don't think that those of you guys who will apply in May and June have a reason to be worried about.
May and June applicants have a great chance to apply under the old rules.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
CanadianCountry said:
If CIC is withholding the implementation date to prevent flooding of applications, then they will give not more than 1 day notice.

Personally i feel they will reveal the date on the date of implementation or after implementing it.
It would be unfair to the applicants that mail their application under the old rule only to have it return by CIC because mail arrived to CIC under the new rule.

1 - 2 weeks notice is enough to give everyone time to get their application mailed in time before the deadline.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also used to think that they might hold the date unknown until the very last moment, but I've changed my mind after the reminder and the 1 month comment period published in the Gazette back in Mid-March.

There will be enough notice in advance.

The changes are really big and complex and I don't think they will be ready before July.

All these changes involve New IT implementations, Training, Waiting for the new legal authority which will give CIC the chance to share personal info, Establishing new Info channels between CBSA, CRA, CIC... The list is goes on and on...

On top of that there are parts of that Bill which are expected to come in force before the major portion, For example The new authority to revoke the Canadian citizenship.

They are not ready yet.

The changes are more complex because of the fact that not only CIC as institution is involved.

That's the reason why there is still no official date, Month and season.

These huge changes needs time.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
MUFC said:
I also used to think that they might hold the date unknown until the very last moment, but I've changed my mind after the reminder and the 1 month comment period published in the Gazette back in Mid-March.

There will be enough notice in advance.

The changes are really big and complex and I don't think they will be ready before July.

All these changes involve New IT implementations, Training, Waiting for the new legal authority which will give CIC the chance to share personal info, Establishing new Info channels between CBSA, CRA, CIC... The list is goes on and on...

On top of that there are parts of that Bill which are expected to come in force before the major portion, For example The new authority to revoke the Canadian citizenship.

They are not ready yet.

The changes are more complex because of the fact that not only CIC as institution is involved.

That's the reason why there is still no official date, Month and season.

These huge changes needs time.
That is why they were given about a year to complete the changes.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It will take effect on 19th June, 2015.

MUFC said:
Is that guess coming again from "informed" call centre clerk? Why you guys keep on wasting time calling those people. They keep on saying different months and dates.
It was the date the Minister said in a interview.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And where is the interview that he is saying any date?

I'm sure that no link will be provided from an interview where he is mentioning any date but give it a try ;)